Since most things Lego are cheaper in America, I say that they will be $5 or $8 here. Even though that would be a total rip off to the people in Europe. Since the dragon is $20, it is defnitely on my list. Must have ninja stars!

I guess 10€ is for the 2-pack. There is no way TLC will charge that much for a single minifg. What makes the single packs 5€, probably 5$ I would say.

I had a look at the 2011 NINJAGO sets and I don't like em at all. THe only one I like is the Skeleton motorcycle, this skeleton rocker look kinda funny and cool!

Also, the idea with these game cards is stupid, but I guess LEGO will make lots of money - little kids love to collects these cards, I guess.

Also, the new arms of the skeletons seem stupid to me.

The sets are nothing special, the design of the structures too, it's more of a wall that a house or a fortress, sorry!

So, why is it Ninjas versus skeletons? Why not Ninjas versus Samurais or other ninjas?

So, why is it Ninjas versus skeletons? Why not Ninjas versus Samurais or other ninjas?

Because of the Rule of Cool, as it has been said before several times. :wink:

Skeletons are not that cool, they have become over-used in Lego sets in recent years, in my opinion.

At least probably our moderator White Fang is happy, I think that he loves the old Ninja sets, so he's probably waiting for 2011 to come.

Skeletons are not that cool, they have become over-used in Lego sets in recent years, in my opinion.

At least probably our moderator White Fang is happy, I think that he loves the old Ninja sets, so he's probably waiting for 2011 to come.

Keep in mind, though, that skeletons aren't that out-of-place in any fantasy theme-- they're a pretty much universal symbol of death and/or evil. And I'd hardly call one recent theme an overuse (especially since most of the most recent Castle sets used trolls instead).

I understand your point, but keep in mind also the fact that LEGO wants to make this theme, like all themes, palatable to parents. Human vs. Human conflict is obviously not completely out-of-the-question (Kingdoms and World Racers proved that pretty effectively), but some parents still cringe at that sort of conflict and prefer conflict against a less realistic, less sympathetic enemy.

I don't really care in the least who the factions are in this theme, to be perfectly honest. But I'm glad that skeletons are one of them since we get those glorious new skeleton arms and boots. Not so much of a fan of the torsos, but given that skeleton parts remain easily interchangeable (moreso than regular minifig parts, even) I'm satisfied with the parts we're getting.

Ninjas are cool too. I was a big fan of the first year of Ninja sets. The second year, not so much, although I couldn't tell you why-- I guess I just didn't find the buildings quite as compelling as those from the first year. I've never been much of a historic themes builder, so new Ninja minifigures don't appeal to me all that much, but nevertheless I'm glad to see that the Ninja Ambush, Ninja Outpost, and Spinjitzu Dojo all have very authentic-looking architectural styles, at least as far as I'm concerned. Even the Icedragon gets points in my book for that glorious banner on its back and its Mangalike aesthetic. LEGO may have some crazy ideas, but they know how to make those ideas work. That's what I feel is important.

Well the link worked for me and it appears, that on the 25th of this month, and the first of November and December more will be revealled.

Do the quiz about you mum at the end is she a Ninja ?

Keep on fighting ! :knight:

Well the link worked for me and it appears, that on the 25th of this month, and the first of November and December more will be revealled.

Do the quiz about you mum at the end is she a Ninja ?

Keep on fighting ! :knight:

Huh. No idea why it hasn't worked for me once. It always sends me to the "Page Not Found" page, no matter what country I set as my nationality.

(there are even Ninja in violet and orange)

Cool, I always liked the "jellybean knights", when I saw all those Ninjas jumping about the Lego Universe Beta it raised some questions in my head. :look:

And hey, Ninja sets! :wub: Can hardly wait for pictures, and what a snappy looking site, almost like a storybook, with questionable grammar... *huh*

ninja.jpg

I completed the Quiz and was awarded this. I think it's pretty cool.

