roamingstop

Stopping LDD from downloading junk

When I started LDD it wanted to connect to the internet and download a load of adverts for the Lego Universe stuff... in its webpane (right hand side). Unfortunately there is an error in the downloaded website files (listed as a Debug error) - which continuously interupts my work to say there is an error.

Even if I close the panel (minimise arrows) it still sends the error every 1-2 seconds. Most definitely annoying - it makes LDD unusable...

So does anyone know how to switch off the Webpage adverts (also known as spam) - without having to kill my internet connection?

Thanks

When I started LDD it wanted to connect to the internet and download a load of adverts for the Lego Universe stuff... in its webpane (right hand side). Unfortunately there is an error in the downloaded website files (listed as a Debug error) - which continuously interupts my work to say there is an error.

Even if I close the panel (minimise arrows) it still sends the error every 1-2 seconds. Most definitely annoying - it makes LDD unusable...

So does anyone know how to switch off the Webpage adverts (also known as spam) - without having to kill my internet connection?

Thanks

Can you be more specific about the Debug error, preferably a screenshot.

Regarding turning off internet connection, I think there is a line you can add to the preferences.ini to stop LDD from contacting internet. But beware - it won't check for new version then either. :wink:

I'll see if I can find the line and get back here soon.

I think I've got the same problem.

It is very annoying.

There is a button with yes and a button with no.

But it doesn't matter wich one I choose.

I think I've got the same problem.

It is very annoying.

There is a button with yes and a button with no.

But it doesn't matter wich one I choose.

Any chance of a screenshot so it's possible to see exactly what the message is and where it appears?

Same happens to me, script sometimes freezes.I think the script for Universe runs in IE, or something and tends to freeze sometimes. Its nothing related with LDD though, but the commercial.

Screenshots anyone :sing:

There there Superkalle... Would you like some Chocolate whilst waiting?...

I will provide screenshots tonight.

Well, I know that you can manually set which programs are or aren't allowed to access the internet, so you could set LDD not to access the internet. Unfortunately that means you'd stop getting updates, and you'd have to always run LDD in offline mode.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest. LDD 4.0 should be coming out this month, so perhaps there might be an option to turn off the right-hand panel where the Universe stuff pops up. I'd suggest waiting until that comes out, and then evaluating your plans from there if the problem doesn't go away.

There there Superkalle... Would you like some Chocolate whilst waiting?...

I will provide screenshots tonight.

Yes....me want chocolate....then me will....be....calm...

:tongue:

Thanks for the screenshot

I had this problem too, but it vanished some times ago (but my LDD was opened about a month ago, the last time).

When it happens, I thought it was related to the integrated browser: the rendering engine was not able to display universe mode page contents.

At start I thought LDD used ie6 rendering engine (or, better, the js engine), but as LDD works on mac too... probably my guess was not correct.

The problem has been continuous... Currently the error messages are displayed once every 10s or so... and makes using LDD impossible... Booo hisss. Give me cookies...

Previously the webpage was displaying something about DbM and not Universe - although I wonder if the error occurs when I start with DbM mode (and not universe mode). I previously had an issue which also disappeared after a while. In that case it was related to Java Script which the browser window is attemping to execute. If we could work out how Lego force the webpage to update, then I would pernamently set it to 'shop.lego.com' and be happy ever after.

Unfortunately this is also going to be the experience with many new s/w products which will want to have embedded advertisments and web-browsers... when an error occurs it kills the main application :(.

I'm now getting a similar error as of this week. I get a (typically Microsoft non-descriptive) error message telling me "an error has occurred" and would I like to no run any more scripts on the page. Doesn't matter whether I choose yes or no, I've still gotta kill LDD via Task manager and try again. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes not.

Regarding turning off internet connection, I think there is a line you can add to the preferences.ini to stop LDD from contacting internet. But beware - it won't check for new version then either. :wink:

I'll see if I can find the line and get back here soon.

Any luck? :cry_sad:

Well, I know that you can manually set which programs are or aren't allowed to access the internet, so you could set LDD not to access the internet. Unfortunately that means you'd stop getting updates, and you'd have to always run LDD in offline mode.

yes, yes, yes. I understand all that... now HOW do I disable the in-app web browser?? :wacko:

Edited by Cadder

I can confirm the errors are only present when I switch into Universe Mode... when in DbM, Technic, Creator modes I do not get the error message, because the Web Pane is showing clearly different websites.

I found a temporary fix... the default of the webpage was to go to 'Universe -> Home' site - where the errors occur. In between the errors I manged to click the Web Page tab for 'Products', the page changed and the error disappeared.

Next time I started LDD I got a web pane error showing "Digital Designer, An Error Has Occured, Click link below to go to previous page". I did not get the windows errors popping up any more... could could continue to use LDD in universe mode (first time in 10 days....)

Clicking the link suggested took me to the DbM page for Atlantis models... and still no error! Phew.

First thing I do when I start/open LDD is close the browser. To me, it's a waste of space.

Is there any way of having LDD start up with the browser window hidden/closed by default?

I found a temporary fix...

Another temporary fix could be to modify hosts file (for windows systems) in order to redirect universe home page to a blank page.

Can anyone try this solution?

Edited by Calabar

Another temporary fix could be to modify hosts file (for windows systems) in order to redirect universe home page to a blank page.

Can anyone try this solution?

What about blocking the page in browser settings?

What version of IE do you have installled? The Windows version of LDD uses the webbrowser control from IE (in mshtml.dll) to render the HTML pages. If you have an older version (IE6 or 7) it might be worth updating to see if that fixes the problem. I haven't seen any issues with IE8 or 9beta1 installed.

I would love if I could just totally disable that rightmost pane permanently.

Lego gives us a pretty awesome product for "free". I think we're just going to have to put up with their obnoxious adware.

Well, there is a way to "remove" the web panel. A small piece of code could be written that (example Windows):

1) Starts LDD

2) Sends "Ctrl"-key to close start up window

3) Sends the keys "Ctrl-3" to hide web-pane (it incorrectly says Ctrl-4 in the Help)

That's it.

(Ctrl-1 removes the camera control icons too)

So, I guess this turned out to a challenge: if there is anyone that can program this piece of software, it'd be great.

CTRL+4 is correct for me: it minimize browser sidebar.

CTRL+3 hide the toolbar!

Thanks for ctrl-1 shortcut: I hate camera control on the screen!

has anyone tested the host file modify? I can't reboot my pc now to test it.

PS: hiding the browser sidebar don't solve the problem.

PPS: Another easy workaround is to click on "product" button on the universe homepage: the link brings to a page that don't generate script errors.

Edited by Calabar

CTRL+4 is correct for me: it minimize browser sidebar.

CTRL+3 hide the toolbar!

Thanks for ctrl-1 shortcut: I hate camera control on the screen!

My mistake!