mostlytechnic

MOC: Double-sized 7597 TS3 Western Train Chase cars

I managed to get several (ok, 8) of the Toy Story Western Train Chase set on clearance. I first built one set stock. Next I opened up two more and combined parts to make some new cars. This was my first train MOCs (and really, my first non-technic builds since I was a kid in the 80s). Let me know what you think... I'll put my notes on each below the pics.

5531966506_384ffaeda5_z_d.jpg

First I built the caboose. The MOC is made from two caboose part bags with nothing else added. That led to a few compromises (for example, I ran out of the grill bricks, so there's a smooth 1x6 brick there by the number plate on each side) but overall it mostly works.

5531967076_1bffaae7db_z_d.jpg

I made larger platforms on each end, so there's room for outward-opening doors. Unfortunately, it still just has the single non-pivoting axle at each end. This means it barely makes it though the turns in the track, and derails on points (unless of course they're set to straight). It'll take some serious changes to the floor structure to switch to proper bogies. I also couldn't decide on the vertical or horizontal grills, so it currently has one side each way.

5531967510_8a7b725c97_z_d.jpg

Here's the horizontal lined side. I also redid this half of the roof to look "corrugated" - since I didn't change the other side, I couldn't resize or move the window section to make it all ridged. Personally, I think I like the horizontal lines on the side and the corrugated roof. Opinions?

5531967874_a76bb22223_z_d.jpg

Next, I made a "Great Great West" passenger car. I limited my parts like I did on the caboose, so when I got to the roof, I had to make more extensive changes due to limited parts. I like it though, except that the center is a bit too tall. I prefer the lower look of the original.

5531385141_0727943263_z_d.jpg

I did steal a couple parts from elsewhere, now that I think harder. I grabbed some black 1x2 bricks to put between the axles and buffers to pull the wheels closer together to help in the corners on the track. It wasn't enough to make a big difference though. I'd like to add some rails on the end platforms, but all I've got free at the moment are the light ones from the caboose, and they don't look right on the dark car.

These are great.

It is exciting for me to know that there are people who look at something and see "what COULD be" instead of just seeing what's there.

I bought that set (just one, not EIGHT!) for my daughter and it never even dawned on me to make them bigger.

Thanks - I do have a couple of the train baseplates on order, so I'd like to change these to have proper double-axle, rotating bogies. Then they can be part of my eclectic train layout I plan to set up. Right now the track is a temporary layout, but the wife says once we get some space cleared in the basement we can set up a permanent layout :) I'm handling the track and trains, she'll focus on scenery.

I'm not sure about the passenger car, but the caboose is FANTASTIC.....very genuine looking, excellent work on it 'mostlytechnic' ! :thumbup:

Brick On ! :grin:

Nice super sized cars. :laugh:

Maybe using turntable on the axles will help with navigating.

I use them on my single axle cars longer than 16 studs.

Great way to use clearanced legos! :grin:

To lessen the binding on curves, is it possible to move the wheels closer to the center? Wheels are very rarely on the very end of two axle carriages.

I got some train bases and bogie plates, so I updated these cars. Now with proper rotating bogies at each end, they handle track just fine.

5581865317_467fcee442_z_d.jpg

This was a very simple swap.

5582451072_32ee00f114_z_d.jpg

The caboose was harder - the pin from the bogie plate came up right into the end doors, so I had to redesign the bogies to work. They actually pivot from the hole closest to the center of the car. Also, while I was at it, I added a black line under the windows, switched to the corrugated look roof, and redid the ends since the ladders can't hang down any more.

I really like the longer cars. Your earlier version of the caboose especially.

In regards to articulated bogies, did you try using 2x2 turntables instead of the pinned bogie plates? When building a challenging rolling stock design, where color matters, it is easier for me to use regular baseplates and a turntable than to try to use the trainbase and limited color pallet lego provides.

Just a thought...