The mascot certainly gets around. :laugh:

A little suprised it wasn't a wallpaper? *huh*

I like this site.

Kudos to the graphic designers, they put alot of effort into the overall style of this theme, and it shows!

It may be too soon to say, but I like where this line is going so far.

Cool graphical presentation.

Edited by Milargo

the web site is now online http://ninjago.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

Bad grammar, stupid pun-names, an even more stupid quiz, and a bunch of talk about how awesome ninjas are...

TLG sure isn't subtle about the fact that this theme is aimed at young kids.

I guess that makes them "not ninja". :tongue:

Well I was told by a Lego rep that this is aimed at younger children, like 7 to 9 year olds.

Keep on......being ninja ! :grin:

Cool, I always liked the "jellybean knights", when I saw all those Ninjas jumping about the Lego Universe Beta it raised some questions in my head. :look:

If you haven't noticed from previous pages, there aren't such a diverse range of colours in the actual sets... yet. Hopefully there will be more crazy colours, as the theme is meant to be anyway. But yeah, there aren't any violet or orange ninjas. :sad:

As for the site, I believe the minifig guy shown is who we're supposed to get in that training set, the one that includes the white ninja and the skeleton. I can't decide whether I want the dragon or that set for the white ninja, but now I might go for the latter if it is any cheaper.

Edited by Delta 38

Bad grammar, stupid pun-names, an even more stupid quiz, and a bunch of talk about how awesome ninjas are...

TLG sure isn't subtle about the fact that this theme is aimed at young kids.

I guess that makes them "not ninja". :tongue:

Maybe Legos trying to hard to be, oh what's the word... Hip? :laugh:

Well I was told by a Lego rep that this is aimed at younger children, like 7 to 9 year olds.

Keep on......being ninja ! :grin:

That's too bad, I was hoping for 1999 style ninja sets. :sad:

(Not that I expected otherwise.)

If you haven't noticed from previous pages, there aren't such a diverse range of colours in the actual sets... yet. Hopefully there will be more crazy colours, as the theme is meant to be anyway. But yeah, there aren't any violet or orange ninjas. :sad:

As for the site, I believe the minifig guy shown is who we're supposed to get in that training set, the one that includes the white ninja and the skeleton. I can't decide whether I want the dragon or that set for the white ninja, but now I might go for the latter if it is any cheaper.

Sorry, didn't read all the pages.

IMHO the color issue conflicts with the possible demographic (7 - 9), I mean don't kids these days like pretty colors? :tongue:

I just hope the dragon will look more like the classic green dragons, I never did like the recent castle dragons. Remind me of Mega Bloks. :sceptic:

Though I did like the technic/bionicle Viking dragons. (Maybe there have been pictures or info on the dragon? I haven't been following too closely. :grin: )

Maybe Legos trying to hard to be, oh what's the word... Hip? :laugh:

That's too bad, I was hoping for 1999 style ninja sets. :sad:

(Not that I expected otherwise.)

Sorry, didn't read all the pages.

IMHO the color issue conflicts with the possible demographic (7 - 9), I mean don't kids these days like pretty colors? :tongue:

I just hope the dragon will look more like the classic green dragons, I never did like the recent castle dragons. Remind me of Mega Bloks. :sceptic:

Though I did like the technic/bionicle Viking dragons. (Maybe there have been pictures or info on the dragon? I haven't been following too closely. :grin: )

Never fear! While there aren't any huge Japanese-style buildings like those that made the 90s theme so magnificent (the biggest building is the decidedly unrealistic fortress of the skeleton forces), there are some beautiful background details in some of the sets. The smaller sets, Ninja Ambush and Ninja Outpost, look like they'd fit in magnificently with buildings from the 90s theme. The Spinjitzu Dojo, while not very much of a building (it's basically a single wall attached to a Technic frame that acts as an arena), has a lovely aesthetic with paper windows and paper lanterns-- very well done, in my own personal opinion. I'd link to pics, but the mods have decided it's best not to link to complete copies of the leaked retailer's catalog and I don't know where I could find the Ninjago sets as separate images.

