Sign in to follow this  
Sir E Fullner

WIP-Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde

It's Finished. Click here!

Hello, all Pirates and gentlemen!

In this post, I will be constructing a Brandenburg Military Frigate- Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde

friedrwilh__seitenansicht_v_bb_gr.jpeg

I will be using the above model for reference, because the real FWzP was destroyed by the French in the 1690's.

:pir_bawling: Blast those dirty French!

The build will start after I get home from class. Feel free to comment in the meantime.

Always entertaining, always inspiring, always:

Edited by efullner

The image you have posted for this model needs to be down-sized to 800x600. This photo will take a very long time to upload for people with slower internet. Assistance with down-sizing photos can be found in our indes of Tutorials.

Do you have an idea what the dimensions in studs/bricks for this vessel will be?

Hey efullner, really nice idea to build this one in Lego. I am looking forward to the next step of the WIP.

I´m from germany and on my last vacation I visited the german marine museum in Wilhelmshaven an there was a nice model of this ship too.

It was shown in a wall with no chance to take a photo from every angle but I tried my best to make a shot from all three important angles.

If you need more shots from this ship I could send the pictures.

Well, I just got started. But, as I always do in a build, I start with the minifigs, and here they are:

officers1.png

:pir-wub: From l to r they are: Admiral Efullner, Commodore Holzenfauler, and Lieutenant Speckler.

bow1a.png

Here is a view of the hull. I copied a bit of the design from plokoon 4 life!.

bow1b.png

Front view.

bow1c.png

Rear view.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Edited by efullner

Well, I am rather flattered that someone used my idea :pir-classic: A very ambitious project, and im rather looking forward to the finished project.

Edited by plokoon 4 life!

A great ambitious project indeed! Really interesting. :thumbup:

As stated before by Phred, you have to reduce the size of your pictures to a maximum of 800x600 pixels.

This was asked several days ago. I have to remove the pictures if you refuse to resize them. :pirate_sad2:

By public demand, I just resized the images. This way the page takes a shorter time to load. :pir_laugh2:

You get the point! :pir-classic:

I'd recommend to download Irfanview. It's a free program, excellent at resizing.

Now about your ship:

The hull technique you are using looks good to me. I would just go and try if there is a way to make the curve less blocky. It now jumps with one brick. Try it with plates underneath the slopes instead so the curve bends less blocky. I will draw an image to explain soon.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I've been really busy last week with Speech. Because of all the snow we got last night, we weren't able to go to church this morning. That gave me the opportunity to continue on my build.

I just added decoration to the outside, as in this photo.

bow2a.png

Here is a view of the cargo, with crates, boxes, chests, barrels, arguments, and a sleepy sailor. :pir_laugh2:

cargohold1.png

The door to the cargo hold.

gundeck2.png

All for now, keep tuned in.

I made another update today. Today I just added guns and a few more soldiers.

bow3a.png

Here are the soldiers at their cannons.

gundeck3.png

A very "painted" Commander.

gundeck4.png

Stay tuned!

Sorry for the wait. My school's speech team made me miss a few weeks of work. But, anyways, here is another update.

Joining me now is my fiancée, Miss Anna.

officers_2.png

And for all the doubting Thomas's out there, that torso on her is NOT drawn on, but I found it after clicking on something in the tab on the right of the screen. And as you guessed, my torso IS drawn on. :pir-devil:

I just put a roof on the gun deck and am now putting on the top decks

bow4a.png

Here is a view of the fresh new rudder.

bow4b.png

Stay tuned, but in the mean time, feel free to comment and question.

:bonaparte: "Toodles!"

WOH! Why did I just say that?

Another day, another update. Since I don't have a speech meet this week, I'll probably be able to get a bit more done this week.

Anyways, let's cut to the chase. We have a new helper for the build, every one please welcome the Elector of Brandenburg, Friedrich III. :pir-tongue:

officers3.png

I found another picture of the ship, and I realized that there is a lion on the front, and I accidentally forgot the front part.

bow5a.png

And I'm thinking of using this piece for the sides extending out of the ship. What do you think?

side1.png

Well, that's all for now. Keep the comments & questions coming!

