XimenaPaulina

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 4 Discussion

Easily the best episode thus far, that one was. Big battles are a good start for an arc that needs to redeem the whole season. Krell might be a bit on the stupid side, (he reminds me somewhat of Lord Keveak in Heroica Quest 4) but he's a refreshing change from the Jedi we normally see. In the latter half of the episode, somehow it seemed to me that there were always about twenty clones and three AT-RTs shown, no matter how many were destroyed, and the giant lights were a bit on the ridiculous side (don't LAAT/is have integrated lights?), but on the whole, a good episode.

Compared to the jelly-thingys from the first arc, the white lights are a great improvement, I think.

As for the numbers of clones (and others), one has to ignore this fact. I found it pretty odd that Savage Oppress was sent to an important outpost that was under attack by 5 battle droids (or so) and defended by 3 Clones (or so) and 2 Jedi. In the current episode, there are generally more clones, so it doesn't really strike my mind that there are always "some" clones. (It's just a bit nagging.)

This was definitely the best episode of this season, however, it started off strong but ended weak imo.

This new General is a dick, what kind of stupid plan is it to make a small group of clones march right down the road into the city, how can they even take the city with such small numbers??

Besides being a dick, the general was also quite stupid, as referenced above. Why was he holding back with most of the 501st while he sent Rex forward anyway? :wacko:

Nonetheless, I'm still really frustrated with this season so far. Maybe I just can't watch cartoons anymore. :sadnew:

This is the first time I've given my opinion on The Clone wars and I must say the latest episode Darkness on Umbara impressed me. It was far better than that lame Mon Calamari arc, but it also showed one of my biggest problems with the whole series: Everyone stands up in formation and shoots like it was the battle of Waterloo. When the squad is ambushed on the road they stay stock still and discuss their plans when they should be diving for cover! Maybe I just don't have an adequate knowledge of modern warfare, perhaps a member with more experience could enlighten me.

This episode also showcased how stupid (IMO) the AT-RT is. There is no protection whatsoever for the driver, he just sits high and exposed in the worst possible way. The republic must have had heavy walker losses before the advent of the AT-ST...

Compared to the jelly-thingys from the first arc, the white lights are a great improvement, I think.

Well, since you put it that way... :laugh:

This episode also showcased how stupid (IMO) the AT-RT is. There is no protection whatsoever for the driver, he just sits high and exposed in the worst possible way. The republic must have had heavy walker losses before the advent of the AT-ST...

They do look pretty good, though. The general idea of the All Terrain Recon Transport is the 'Recon' part. It's not intended for infantry support duty. That's what ISPs and the like are for. If the AT-RTs were running at top speed and not the pace of the rest of the 501st, they wouldn't have been as vulnerable. But in this situation, they probably were the best option for the Republic to insert with its troops.

Well, since you put it that way... :laugh:

They do look pretty good, though. The general idea of the All Terrain Recon Transport is the 'Recon' part. It's not intended for infantry support duty. That's what ISPs and the like are for. If the AT-RTs were running at top speed and not the pace of the rest of the 501st, they wouldn't have been as vulnerable. But in this situation, they probably were the best option for the Republic to insert with its troops.

Speaking of which, there was a pretty conspicuous lack of other tanks.

Personally I thought the giant lights were silly. In that fog the lights are worthless, and it seems that advanced as the Republic is, they don't seem to have any sensors, like infrared?

Double blaster pistols look sillier and sillier.

The series has been getting progressively more serious and grim. The clone's shouting was a bit jarring, making it seem like they were running into a paintball match and not a battle. As soon as that sarlacc-esque thing showed up, the clones went right back to serious and grim. From then on, the episode got progressively better. The ambush was amazing.

Krell made a plausible officer, but not a plausible Jedi.

This is the first time I've given my opinion on The Clone wars and I must say the latest episode Darkness on Umbara impressed me. It was far better than that lame Mon Calamari arc, but it also showed one of my biggest problems with the whole series: Everyone stands up in formation and shoots like it was the battle of Waterloo. When the squad is ambushed on the road they stay stock still and discuss their plans when they should be diving for cover! Maybe I just don't have an adequate knowledge of modern warfare, perhaps a member with more experience could enlighten me.

