DLuders

Crowkillers' 2011 Supercar WIP

The only thing that I have found that I can do is block all comments from everyone. If you look through the history of posts made at my site since I started it, you'll see many rude comments made by people. But that is to be expected. My style of building is not everyone's cup of tea and I realize this. I got a first hand taste of it when I attended Brickworld 2010 in Wheeling, IL last June. I was shocked at the very rude remarks that both guests and other builders had made about my work. I even had Nathanael Kuiper's concept car on display along with my cars. One person there said "This crap shouldn't be in the main room, it should be in the back room with the monster chess board" and his friend said "Or maybe throw it out in the parking lot" and they giggled and walked away... and I was standing right there! Guests would pull there kids away from my table saying "That isn't Lego" or "We didn't come to see that".....

Like I said, you'll have these things happen. Needless to say, I will never attend another show there again. It wasn't a very pleasant experience from the time I left my house for the 10 hour drive until the time I got back home. I did meet some really great people like Bob Kojima and Thomas Mueller, and I got to sign an autograph for a guy that bought a car off of me a few years ago, so that was kind of cool. I also let everyone play with my models and demonstrated how everything worked. I think it kind of bothered some of the other builders because after kids would touch and play with my stuff, then they wanted to play with everyone else's and obviously that wasn't going to happen...

By the way Nico, I added a link on my site to your site.

You have got to be kidding. *oh2* Some people are just immature and think that their style is the only style. But that is still very rude. :angry: I guess for some people it is just hard to appreciate technic building. Welcome to the forum Paul!

The only thing that I have found that I can do is block all comments from everyone. If you look through the history of posts made at my site since I started it, you'll see many rude comments made by people. But that is to be expected. My style of building is not everyone's cup of tea and I realize this. I got a first hand taste of it when I attended Brickworld 2010 in Wheeling, IL last June. I was shocked at the very rude remarks that both guests and other builders had made about my work. I even had Nathanael Kuiper's concept car on display along with my cars. One person there said "This crap shouldn't be in the main room, it should be in the back room with the monster chess board" and his friend said "Or maybe throw it out in the parking lot" and they giggled and walked away... and I was standing right there! Guests would pull there kids away from my table saying "That isn't Lego" or "We didn't come to see that".....

Like I said, you'll have these things happen. Needless to say, I will never attend another show there again. It wasn't a very pleasant experience from the time I left my house for the 10 hour drive until the time I got back home. I did meet some really great people like Bob Kojima and Thomas Mueller, and I got to sign an autograph for a guy that bought a car off of me a few years ago, so that was kind of cool. I also let everyone play with my models and demonstrated how everything worked. I think it kind of bothered some of the other builders because after kids would touch and play with my stuff, then they wanted to play with everyone else's and obviously that wasn't going to happen...

By the way Nico, I added a link on my site to your site.

Really??? Wow.

You should have offered them a commemorative punch in the nose. :D

Crowkillers.jpg

On the Crowkillers website, Paul Boratko posted 13 pictures and this description of his 2011 Supercar:

"I started building the chassis for my new Supercar in September 2010 after the first Preliminary Photos of the new 8070 Technic Supercar leaked out. I really liked what the designers at Lego had done with this new model. I had often thought about having the hood and doors open remotely before with some of my previous models, but I had always thought that this was actually a boring feature and really didn't offer up any type of challenge as I have done many doors and hoods that open and operate in many diferent ways in the past, but I was intrigued with how Lego was using a control box where the transmission would normally be to switch between all of these different functions and a motor to actually move them , so I decided to try my hand at something similar, but without the motor as I am not a big fan of the much too large battery boxes or power function motors. I instead went with a simple knob that I incorporated into the rear end of the car that opens all of the functions by turning it clockwise and closes them by turning it counter-clockwise. At first I was following the same pattern that Lego was using by having the 2 positions on the left (forward and back) to open and close each door, but I just felt that it would be better to have the proper position on each side of the control plate in the up position for the door on that side."

There is another webpage showing 5 pairs of side-by-side comparison pictures between the upcoming Lego Technic 8070 Supercar (1H2011 model) and his 2011 Supercar. Crowkillers' 2011 Supercar (in a chalky, dull red color) is on the left, and the 8070 (in brighter red) is on the right:

2011Supercar1.JPG.w560h441.jpg8070-3.jpg.w560h420.jpg

2011Supercar2.JPG.w560h427.jpg8070-5.jpg.w560h378.jpg

2011Supercar4.JPG.w560h335.jpg8070-4.jpg.w560h347.jpg

functions107.JPG.w560h394.jpg8070-6.jpg.w560h384.jpg

2011Supercar5.JPG.w560h353.jpg8070-2.jpg.w560h372.jpg

Edited by DLuders

The 8070 (in a chalky, dull red color) is on the left, and Crowkillers' 2011 Supercar (in brighter red) is on the right

I'm fairly sure they're exactly the other way around - Crowkiller's on left (with distinctive chrome wheels), 8070 on right.

