Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Red Scare Mystery - Chapter Eleven

Since Officer Harrison is already headed toward Captain Harding's quarters, I'd like to look into Frankie Keen's quarters. Description, please.

Mayor Bradford enters the crew quarters. Frankie's room is rather small, but it has a closet, a dresser, a bed, as well as a lamp, and books written in Japanese.

Are all the 5 crates left on the manifest accounted for in this room?

So, who were you delivering these crates to in Alabatha? A crateful of diamonds?!

I'll go and give a hand to Patrick in the engine room.

Yes. The other two were delivered when the Lakota docked in New York City harbor. According to the manifest, none of these crates were to be delivered to Alabatha. Farmer Alan then goes to the engine room, but his knowledge of farm equipment engines aren't sufficient either.

I'll help search Captain Harding's cabin.

Captain Harding's cabin is not too large. There's a bed, a galley, a bathroom, as well as a dresser and an ancient Japanese Shield displayed for decoration.

I'll go look at the damage in the engine room using my experience as a dock worker.

From the various engines that James has looked at over the years, it would appear that the engine is inoperable, however a better test would be to try and start the boat.

I'd like to go to the engine room to help anyone that could get injured.

Aiding skills come handy!

Maxwell goes into the engine room.

I'd like to look under the beds and inside the dresser of both the captain and Frankie for anything that doesn't belong there, then return my jewel. :grin:

And I'd look behind the Japanese Shield, and examine it for any marks or something wrtitten on it.

Alright, seems like quite a bit to do here.

First, I'll look in the closet. I'll need a description of the items before doing anything else.

I'd like to feel the mattress to see if there is anything hidden inside. I'd also like to lift the mattress and check that nothing is hidden underneath.

I'll turn on the lamp to make sure it is in working order. I'll give it a good look-over, to see if it looks like it has been tampered with in any way.

I'll flip through the books to see if they open to any specific page. I'll also look for any writing in the margins, or perhaps underlined passages characters, not that I'd know what they say.

Stevie seems to be exuberently checking the dresser. I'll keep my eye on him to make sure he doesn't pocket any possible evidence while I'm distracted.

Stevie seems to be exuberently checking the dresser. I'll keep my eye on him to make sure he doesn't pocket any possible evidence while I'm distracted.[/i]

Stevie didn't even enter the room so far. Is it possible you mistake me for Stevie? :angry:

Stevie didn't even enter the room so far. Is it possible you mistake me for Stevie? :angry:

That's what I get for posting without looking at the roster first. Not Stevie, I meant Krista. :blush:

I'd like to leave the engine room, and go to Captain Harding's quarters.

There, I'd like to enter the bathroom and check all the drains to see if they are clogged.

Farmer Alan then goes to the engine room, but his knowledge of farm equipment engines aren't sufficient either.

I'd like to shout to anyone up on the bridge to try and start the engine -- I assume that's where the engine is started from? I'm just a landlubber! :blush:

I would also like to look around the engine room for traces of anything that may explain the engine fire. I'm trying to determine if the engine burned by itself (ran out of oil, coolant or something) or if it was set on fire by someone.

I'd like to look under the beds and inside the dresser of both the captain and Frankie for anything that doesn't belong there, then return my jewel. :grin:

And I'd look behind the Japanese Shield, and examine it for any marks or something wrtitten on it.

Krista, who is in the Captain's quarters and not Frankie's quarters, looks under the bed and sees a few storage bins. She then looks in the dresser, but there's only clothes.

Alright, seems like quite a bit to do here.

First, I'll look in the closet. I'll need a description of the items before doing anything else.

I'd like to feel the mattress to see if there is anything hidden inside. I'd also like to lift the mattress and check that nothing is hidden underneath.

I'll turn on the lamp to make sure it is in working order. I'll give it a good look-over, to see if it looks like it has been tampered with in any way.

I'll flip through the books to see if they open to any specific page. I'll also look for any writing in the margins, or perhaps underlined passages characters, not that I'd know what they say.

Stevie seems to be exuberently checking the dresser. I'll keep my eye on him to make sure he doesn't pocket any possible evidence while I'm distracted.

Frankie's closet is sparse in contents. There's a few shoes, some shirts, a few more pairs of jeans, and a small book on a position of honor in the closet. Feeling the mattress, there's nothing inside of it. Lifting the mattress, there's a few coins and gum wrappers, but that's about it. The lamp is in working order, and it has not been tampered with in any way. The books are all written in Japanese, and there's some Japanese writing in the margins. There's no underlined passages or words, however.

I'd like to leave the engine room, and go to Captain Harding's quarters.

There, I'd like to enter the bathroom and check all the drains to see if they are clogged.

All the drains are in working order.

I'd like to shout to anyone up on the bridge to try and start the engine -- I assume that's where the engine is started from? I'm just a landlubber! :blush:

I would also like to look around the engine room for traces of anything that may explain the engine fire. I'm trying to determine if the engine burned by itself (ran out of oil, coolant or something) or if it was set on fire by someone.

