Praiter Yed

MOC IG-88

Thanks darth yogi.

I found this image which gives an idea of IG-88's height. He seems to be stood on a lower level to Dengar so would be even taller - my version could be the correct height :classic:

[snip]

You could probably go even higher; he's evidently taller than Vader as well. (although the fact that LEGO Vader is standard height might make it look funny.

Too late to bump this? I was not happy with the IG-88 provided by Lego in any of it's forms. Same with pretty much any Lego droid that uses battle droid style parts. They're stiff, flimsy and un-Lego IMO.

So I saw things like this and decided to try to make my own inspired by the ones here.

(no idea if I should have just made a new thread since this one is so old! Wish I could photograph mine as well as these ones)

5kbvEeD.png

SoNOPsZ.png

W3oTsHt.png

Honestly I just mostly chose what pieces to use based on what I had :P. Based lots off the one here made back in 2011.. XD

EDIT:

jzZjhDV.jpg

This is another version. The colors are worse but the stability is far better. His legs were too difficult to pose before. Now he's mostly stable.

Do those little 1x1 dot pieces with holes come in dark grey? Does the T piece come in a darker grey too? I also don't like the gap between his torso and waist. NOT DONE! :O

Edited by BrickG

EDIT: Okay I did ANOTHER variation. It's even lower.

Is double posting frowned upon here?... heh...

I think I finished him. I'm real happy. I might have cheated though. For example, the "chain" piece at the armpits (I like how it looks) well, used to be a chain, but I chopped off the center of it. I didn't feel bad because the ends of the chain are still full, unedited pieces. It's a loophole! The chest band thingy is legit lego too buuuut I may have shortened it...

Anyways I had a surprising amount of fun working on this. I think that since I'm so freakin' busy I can't do much more than tiny projects when it comes to MOCs. But they're really fun.

qPr3duP.jpg

EDIT: Here's my ACTUAL final version? The head is no longer upside-down. The light-grey pieces have mostly been replaced. 

OT9pvOC.jpg

Z4XnOUl.jpg

I'm very happy with him. I studied the mocs here and a few more around the web and I came up with my own variation. It was very fun! I want to build more droids now XD.

Edited by BrickG

Great IG-88, thanks for sharing!!

How did you connect the upper to the lower body?

Sorry for late reply, hadn't seen it before now...

Edited by TWP

Yes the final version is definitely the best, it looks great alongside standard minifigs.

I had to build one myself, but i left the head upside down, I think the stud on top captures the cone shape better.

Great work, thank you!

This looks excellent, better than the others I've seen, a much more elegant design that is not overly bulky as some.

That's real nice. Are those arms those little tools? I might go back to mine and try to make it more pure (maybe not breaking a few pieces :P).

But much of my collection is either in storage or in another country right now...  Funnily enough I had one of the best times with Lego just making this little guy. I wanna build more droids.

On 24/10/2017 at 10:52 PM, TWP said:

Great IG-88, thanks for sharing!!

How did you connect the upper to the lower body?

Sorry for late reply, hadn't seen it before now...

I honestly think I hacked it a bit. I was experimenting and chopped a few pieces due to my lack of specific other pieces. It's pure Lego (even the string!), just some bits are chopped lol.

Edited by BrickG

All the MOC’s in this thread are fantastic - I’ll definately be making one for my collection, so thanks for the inspiration!

If you use the head the right way up you could perhaps thread a silver screwdriver utility piece through it so the handle’s just poking out the top to excentuate the cone shape and also balance out the silver pieces a bit.