Edited by Sariel

I really really like this imagining that he did. Not only does it look amazingly fantastic, but the build is not overdone. I have also been looking at chassis pictures on brickshelf and I must say this is a very intelligent build overall in both appearance and construction. Also after browsing his brickshelf folder, I must say that there are some truly amazing models that he has built and you can really see the evolution as some of his older models have a tad bit more panels and flexible axles than needed, but still amazing none the less. I am still not 100% sure how he has all of the functions running through the center though of this new car.:sceptic:

Paul, if you read this, Great Job! I also left you some comments at your website.

Sariel was correct -- the 8070 is on the right. I corrected my post above.

...My style of building is not everyone's cup of tea and I realize this. I got a first hand taste of it when I attended Brickworld 2010 in Wheeling, IL last June. I was shocked at the very rude remarks that both guests and other builders had made about my work. I even had Nathanael Kuiper's concept car on display along with my cars. One person there said "This crap shouldn't be in the main room, it should be in the back room with the monster chess board" and his friend said "Or maybe throw it out in the parking lot" and they giggled and walked away... and I was standing right there! Guests would pull there kids away from my table saying "That isn't Lego" or "We didn't come to see that".....

Hi Paul,

Great to see you exposing yourself here! :classic:

The situations you described from Brickworld 2010 are incredible!!! :cry_sad:

Haven't you told mr that before also, and I've never imagined it could happen at a LEGO even... Fortunately I've never witnessed such behaviors at any event I've ever visited before. And rest assured your models are away better from many many other things I've seen at these events.

Can only imagine these were situations provoked by some jealous people knowing your work and trying to disturb you intentionally, or there are definitely some bunch of jerks attending LEGO events in US... :sceptic:

Please don't get demotivated and keep your fantastic work!!

PS: Humm... someone forgot to remove me from the LEGO Ambassadors group, here at EB... :look:

Wow. That looks really awesome(but also kind of gaudy) with the gold wheels and grill. :classic: and I also can clearly see from the top view that his control box is centered. :thumbup: Any guesses on what it will bring?

Wow. That looks really awesome(but also kind of gaudy) with the gold wheels and grill. :classic: and I also can clearly see from the top view that his control box is centered. :thumbup: Any guesses on what it will bring?

Based on sales of his past models, I would guess ~$400. And based on having built some of his models before, that's also about what it would cost you to go collect all the parts individually from Bricklink. From that point of view it's a really good deal because he does all the work for you. In fact, I'm quite tempted to buy it myself.

Based on sales of his past models, I would guess ~$400. And based on having built some of his models before, that's also about what it would cost you to go collect all the parts individually from Bricklink. From that point of view it's a really good deal because he does all the work for you. In fact, I'm quite tempted to buy it myself.

I do remember reading that he was not making money on selling his Lambo kits and was just doing it to help people get all of the parts in one shot so that they could build his model.

Crowkiller's "New Custom 2011 Lego Technic V8 Supercar Gold Edition" was auctioned for US $600 (~437.416 EUR) :oh3: yesterday! Maybe it had real, 24k Gold plating.... :look:

DSC05777.JPG.w560h324.jpg

I seen that. *oh2* I wonder how much $ he had invested in it though? Those wheels that were on it were probably not cheap to get plated.

Crowkiller's "New Custom 2011 Lego Technic V8 Supercar Gold Edition" was auctioned for US $600 (~437.416 EUR) :oh3: yesterday! Maybe it had real, 24k Gold plating.... :look:

But was it whit instructions?

If yes, I want the instructions :sweet:

But was it whit instructions?

If yes, I want the instructions :sweet:

No. No instructions have been made for that model. In order for him to consider doing that, I assume it would have to be worth the effort.

The Gallardo instructions are now free on his website. There are no instructions for the Murcielago per se, but I have made the CAD file with a lot of instruction steps in it and it is available for free on Brickshelf. I just used it to build the Murcielago last weekend.

dsc_3123.jpg

Eric you mean that is your model(I know crowkillers designed it, but you built it) in the picture? *oh2* How many parts are in it? Is it a pretty good model? I always thought that it looked fantastic.

Eric you mean that is your model(I know crowkillers designed it, but you built it) in the picture? *oh2* How many parts are in it? Is it a pretty good model? I always thought that it looked fantastic.

Yes, I took that picture last night. It is my copy of Crowkiller's model which I built this weekend. If it wasn't a good model, I wouldn't have built it! According to my inventory, it has 1724 parts. It has more functions than the Gallardo because of the suspension. And you are right, it looks fantastic.

Yes, I took that picture last night. It is my copy of Crowkiller's model which I built this weekend. If it wasn't a good model, I wouldn't have built it! According to my inventory, it has 1724 parts. It has more functions than the Gallardo because of the suspension. And you are right, it looks fantastic.

1,724 parts! *oh2*

Eric, I have another question. Why is it that the renders come out slightly skewed? For example, it appears in the renders that the car is longer than it actually is. LOL, or is it just me? :classic:

1,724 parts! *oh2*

Eric, I have another question. Why is it that the renders come out slightly skewed? For example, it appears in the renders that the car is longer than it actually is. LOL, or is it just me? :classic:

It's just you. Kind of. I use a small perspective which simulates a long zoom lens. It looks different than sitting right in front of the model. I don't always do this though. Look through my renders to find some "close-up" views that look different.