These are disposable clones we're talking about - there simply is no need to economize with them. The indifference of the galaxy toward the war effort and the irrelevance of the war to the prosperity of the Republic is evident in Coruscant's pristine appearance in Sith, especially considering the fact that a major battle had taken place there.

As Brickdoctor said, the AT-RT is for recon duty... recall that they were deployed on Kashyyyk in Sith to look for survivors rather than as front-line vehicles. And even when they are on front-line duty, they're usually running at full speed and well covered (as shown in Clone Wars Chapter 22) .

Speaking of which, there was a pretty conspicuous lack of other tanks.

I'm assuming there that the Umbaran's didn't have tanks, the Seps weren't present, and the Republic didn't have sufficient time, resources, or information to insert tanks. Not too bad.

As Brickdoctor said, the AT-RT is for recon duty... recall that they were deployed on Kashyyyk in Sith to look for survivors rather than as front-line vehicles. And even when they are on front-line duty, they're usually running at full speed and well covered (as shown in Clone Wars Chapter 22) .

Okay, I guess that makes sense.

These are disposable clones we're talking about - there simply is no need to economize with them. The indifference of the galaxy toward the war effort and the irrelevance of the war to the prosperity of the Republic is evident in Coruscant's pristine appearance in Sith, especially considering the fact that a major battle had taken place there.

This one reason why I like that the creators of the show added Pong Krell, a character who actually views the clones as disposable grunts. Sure that makes him kind of a jerk, but it adds a bit of realism. Not all Jedi were necessarily nice people.

This one reason why I like that the creators of the show added Pong Krell, a character who actually views the clones as disposable grunts. Sure that makes him kind of a jerk, but it adds a bit of realism. Not all Jedi were necessarily nice people.

Agreed. And as I've mentioned before, in-universe, no one really has a reason to care about the clones. They don't have families or homes, and being grown in tanks and raised in anonymous communities they aren't characters one could easily empathize with.

Edited by fallenangel309

Agreed. And as I've mentioned before, in-universe, no one really has a reason to about the clones. They don't have families or homes, and being grown in tanks and raised in anonymous communities they aren't characters one could easily empathize with.

Thing is, they should be anonymous and disposable, the same way Krell treats them. That's what the Kaminoans intended.

In the OT, the pristine, long, white rows of unanimous, identical Stormtroopers really showed the extent of Imperial power. The clones don't have that. Though I suppose when you're expected to control an entire galaxy with an initial amount of only 200,000 men, you don't have the luxury of disposable grunts.

I have realised there is a distinct lack of stealth on anything Clones do. How much more obvious can you get? Shining blue lightsabers and laser guns. :laugh:

However, I really enjoyed this episode. First full episode I have watched since the end of series 2. I really like Krell, and I though it was nice to see the attitude of different Jedi to their clones. I actually am starting to like Rex a lot more. Maybe even parallels my like of Cody.

Edited by The Crazy One

I've watched Umbara recently, and I liked it a lot. Krell makes a good "antagonist", even though he's on the side of the Republic. He ignores the value of a good strategy, doesn't care about his men and fatally underestimates the rebel population, which creates a mood of desperation. The clones have no real choice but following his orders, and I wonder where that's gonna end up. This is the first 4-part arc of the series, isn't it? That was exactly what I was expecting from the series, it just got a lot better. I almost think they were starting off with the silly episodes just to get them off the stove. Too bad Maul will follow soon. :hmpf_bad:

Anyway, did someone else spot some paralleles to the war in Vietnam? Of course it might very well be coincidence, but this whole stuff with large Y-Wing bombardements, the rebel militia supported by the CSI, booby traps and ambushes, well, it just seems similar. :look: And together with Krell as incompetent CO, it kinda reminds me of the Platoon movie. :sceptic:

Personally I thought the giant lights were silly. In that fog the lights are worthless, and it seems that advanced as the Republic is, they don't seem to have any sensors, like infrared?

I agree, the general look of the LAAT/i with those floodlights was quite silly. And gunships *should* be equipped with sensors...