The dragon's actually much more like the more recent Castle dragons in the design of its head, except with a brickbuilt body and wings instead of larger, more specialized pieces. It looks very manga-ish in its design aesthetic. The head includes a newer, more angular head piece and what looks to be be a new lower-jaw piece (it's different from the Fantasy-era Castle dragons in having a mid-sized orange beard rather than a spike in the front)

Its name (based on translations from Dutch and German, anyway) is "Icedragon", and it uses various clever pieces. It has helicopter blades for its bony-looking "wings", BIONICLE claws for its feet, and the Crystal King's crystalline wedge pieces on its torso in a more icy transparent-blue color. It also (here's the part where many AFOLs immediately lose interest) has a BIONICLE launcher in its mouth-- the Thornax Launcher, the same two-pronged one used in the Lavatraz set as well as many world-racers sets. Like with its other appearances in System sets, it launches not the spiked rubber Thornax piece but rather plastic spheres introduced to BIONICLE in 2006 and also making notable appearances in NXT-era Mindstorms sets.

I wasn't too big a fan of the more recent dragons (I didn't get any sets with them, though that was partly because I scarcely got any Fantasy-era Castle sets to begin with), but I do say that I understand the reason for the change. The addition of further poseability and printed faces was most welcome in my opinion, and made the dragons much more ferocious than the older ones. The amount of building that went into them was also improved. Overall, while the aesthetic was closer to that expected of Mega-Bloks with its many specialized pieces, it was largely superior to the older one (which depended on specialized pieces as well, but was just a five-piece structure rather than a unique construction in its own right).

In the same sense, I loved the newer shark design from Pirates and Agents, in its ability to actually swallow a minifigure, its increased number of attachment points, and more impressive size than the older sharks. An ideal version of the new shark would IMO be one that kept the same design but had a fishier-looking face print.

Getting off-topic here. Long story short, some people will like the Icedragon, others won't. It certainly impresses me, but seeing as I was a fan of themes like BIONICLE, KKII, and Exo-Force, my recommendation certainly won't mean much to builders who prefer historic themes.

Never fear! While there aren't any huge Japanese-style buildings like those that made the 90s theme so magnificent (the biggest building is the decidedly unrealistic fortress of the skeleton forces), there are some beautiful background details in some of the sets. The smaller sets, Ninja Ambush and Ninja Outpost, look like they'd fit in magnificently with buildings from the 90s theme. The Spinjitzu Dojo, while not very much of a building (it's basically a single wall attached to a Technic frame that acts as an arena), has a lovely aesthetic with paper windows and paper lanterns-- very well done, in my own personal opinion. I'd link to pics, but the mods have decided it's best not to link to complete copies of the leaked retailer's catalog and I don't know where I could find the Ninjago sets as separate images.

I just found a page listing pictures of the new 2011 Ninjago, Hero Factory (Shame Breeze doesn't look like a chick anymore, I mean really, worse the 06' Hahli. :sceptic: Thankfully primary yellow and orange are back! :tongue: ), Egyptians (It's got 1990s cool!), and Atlantis sets. (Times like these when I love Google :wub: )

I really don't like the playing card gimmick, IMHO it cheapens the whole line.

And I like what I see, mostly it doesn't have that "classic" feel that I love so much. :sad: However the Egyptian set do have that classic feel, love the looks of em'. :wub:

I see what you mean about the Spinjitzu Dojo, there's not much there but hey, I have to use that technique in my city, unless I wanna run outta bricks in a hurry.

