Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Don't get me wrong Z, I am looking forward to these sets, I think I just had very high expectations for this line, and when I first looked at that mill set I was kind of dissappointed. But like you said, there are some good parts on show and I'm hoping the bigger sets will have a good selection. It can't be too long till some pics of the larger sets in this line show up. I have seen the list which mentions the QAR, but I see people talking about a Black pearl as well, but I didn't know thy had been confirmed. We will all have to wait till we get the final high res official pics of the sets, then we can see what we are really getting.

I totally understand! When I first saw the mill set I was also disappointed, but after taking a closer look at the other two, I saw some parts potential.

I think we need to understand we are going to get several "play" sets that won't necessarily look particularly interesting, but will focus largely on a few play features with a few key figures. Like POP however, I am optimistic there will be some great parts in those sets as well. I respect your opinion, but I was just trying to get you to look past the "look" of the sets and back onto what I know you really care about as a great MOCer, and that is the parts!

As for both the QAR and the Black Pearl... the second page of the catalog lists the QAR as released in May and the BP released in November!

Edited by ZCerberus

My guess is it is the blue Admirals Torso from the 2009 Pirates Line

These are just prelims though, so we should hopefully see a new torso still. :pir-classic:

I'm wondering whether PotC sets fit with classic pirates more, or with medieval Kingdoms more. The mill tower uses the same stickers walls from King's castle and Cannibal escape uses brown like Prison Tower Rescue.

I'm wondering whether PotC sets fit with classic pirates more, or with medieval Kingdoms more. The mill tower uses the same stickers walls from King's castle and Cannibal escape uses brown like Prison Tower Rescue.

It depends on your definition of "fits"; if you mean the design and color scheme of the sets then I think you'll see a bit more realistic colors than the traditional pastel pirate sets. If anything the colors would be closer to those of the Prince of Persia sets. The stickers used may very well be from kingdoms but don't forget these are prelims so they would have used any stickers they saw fit to build an initial model.

Edited by Sirens-Of-Titan

Looking at the pic of the skeletal Barbossa, it appears that he will be given the new skeleton body from the NinjaGo line. The bag like strap he is wearing is a nod to the fact that in the movie Barbossa wears his sword on a baldric. Jack too, for that matter.

On the point of what type of swords the characters use in the movies, in the first movie Will delivers an officer's sword with a rapier style blade. It makes its way back to Will at the end of the third movie. Most of the European pirates carry cutlasses with a few exceptions in Barbossa's cursed crew. Most of the Brittish Royal Navy and the East India Company (the symbol the movies use is the Dutch version) carry sabers. In the third movie, Elizabeth gets a Chinese straight sword (I believe it is called a xian). I have to give the third move another view to be certain of the Chinese pirates weapon of choice, but I believe it is the dao.

The Mill set proves that we will at least get some of the crew of the Dutchman. The fleshie look of the pieces though leave me doubting their desirability. I do like that we'll be seeing a return of the old Islanders hair piece in the Cannibal Escape.

Edited by gedren_y

Granted that is the technical name for it, but the ones they use in the movie are a much slimmer variant than the classic Lego pirates sword. I assumed that because they are making a whole new theme based on a Disney license like in the case of Prince of Persia, they would include new molds for some of the weapons, accessories and clothing items. Hence, having a slimmer sword, be it cutlass or rapier is entirely possible, and you'd have to agree with me that it is within the realm of possibilies as the prelims are, well, just that. To me those classic cutlasses look to bulky for the licenced sets, but only time will tell.

Cheers

Maybe, but I really think they'll go for the normal cutlasses. Cause if you look at the weapons of Jack and some others, Those are pretty fat.

And

I don't think lego will use the rapier mold as it will probably stay within the minifigure theme

Cheers and happy holidays!

Someone with a bit more knowledge of the movies might guess what the "Captains Cabin" set might represent and so what minifigs it might has? I remember Johnny Depp and some wig-featuring officer in a cabin - and I remember this tentacle guy with his organ.. Might there be something else?

Whatever it is, I am afraid of only getting 3 minifigs, seems the trend now. Indy had 4, PoP had 3 and HP has 3. PoP marked the change with the 4-fig prelim pic then. They are going so cheap. Seriously, no one can tell me that if you put another not exclusive minifig in that set, TLC is facing bankruptcy.. But that is another thing. Whatever, I am interested in what minifigs the smallest set might have, since the optional magent set is no way of getting some cheap figs anymore..

I just thought rapiers were dead by the golden age, officers use sabres they are not the same as a rapier, different fighting techniques, but the history gap from musketeers to pirates is huge.

but the history gap from musketeers to pirates is huge.

Eh, just about 60 years? Maybe less if you consider Cavaliers to be muskeeters, and it really depends on which Golden Age of piracy, but I'll assume we're talking about the Final wave of Piracy 1700-1721. Still, the rapier was dead, but the short sword, which was a descendant of the rapier, was used very often in the age of pirates.