I'm back, and I think that I said in the top to keep the comments & questions coming. Any-who, I'd bet that you are wondering why I am making a Brandenburg ship, and not a French one, Dutch one, English one, or Spanish one. Well, here's why:

I have ancestry along the Oder River in Northeast Germany. My great-great-great-great-great-great uncle was mayor of a fishing village near the Oder. My family came to live in the U.S. because Friedrich Wilhelm IV, ruler of Prussia at the time, was making them join the military and become Calvinist, even though they were already Lutheran. My great-great-great grandfather, George Wilhelm, along with his children (his wife died on the ship) travelled on the Steamship Ocilla and landed at Ellis Island, then traveled onwards to Horicon, Wisconsin, where my great-great grandfather Frank was born. Then when Frank was just a baby, Wilhelm pulled up stakes and settled along the Elkhorn River. However, I'm getting off topic, so-back to the post.

Holzenfauler would like to show you the back of the ship. Take it away, Holzie!

back.png

As above, keep the C's & Q's coming!

Edited by efullner

I made a few a lot more updates this evening :pir-tongue: . To start us off, Holzenfauler would like to show you his brand new office.

cabin_1a.png

And also, his map and collection of beer.

cabin_1b.png

What do you expect? I am a German (no racial stereotypes intended)!

Lastly, the side of the ship. Does anyone know what it's called?

side_2.png

Well, that's enough for tonight. I need a bath. :pir-sick:

I think the ship gets better and better, the colours are a bit odd though.

I would also make sure the upper gundeck curves more inwards, now it looks like a straight wall.

Lastly, the side of the ship. Does anyone know what it's called?

The tumblehome! :pir-classic:

The sides of the ship where the cabin is situated are called the galleries. Most of the time there are windows in there.

Beware though, galleries are, except for the bow, the hardest to make on this scale!

Well, that's enough for tonight. I need a bath. :pir-sick:

Go ahead. :pir-laugh:

I haven't been able to update recently because of speech clashing in with my other schedules. It is too nice today to do an update, but just keep your pants on. I'll update this build very soon.

I'm back! It's been so nice here in the Midwest recently, I just had to go out and enjoy the great weather. Thus, the build has been flowing like frozen honey. I have, though, made another update. Ladies and gentlemen:

bow7a.png

I just put the front mast on, and put a little cabin in the front. Does anyone know what the cabin in the front is called?

Well, in the mean time, see you!

Always entertaining, always inspiring, always:

in the front is called?

I believe it is called the forecastle. :pir-blush: It looks good so far, but it would look a bit better if you used a tumblehome technique or at least used some of those slanted pieces. ( :pir-sceptic: uhh, like one of slopes that are vertical but some is "cut off" so it is a slope... I hate explaining this... :pir-hmpf: ) Well, I hope you get what I mean.

I believe it is called the forecastle. :pir-blush: It looks good so far, but it would look a bit better if you used a tumblehome technique or at least used some of those slanted pieces. ( :pir-sceptic: uhh, like one of slopes that are vertical but some is "cut off" so it is a slope... I hate explaining this... :pir-hmpf: ) Well, I hope you get what I mean.

I agree, you can look at Build a Frigate Here, or you can use 3x2 slope bricks. you have lots of choice :pir-classic: and this is looking great, by the way :thumbup:

Edited by plokoon 4 life!

I made but another update last night. I put a roof on the cabin and made a staircase to the top.

bow8a.png

I got the idea for the staircase from the Grand Emporium. It's a tight fit for your foot, but you can't have all the luxuries in life.

Stay tuned!

One can clearly see that you put a lot of effort into this and, to be honest, most Americans I've met so far (been there for two years) didn't know very much about European history. Are you in an AP class?

However, the higher you get with your model, the more it looks like you completely reversed the typcial shape of any vessel which should be round and stubby at the bow and getting thin and rather pointed towards the stern. You definetely need to fix this, otherwise it looks really odd.

Anyway, keep up the work, and maybe you start getting cheap bricks on ebay so that one day you can build things in real!

One can clearly see that you put a lot of effort into this and, to be honest, most Americans I've met so far (been there for two years) didn't know very much about European history. Are you in an AP class?

Funny you should say that. I, for one, am very connected to my European background. My dad's side comes from Prussia and my mom's side comes from Niedersachsen and various Scottish lords. Since I am closely connected to these roots, I enjoy reading of the country's heroes in books and on the internet.