As long as the set isn't overpriced(Not much there :sceptic: ), I'll pick that one up it'd look nice on the outskirts of my kingdom. :classic:

The dragon's actually much more like the more recent Castle dragons in the design of its head, except with a brickbuilt body and wings instead of larger, more specialized pieces. It looks very manga-ish in its design aesthetic. The head includes a newer, more angular head piece and what looks to be be a new lower-jaw piece (it's different from the Fantasy-era Castle dragons in having a mid-sized orange beard rather than a spike in the front)

Its name (based on translations from Dutch and German, anyway) is "Icedragon", and it uses various clever pieces. It has helicopter blades for its bony-looking "wings", BIONICLE claws for its feet, and the Crystal King's crystalline wedge pieces on its torso in a more icy transparent-blue color. It also (here's the part where many AFOLs immediately lose interest) has a BIONICLE launcher in its mouth-- the Thornax Launcher, the same two-pronged one used in the Lavatraz set as well as many world-racers sets. Like with its other appearances in System sets, it launches not the spiked rubber Thornax piece but rather plastic spheres introduced to BIONICLE in 2006 and also making notable appearances in NXT-era Mindstorms sets.

I wasn't too big a fan of the more recent dragons (I didn't get any sets with them, though that was partly because I scarcely got any Fantasy-era Castle sets to begin with), but I do say that I understand the reason for the change. The addition of further poseability and printed faces was most welcome in my opinion, and made the dragons much more ferocious than the older ones. The amount of building that went into them was also improved. Overall, while the aesthetic was closer to that expected of Mega-Bloks with its many specialized pieces, it was largely superior to the older one (which depended on specialized pieces as well, but was just a five-piece structure rather than a unique construction in its own right).

I like this dragon, that's one cool head. :sweet:

I'm glad they decided to use a brick built body in place of the more specialized pieces. I can live with the Thornax launcher, as long as it doesn't look too out of place. Sitting there... In between the skull. :sceptic: Still, never discount playability. :grin:

But, yeah I really "dig" his design.

In the same sense, I loved the newer shark design from Pirates and Agents, in its ability to actually swallow a minifigure, its increased number of attachment points, and more impressive size than the older sharks. An ideal version of the new shark would IMO be one that kept the same design but had a fishier-looking face print.

Getting off-topic here. Long story short, some people will like the Icedragon, others won't. It certainly impresses me, but seeing as I was a fan of themes like BIONICLE, KKII, and Exo-Force, my recommendation certainly won't mean much to builders who prefer historic themes.

I was kinda torn on the new sharks, I liked its ability to swallow minifigures don't get me wrong. But something about it just didn't, seem lego enough I like the cats owls and dogs "without faces", maybe because that's what I'm used to, but it still really feels "Lego" to me. If that makes any sense. :laugh:

I too love KKII Bionicle and Exo-Force, and I like this new Ninjango line, I find the set design to be pretty cool, not 1999 cool but, you get my drift. :wink:

What I'm really excited about is that new Egyptian line, certainly looked cool in the pictures. :grin:

Lego's Egyptian line. It's got 1990s cool!

Edited by Milargo

I was kinda torn on the new sharks, I liked its ability to swallow minifigures don't get me wrong. But something about it just didn't, seem lego enough I like the cats owls and dogs "without faces", maybe because that's what I'm used to, but it still really feels "Lego" to me. If that makes any sense. :laugh:

I felt sort of the same way, but then realized that LEGO horses have always had printed faces. I came to prefer this because it makes LEGO animals feel more like they belong in the same universe as regular minifigures.

And glad you like what you've seen of the Ninjago theme! I myself am not planning on collecting this, since I doubt I'll have the budget and don't really feel "drawn" to it like I was to other themes like Atlantis. But I still appreciate the effort that went toward set design considering that this theme is otherwise just driven by the top and playing card gimmicks. As I've said before, this sort of theme can act as a "stepping-stone" to other LEGO themes. Kids will pick it up because the action features and tops scream "fun to play with", but after getting the larger sets they'll hopefully come to appreciate the building aspect as well. LEGO could stick to building-intensive themes, but then they'd be mainly appealing to people who already collect LEGO sets and know what makes a good set, rather than to kids who are in the toy market for anything that keeps them entertained.