But yeah, these sets look slightly disappointing, but they are preliminary photos, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Wow.

Rather underwhelming.

They really seem to have cheaped-out on the 'bone cage' and 'Isla De la Muerta' is just sad.

I don't see what you mean "they cheaped out on the bone cage". I think it looks pretty good, and I don't see how they could have made it better. As for the Isla De la Muerta, I think it looks good too. It's a small set, but you get treasure, a female fig and a skeleton. What more could you ask for? :wink:

I don't see what you mean "they cheaped out on the bone cage". I think it looks pretty good, and I don't see how they could have made it better.

Personally, I think it looks bad too. Like I already said, it looks too cube-like and not accurate at all. In my opinion, they should have made it like the one from 7093 Skeleton Tower. That would have looked much more accurate in terms of overall shape.

Someone with a bit more knowledge of the movies might guess what the "Captains Cabin" set might represent and so what minifigs it might has? I remember Johnny Depp and some wig-featuring officer in a cabin - and I remember this tentacle guy with his organ.. Might there be something else?

Whatever it is, I am afraid of only getting 3 minifigs, seems the trend now. Indy had 4, PoP had 3 and HP has 3. PoP marked the change with the 4-fig prelim pic then. They are going so cheap. Seriously, no one can tell me that if you put another not exclusive minifig in that set, TLC is facing bankruptcy.. But that is another thing. Whatever, I am interested in what minifigs the smallest set might have, since the optional magent set is no way of getting some cheap figs anymore..

Check the set descriptions. It does indeed sound like it will only be Jack and two other pirates. :pir-sceptic:

And magnet sets were never a "cheap" way of getting figs, unless you are referring to the quality of the figs. :pir-wink:

Seriously, mods, it would be really nice if you could put those set descriptions into the first post.

from looking closer at the "Isla De Muerta" set I've noticed that Barbossa stands on a platform that when revolved he turns into a skeleton, similar to set #7251 Darth Vader Transformation

And if im not mistaken, Barbossa's hat looks like Cad Banes

and it looks like the prelim of Elizabeth is wearing a PoP Tamina torso and a kingdoms princess dress.

I hope in the final she is wearing her proper dress and I think they could have done a bit better with her hair :pir-hmpf_bad:

from looking closer at the "Isla De Muerta" set I've noticed that Barbossa stands on a platform that when revolved he turns into a skeleton, similar to set #7251 Darth Vader Transformation

And if im not mistaken, Barbossa's hat looks like Cad Banes

and it looks like the prelim of Elizabeth is wearing a PoP Tamina torso and a kingdoms princess dress.

I hope in the final she is wearing her proper dress and I think they could have done a bit better with her hair :pir-hmpf_bad:

There are stand-ins in the mill/water wheel set as well, so I think there will be some changes. However, the figure in the break-out on the box looks a lot like the figure in the set package... My opinion... that is NOT the final Elizabeth figure.

the short sword, which was a descendant of the rapier, was used very often in the age of pirates.

By the spanish if I'm not mistaken, not by the british.

With regard to the 'which type of sword(s) will we see?' debate: keep in mind folks, we're talking about POTC and LEGO...neither of which has really been known to worry too much about being 'historically accurate'.

And...I really hope lego bring back the original pirate stern piece in dark brown!!!! The new bow/stern piece just isn't as good.

I totally agree whit you Derfel! At me the new stern pieces are just ugly, and if LEGO would give the old tern pieces back, i hope they would also give us it in different colours like: White/Brown/Dark brown. Im happy to see some pics but im a bit disappointed about these sets, but im also intresting to see how they pull out the QAR and TBP.

Captain Becker

I don't know about you guys, but I have a feeling that these sets will be overpriced due to the liscense and contracts TLG has to sign with Disney. But I still have my hopes up becuase it looks as if it will be an awesome line. I am desprately wanting ship parts.

I don't know about you guys, but I have a feeling that these sets will be overpriced due to the liscense and contracts TLG has to sign with Disney. But I still have my hopes up becuase it looks as if it will be an awesome line. I am desprately wanting ship parts.

Yeah, these sets look like they're going to be REALLY expensive :pir-sceptic:. With all the awesome sets coming out in 2011 in other themes (Kingdoms, Harry Potter, NinjaGo, Star Wars) I don't know if I'll be able to buy everything I want. If these sets are priced anything like the newest SW sets then I'm going to have to skip out on a lot of them. :pir-sad2:

For those who are concerned about price mark-up I would suggest you look at Toy Story for your price comparison rather than Star Wars. This is a Disney license not LucasFilm.

I plan on buying every single POTC set they come out with. I hope they give us a new cannon design too along with the wigs.

I plan on buying every single POTC set they come out with. I hope they give us a new cannon design too along with the wigs.

I completely agree with you! I work at Lego so I get a 30% discount. I will be buying everything and then multiples.

I completely agree with you! I work at Lego so I get a 30% discount. I will be buying everything and then multiples.

When you say work at Lego, do you mean you actually work for Lego, or just at a store?