sonicstarlight

MOC: Galaxy Diner and Empire Theater

I'm looking forward to any instructions you could provide in the future, and I wish you luck with doing more virtual work. I normally work digitally when creating MOCs, because I don't have a big pile of bricks available for MOCing. That way I can order the bricks and build the creation afterwards, when I'm happy with it. It's not the cheapest way of doing it, but it keeps me from having to store a ton of bricks that are not in use (I don't have that kind of space).

OUTSTANDING :oh3: What I like most though is the interior of the cinema, many people might have left that sparsely decorated, but you manged to fit a movie screen in it! :wub:

My compliments! I think that this is one of the most beautiful modular building that I found in internet.

So, I'm working to develop a new my modular and i'm very interested to know how you have made the big stairs that go from ground floor to first level.

I tried to do the same, but it's different. Do you have some instructions that you would like to share with me?

Alberto

After my next MOCs are in the books, I actually want to start making instructions for some of my buildings, starting first with this and then my MMV inspired build. I really need to lay off the real bricks and work more in the virtual realm, for the sake of my wallet. :laugh: It will probably still be quite a while before I have anything worth sharing, so please be patient. :classic:

I would love to have the instructions to build the two buildings you made :classic: They're just perfect !

Compliments on your MOC's, and an even bigger compliment if you do decide to invest the time and energy to make instructions for these beauties.

Edited by ReflectioN

My compliments! I think that this is one of the most beautiful modular building that I found in internet.

So, I'm working to develop a new my modular and i'm very interested to know how you have made the big stairs that go from ground floor to first level.

I tried to do the same, but it's different. Do you have some instructions that you would like to share with me?

Thanks for the high praise!

I just took a few pictures that I hope will help.

5992186533_f9ae86593f.jpg

Step 1 shows the bricks needed in each stair - two are brown just because I had a lot on hand and they aren't visible in the final model. On the first stair, replace the inverted slope with a standard 1x2 brick. Step 2 shows how the panels fit into the slot created - this is purely a friction fit (don't turn your modular upside-down in the end :laugh: ). Steps 3 and 4 just show the stairs being connected to each other. Let me know if this still isn't clear. Real digitally generated instructions are still a long way off. :hmpf_bad:

This is amazing...truly amazing. The details...the overall look...the building techniques...colour scheme...everything is truly fantastic.

I LOVE the theatre letter build and Art Deco look...beautiful...and the interior is so dense with features and detailed finishing from the mosaic floors, to the popcorn kettle..beautiful.

This is stunning...truly stunning.

Many and many thanks... I'm drawing them in MLCAD and I try to fix them on the floor with some bad results.

Attached you can find the pictures of stairs connections. You can suggest what for you it's the best.

(I have seen the other your MOC... they are very wonderful!)

post-19346-131218700695.jpg

Alberto

Edited by Albnet

Many and many thanks... I'm drawing them in MLCAD and I try to fix them on the floor with some bad results.

Attached you can find the pictures of stairs connections. You can suggest what for you it's the best.

(I have seen the other your MOC... they are very wonderful!)

First off, thanks again for the compliments!

My stairs actually don't attach to the floor at all - your method is very clever, but depending on how many stairs you have it may or may not line up nicely with the studs on the floor. The construction is surprisingly sturdy made out of real bricks, but it might prove tricky in a digital model to line it up with anything.

For the landing I also used bricks with studs on one side like your top picture, but mine are turned 90 degrees from yours - I'm not sure if it really makes a difference in the end. The additional three stairs above the landing are attached to the wall above the bathroom door and aren't attached underneath to anything. Again, you may have come up with a better solution to attach them than I did.

If you have any more questions just let me know, but at this point I might need to take lessons from you! :laugh:

Edited by sonicstarlight

I am still so impressed by this build. The theatre room alone makes for a fantastic vignette. I want to recreate in my own way. Perhaps I'll design a live community theatre.

I'm glad someone bumped the thread so I can enthuse about his wonderful MOC without feeling guilty. :grin:

Wow! I really love the façade of this one, some real Art Deco-y goodness. :wub: I often see people build Art Deco designs in monochrome, which is fine, but real Art Deco buildings have plenty of colour, at least in decorative panels. The colours here are very good and blend together very well, very fine! :)

I'd really love to see this as a true theatre, i.e., with a full theatre building behind with an auditorium.

189863_fg0908.jpg

Not exactly Art Deco (more atmospheric Spanish), but something like that rendered in Lego would be deee-lovely. :wub: Balcony, organ console, orchestra pit, all the stuff. It would really be amazing!

Reading through the OP made me really happy. The diner reminds me exactly of the one in Chelsea in NYC and I love the details and playability of the movie theater. What a cool MOC good job well done.

I'd really love to see this as a true theatre, i.e., with a full theatre building behind with an auditorium.

I did briefly consider this, but no matter which way I turned the theater I couldn't get everything to fit in plan. I still had to go 8 studs wider than usual just to get a screen and projector room to work, but I was able to keep it only one baseplate deep.

I mentioned earlier that I once worked at a movie theater when I was younger - it was actually an Art Deco theater originally designed for stage performances before getting converted to a movie theater in the 1990s (I think that's when it happened). They kept a lot of the old elements, like the curtains and balcony in the largest theater, so I think I wanted my creation to have a bit of the same look.

Reading through the OP made me really happy. The diner reminds me exactly of the one in Chelsea in NYC and I love the details and playability of the movie theater. What a cool MOC good job well done.

I actually work in Chelsea and used to live just north in Hell's Kitchen, so it's very possible the diner you are thinking of is one of the ones I used for inspiration. :classic:

I don't usually venture down here to the Town subforum, but I was reading the topic here and I just had to comment on your build. It's simply jaw-dropping and amazing. As others have already pointed out, the art deco look work great on the movie theater, all of the SNOT work must've a pain to accomplish, but the outcome is definitely worth it :wub: . Your movie theater is way, way better than the one LEGO released once. The diner is nice as well. It's simple and straightforward compared to the theater, but it does the job. It really reminds me of the diners in GTA4 (and thus also of those in NYC, since GTA4's Liberty City is basicly a NYC rip-off).

Of course the diner is really quaint and a great build. But I am going to say I absolutely love that theater. I always liked the official Lego release, but after seeing this one, I am in awe. I definitely enjoy seeing all of those details. Forget about the exterior looking great, but then you add in all that interior detail. Brilliant work. Keep it up!

I really like your style. You have a great eye for detail and a unique look. Thanks for sharing them with us here. I've blogged this discussion and your flickr photostream. Please keep up the excellent work! :thumbup:

I really like your style. You have a great eye for detail and a unique look. Thanks for sharing them with us here. I've blogged this discussion and your flickr photostream. Please keep up the excellent work! :thumbup:

Thanks Hinckley - I really appreciate all you do both on Eurobricks and Classic-Town! :classic:

I'm certainly not one to turn down free publicity, but MetroiD blogged this a little while before (this thread was recently bumped up from the dead). I think my more recent townhouses have escaped the site if you want to swap - obviously no pressure. :laugh:

As this thread has been bumped up, I take the opportunity to commend you for this incredible building!

It's beautiful! The spotlights on the roof is a big :thumbup: !

I hate to bump my own topic, but if anyone wants to see this and is in the NYC area or is planning to go in the next 4 weeks, it is currently in one of the displays in the Rockefeller Center Lego Store. The diner was renamed the "ILUGNY Diner" in honor of my LUG - it will go back to Galaxy after coming out of the display.

6268080166_d56e6df0cf.jpg