I certainly prefer this to certain sets from the late 90s, particularly from the Town theme. These sets show that the way to get kids into LEGO isn't to give them lame-looking <insert that tiresome argument> sets with specialized prints and blocky aesthetics (even Jack Stone sets are far better than some of the late-90s Town sets), but rather to give them a taste of actual design quality to complement the action-packed play-value that attracts them to the sets in the first place.

I felt sort of the same way, but then realized that LEGO horses have always had printed faces. I came to prefer this because it makes LEGO animals feel more like they belong in the same universe as regular minifigures.

(In a checky british accent) My God man, you've got a point there! :tongue:

And glad you like what you've seen of the Ninjago theme! I myself am not planning on collecting this, since I doubt I'll have the budget and don't really feel "drawn" to it like I was to other themes like Atlantis. But I still appreciate the effort that went toward set design considering that this theme is otherwise just driven by the top and playing card gimmicks. As I've said before, this sort of theme can act as a "stepping-stone" to other LEGO themes. Kids will pick it up because the action features and tops scream "fun to play with", but after getting the larger sets they'll hopefully come to appreciate the building aspect as well. LEGO could stick to building-intensive themes, but then they'd be mainly appealing to people who already collect LEGO sets and know what makes a good set, rather than to kids who are in the toy market for anything that keeps them entertained.

Couldn't agree with you more, though I can't help but be selfish and wish for building-intensiveness to be prominent in all themes. :devil:

Atlantis is a fanastic theme, IMHO better than the "Power Miners" which I desperately wish was more like Rock Raiders. :look:

Careful when throwing "Jack Stone" around, might give some of us nightmares. :laugh:

I certainly prefer this to certain sets from the late 90s, particularly from the Town theme. These sets show that the way to get kids into LEGO isn't to give them lame-looking <insert that tiresome argument> sets with specialized prints and blocky aesthetics (even Jack Stone sets are far better than some of the late-90s Town sets), but rather to give them a taste of actual design quality to complement the action-packed play-value that attracts them to the sets in the first place.

"Play well" indeed. :wink:

And glad you like what you've seen of the Ninjago theme! I myself am not planning on collecting this, since I doubt I'll have the budget and don't really feel "drawn" to it like I was to other themes like Atlantis. But I still appreciate the effort that went toward set design considering that this theme is otherwise just driven by the top and playing card gimmicks.

That's funny, because I kind of had the exact opposite reaction upon seeing the pictures for the first time. Honestly, the NinjaGo playsets are probably some of the weakest kits TLC has released in years, IMO. The skeleton fotress and ninja dojo just don't really compare to sets like the Portal of Atlantis, Space Police HQ, Kingdom's Castle, or even 2011's Atlantean Temple. I can understand what you mean about this theme being a "stepping stone," but the problem is that it also seems to be the biggest release of 2011, with all the collectable figures pushing the set count way above the likes of Atlantis, Pharaoh's Quest, and even StarWars. If some of TLC's other 2011 releases were being given the same treatment, then I'd be perfectly fine with NinjaGo, but as it stands I don't like to see a second-rate theme take the spotlight away from everything else.

Then again, I seem to be apathetic about next year's lego in general. City is underwhelming, Pharaoh's Quest seems more like Adventures with monsters then an actual step up in design, Hero Factory is an absolute bust, and Star Wars is very boring apart from the new figures. The only stuff that seems to maintain the quality of the last few years are Atlantis and a couple of the new Police sets, and even then they don't have the same wow factor as Space Police III, Prince of Persia, or even this years' Atlantis and City. It just seems like they've taken a big step backwards in both originality and set designs - and no, I don't consider putting Ninjas and Fantasy Castle skeletons in the same box "original" in the least. I'll ask again: does anyone else feel this way? :sceptic: