cb4

WIP Barbary Corsair Xebec

I look forward to seeing this as a finished ship. Love the goal and the first steps you have taken.

:pir_laugh2:

Forward half of the main battery, with weather-deck.

5910875871_48d2d64320_b.jpg

5910875957_969ae7d1aa_b.jpg

The weather deck is made up of removable sheaves, so I can work on the ship...

5910876079_8dc0ac6a6f_b.jpg

The tile on the gunport closest to the foremast seems a little bit out of place IMO.

And on the decks you can still see quite a lot of framework between the cannons. Perhaps you could cover those up.

But outside of these small things I think you're doing an excellent job. The shape is superb.

Have you considered changing the cannon wheels into brown ones? Perhaps that would look better on tan decks.

Keep it up :thumbup:

AWESOME !

It's coming along great, I'd love to see this ship for real when it's finished, great work so far.

Somehow I'm not bothered with the frames sticking out of the deck, it gives the ship a certain style,

but maybe you could smooth-en the inside of the hull a bit, the parts that stick up above the weather deck.

And I agree with admiral croissant the wheels of the gun's would probably look better in brown or not Tan.

for the rest, keep it going :thumbup:

Bart

The tile on the gunport closest to the foremast seems a little bit out of place IMO.

And on the decks you can still see quite a lot of framework between the cannons. Perhaps you could cover those up.

But outside of these small things I think you're doing an excellent job. The shape is superb.

Have you considered changing the cannon wheels into brown ones? Perhaps that would look better on tan decks.

Keep it up :thumbup:

Those tiles are there so that guns 1 & 2 can bear fairly far forward and also far enough back to fire as part of the broadside.

The structural members really can't be covered up any further without creating lumps on the deck or raising the deck, and I'm unwilling to do either. The middle part of the deck above the keel should be considered unfinished.

Brown wheels may indeed work better - however, the tan ones are the only round plates I have in sufficient quantity for 20 cannons, right now. At four wheels per gun, it really adds up :pir_laugh2:

Brown wheels may indeed work better - however, the tan ones are the only round plates I have in sufficient quantity for 20 cannons, right now. At four wheels per gun, it really adds up :pir_laugh2:

Try 64 guns! :pir-oh: This is really looking great though. Just out of curiosity, is there anything holding your cannon in place? Or are they loose on the deck? Keep it up :thumbup:

:jollyroger: DPW

Try 64 guns! :pir-oh: This is really looking great though. Just out of curiosity, is there anything holding your cannon in place? Or are they loose on the deck? Keep it up :thumbup:

:jollyroger: DPW

Nope, the first sizeable swell will send a gun down a hatchway and through the bottom of the ship :pir-oh:

Eventually I'll have proper breeching and everything, but right now I'm just making sure they all fit and have room to recoil. I sometimes wonder how our lego ships accommodate the 12 men per pair of guns for 24 pdrs :pir_laugh2:

Well done cb4!

It's really nice to see a brick-built hull, especially one as good as yours. The overall shape is beautiful, and the cannons are good as well.

It does look a bit weird with the gunports up though, and the cannons should have brown wheels.

Keep it up and I can't wait for the next update! :thumbup:

Another update, at long, long last. Finally she has as completed hull, all her guns, and a proper colour scheme.

5992357738_e88a0ee04b_b.jpg

5991800109_ff38f7591a_b.jpg

5991800197_d6ab3f04a1_b.jpg

5991800331_1e2988934a_b.jpg

Quarterdeck and poop, with decoration. I'm not sure what the grating on the poop is all about (weight savings??) but I'm going to try to reproduce it faithfully.

6054676601_5e7ee8cb83_b.jpg

6055227098_a2c1f3d65a_b.jpg

6055227272_d9443d50b6_b.jpg

Just love it. By far one of the most promissing models i´ve seen. Your tecnique is superb and very well done. Surely this will become a real stunner.

I still love it :) the more you get to finishing the hull the better it looks.

I think the grating may be there for weight reasons that way they would need lighter supports to keep that piece of deck up, as its not resting on any frame. And maybe it is to see the rudder or to lift the rudder out. I could think of multiple reasons to put gratings there.

I also like the way the cannons look compared to the ship in size and shape, I personally would make the cannon carriage wheels black or brown not tan, because the ship is already tan but that is just me.

Keep it up

Bart

oh ah aaaaah, fantastic, I want it and it's not even finished, the shape is so perfect, it's a delicious ship :pir_laugh2:

The technique and overall quality here is phenomenal. I'm still just really impressed with how you built the ship's frame. Like you're building a real ship or something.

:pir-oh3: I don't really know what to say, it's just so perfect. You're setting a really high standard. Edited by Skipper

This is turning out to be 1 beautiful vessel! :thumbup:

The only thing I don't really like is the rudder, it has a bit too much gaps in there.

Have you considered to make the rudder out of slopes and use a bit of a different hinge for it?

image002.jpg

I hope that picture is clear, you can of course use inverted slopes on the back of the rudder as well to make it all sloped.

This is turning out to be 1 beautiful vessel! :thumbup:

The only thing I don't really like is the rudder, it has a bit too much gaps in there.

Have you considered to make the rudder out of slopes and use a bit of a different hinge for it?

I hope that picture is clear, you can of course use inverted slopes on the back of the rudder as well to make it all sloped.

Are those ball joints of some kind? I can't really see properly.

Beakhead, and preliminary attempt at rigging to get the shape right. The ship is outgrowing my ability to photograph it!

6087411920_f677d99ee2_b.jpg

6087412016_555aac4b5f_b.jpg

Bed sheets. Push a table, like the kitchen table up against a wall, tape a bed sheet to the wall above and allow it to drape, evenly across the table with a no creases. Should give you more than enough back drop to photograph against. Also if you make it smooth enough it’ll not only look like a professional studio, but you can later use a photo editor to replace the background with scenery.

The ship looks great!

I think it does look more impressive and big now it has outgrown the background :pir-classic:

It's a beautiful ship and the masts look good. I had to get used to the stump tops but that's unimportant.

Keep it up. I can't wait to see this with sails.Perhaps you could also add a few more details on the decks.

Yes, a bedsheet is a great idea - I'll have to try that.

The deck isn't by any means finished, I need to build the galley, the longboat, and the windlass at the very least, and figure out where the hatches will go. I've rigged it temporarily so I can get the proportions right, figure out where the stays and shrouds will go, and deal with any issues that come up. I've discovered that the yards aren't rigid enough (the mainyard is 90 studs long, so you can imagine how flexible it is), and that I don't have the anchors for the foremast shrouds in quite the right position.