EDIT: Those LAAT/is in the beginning didn't fire a single shot. D:

Edited by fallenangel309

I share the same sentiments. I thought they just took it as another chance to introduce a lame new modification on the LAAT/i, but I still prefer the original more badass AOTC version with the bubble turrets on the side.

And what ever happened to stealth covert surprise attack? Didn't those giant lights simply gave away the clones' position and hence they would be an easy target for the rebel Umbarans? Infrared is indeed the way to go with dark operations, what puzzles me is there have been episodes in the past (Geonosis arc in Season 2) where the clones have some infrared vision capability on their helmets. If they had those before in small helmets, then why not install such technology on the gunships?

Just a minor nitpick, but it doesn't take away much to the entertainment value of the episode.

In the OT, the pristine, long, white rows of unanimous, identical Stormtroopers really showed the extent of Imperial power.

They should have kept that styling in the CW Era instead of painting the clones all colours under the sun :hmpf_bad:.

I agree, the general look of the LAAT/i with those floodlights was quite silly. And gunships *should* be equipped with sensors...

They are. I think they were saying that there was something interfering with the sensors. (which, on a new CW planet like this, is entirely possible)

I share the same sentiments. I thought they just took it as another chance to introduce a lame new modification on the LAAT/i, but I still prefer the original more badass AOTC version with the bubble turrets on the side.

Yeah. The bubble turrets were one of my favorite features of the vehicle when I first saw Clones.

They should have kept that styling in the CW Era instead of painting the clones all colours under the sun :hmpf_bad:.

Agreed. Though on the bright side, it distances CW further from the OT.

Agreed. Though on the bright side, it distances CW further from the OT.

I'm pretty sure that George is pretty aware of this inconsistency, an inconsistency that he might get rid of in one of the next editions. I think that Rex and Cody should play a more important role in the OT, which might be quite a challenge for him.

Edited by Brickadeer

I'm pretty sure that George is pretty aware of this inconsistency, an inconsistency that he might get rid of in one of the next editions. I think that Rex and Cody should play a more important role in the OT, which might be quite a challenge for him.

How could Rex or Cody have ANY role in the OT? Rex wasn't even in the PT, and I have a good feeling that Rex will die by the end of the series.

Yeah. The bubble turrets were one of my favorite features of the vehicle when I first saw Clones.

Didn't they appear again in the Geonosis episodes from last season? (Or was it Season 2?) I distinctly remember them coming back, and thinking that it was odd, but oh well. What I've always wondered is why the show designers took off the bubble turrets in the first place.

Didn't they appear again in the Geonosis episodes from last season? (Or was it Season 2?) I distinctly remember them coming back, and thinking that it was odd, but oh well. What I've always wondered is why the show designers took off the bubble turrets in the first place.

I believe it had something to do with animation issues. The turrets wouldn't move correctly, or something.

He did it as a reason to re-release cheap repaints of the clone trooper action figures for easy money contrast between the more relaxed views of the jedi compared with the empire.

Just watched the full episode of Darkness on Umbara on CartoonNetwork.com. I must say, that made up for the rest of the season by a long ways. :sweet: The action was unparallelled, and if there are more episodes like that, there may be hope for this series yet. :cry_happy: The only part I didn't like is the 'Council complied to the Supreme Chancellor's request' part. That seemed pretty fishy to me. The best part of the episode, in my opinion, is Hardcase. He is so much more awesome in this than in 'The Deserter'. Dogma and Tup were nice additions to the 501st too. Here's hoping that there are more clone-based episodes, since they may be the only way to get this series out of the gutter. :sweet:

Just watched the full episode of Darkness on Umbara on CartoonNetwork.com. I must say, that made up for the rest of the season by a long ways. :sweet: The action was unparallelled, and if there are more episodes like that, there may be hope for this series yet. :cry_happy: The only part I didn't like is the 'Council complied to the Supreme Chancellor's request' part. That seemed pretty fishy to me. The best part of the episode, in my opinion, is Hardcase. He is so much more awesome in this than in 'The Deserter'. Dogma and Tup were nice additions to the 501st too. Here's hoping that there are more clone-based episodes, since they may be the only way to get this series out of the gutter. :sweet:

I have a feeling that this whole Umbarra arc is going to be about clones, with Krell screwing up stuff every once in a while. I really think this arc will be the best of series.