"Try starting the engine!" the farmer shouts.

Examining the engine, it would appear that someone has set fire to the engine purposely.

I would like to start searching the drawers of the galley.

There's some knives and forks in one drawer, a few plates in another, as well as some napkins and other spices in a small closet next to the galley. Above the galley, there's a few more drawers with a few dishes, pots, and pans. There's also a cutting board.

I will search the engine room for anything that may have been used to start the fire or for anything that would not normally belong in an engine room..

I'm going to ask, without much hope, if anyone aside from Frankie can read Japanese. Barring that, I'll ask Frankie what is written in the margins and take him at his word. I'll alos politely ask him what the titles of the books are, what sort they are (spy novels, romance, cookbooks, etc.).

I would very much like to look through the book in the closet. And I'll take note of anything that happens to lie under the book.

I'd like to shout to anyone up on the bridge to try and start the engine -- I assume that's where the engine is started from? I'm just a landlubber! default_blush.gif

I don't think it's a good idea to start up the engines when there is clearly some damage to them. The last thing we need is another explosion that could get someone killed or worse... the ship sunkdefault_cry4.gif.

I would like to go to the engine room, look over the damage and make sure there are no leaks.

After eleven chapters, Stevie finally finds a false wall in the cargo-bay.

Congratulations Stevie. I honestly thought nothing would ever come of that. :tongue:

I would like to see if I can read Japanese.

I'm going to ask, without much hope, if anyone aside from Frankie can read Japanese. Barring that, I'll ask Frankie what is written in the margins and take him at his word. I'll alos politely ask him what the titles of the books are, what sort they are (spy novels, romance, cookbooks, etc.).

I would very much like to look through the book in the closet. And I'll take note of anything that happens to lie under the book.

I know a little Japanese. If you show me the titles, I'll try to translate for you.

I will search the engine room for anything that may have been used to start the fire or for anything that would not normally belong in an engine room..

There's an empty canister of kerosene near the corner, as well as a few dropped matches.

"They're various novels that I've picked up during our stopovers in Japan." Frankie says.

There's nothing under the book, and it appears to be Frankie's journal, all written in Japanese of course.

I don't think it's a good idea to start up the engines when there is clearly some damage to them. The last thing we need is another explosion that could get someone killed or worse... the ship sunkdefault_cry4.gif.

I would like to go to the engine room, look over the damage and make sure there are no leaks.

There aren't any leaks. Frankie can clearly see the extent of the damage, and he already knows how the engine will work.

Congratulations Stevie. I honestly thought nothing would ever come of that. :tongue:

I would like to see if I can read Japanese.

Even though you are quite nerdy, you cannot.

I know a little Japanese. If you show me the titles, I'll try to translate for you.

Dolores picks out a few books:

-大阪の蝶

-日本の歴史

-太平洋の戦い

-アメリカ合衆国の歴史

-大阪の蝶

-日本の歴史

-太平洋の戦い

-アメリカ合衆国の歴史

-Osaka Butterfly?

-Japanese history

-the pacific war

-American history

Is it just a hobby? Or is someone having a hard time forgetting the war? :look:

I would like to answer both questions.

Is it just a hobby? Or is someone having a hard time forgetting the war? default_look.gif

I don't think that having one book on the Pacific war makes me a kamikaze.

I would like to translate the titles of the books.

I don't think that having one book on the Pacific war makes me a kamikaze.

probably not, since successful kamikazers are all dead :laugh:

It could well be just a passing interest in the war, that is over, but still quite heavy in our minds.

what exactly is your interest in the great war?

You know that the Great War was WW1 pre-WW2 but I assume you mean WW2.

I would like to answer yet another question.

You know that the Great War was WW1 pre-WW2 but I assume you mean WW2.

Are you really trying to tell us WWI was greater than WWII :sceptic:

Are you really trying to tell us WWI was greater than WWII default_sceptic.gif

No that's not what I mean at all. Untill WW2, WW1 was called the Great War but after WW2, it was simply called WW1. Mabey you should borrow some of my booksdefault_tong.gif.

Good advice Frankie. I'll leave you to have a look, you know this engine better than anyone else.

Are there any compartments on the Lakota that haven't been visited yet?

I would like to answer both questions.

They are a few books I've picked up on my travels. The margins are just notes I've written, I love learning about history, and during the long voyages, I usually read while the others play cards and whatnot.

probably not, since successful kamikazers are all dead :laugh:

It could well be just a passing interest in the war, that is over, but still quite heavy in our minds.

"Not so much World War Two, but history in general."

I'd like to find out the content of the boxes under Cpt. Hardings bed.

There's some clothes, a piece of wood, and some other toiletries.

Good advice Frankie. I'll leave you to have a look, you know this engine better than anyone else.

Are there any compartments on the Lakota that haven't been visited yet?

Just the balcony outside the bridge.

As the sun begins to set over Alabatha, there's a rumbling noise from a distance.

Sign in to follow this