KimT

LEGO Star Wars 2011 Pictures & Rumors

Wild mass guessing time! There were many clues directing to a Cloud City Playset that I always wanted to point those out. Well, the topic is labled as rumors, I hope theories count for that, too.

* The UCS Jedi Starfighter is probably the most blandest UCS set you all have ever seen. It made so bad in sales, the S@H had the price reduced for a THIRD in just A MONTH after the release. Normally they do this with UCS sets only after three years when they want to discount a set. The discussion topics indicate that it is unpopular because of the bad choice for a model. The simple design choice seems to come because they had less time than normal. Maybe the Cloud City was intended for a 2010 release but was canceled or put on the shelf when it became apparent that they can´t produce it in time for a release this year. The JSF was a fast and easy choice, the design process should be much shorter than with a 400 bucks monstrosity with countless functions and stability questions. It also would explain the release during October/November. It probably was produced in the last minute for a christmas shopping release. You might say: This all shows that it WAS intended for a release in the past, so why should it still come out and not be rejected?

The set itself actually looks quite good on display, I know not everyone is a fan of the design of the actual ship itself but I think it's fine and I do appreciate getting smaller/cheaper UCS sets. Lately it's just been big things like the death star, MF and imperial shuttle, which are just way out of my price range. I think the only reason the starfighter sold so badly was because of the price. I'm not usually one to complain about the brick/money ratio but no matter how you look at it, £100 for 600 pricks is just ridiculous. They clearly thought the set would sell for a higher price just because it's a UCS. I'm sure now that it's been discounted, sales have probably picked up.

I'll wrap this up as neat and tidy as I can.

If you like CW then that's awesome, you have a SW show to watch and enjoy. If you don't like CW then that's too bad, but be grateful that the events of CW are so unimportant to the main storyline that they don't even warrant a mention in ROTS.

But, I think we can all agree on one thing. Without CW keeping Star Wars relevant, the Lego Star Wars license would likely have ended by now. Whether you like it or not, it is a GOOD thing CW is on air; you're either getting CW sets you like and/or occasionally getting some PT/OT sets that you normally wouldn't be getting without the continued license.

As an OT collector it pains me that almost all the sets are CW but I'm not the target audience, kids are. Yes, LEGO's are, in fact, for kids! CW is a kid's show. They're going to make more sets for a show that is on the air and their target audience is currently watching, it's just smart business. They're going to make those figures more detailed because I bet studies show that kids want really detailed figures over a high piece count. They're not going to make a bunch of OT sets that have already been made in the past and attract a smaller audience than their CW sets. This is just the way things are going to be.

Let's get the thread back on track.

I totally agree with you but, rumor has it that Lucas has decided to rerelease the Star Wars Saga in 3D. If this pans out to be true look for much more of the OT sets to be rereleased as they will become more popular. In my opinion, much like what I've seen so far as far the Summer 2011 sets go, there will be a lot of new minifigs and a lot of redesigned minifigs. I think all the yellow minifigs will be converted to flesh colored minifigs. Jabba the Hutt is going to get a much needed makeover like what we've seen with Jar Jar! Much like yourself, I'm older and I enjoy collecting Star Wars LEGOS from the OT. I think you and I have a lot to look forward to in years to come. Happy collecting my friend!

The set itself actually looks quite good on display, I know not everyone is a fan of the design of the actual ship itself but I think it's fine and I do appreciate getting smaller/cheaper UCS sets. Lately it's just been big things like the death star, MF and imperial shuttle, which are just way out of my price range. I think the only reason the starfighter sold so badly was because of the price. I'm not usually one to complain about the brick/money ratio but no matter how you look at it, £100 for 600 pricks is just ridiculous. They clearly thought the set would sell for a higher price just because it's a UCS. I'm sure now that it's been discounted, sales have probably picked up.

I agree. I would've gotten it if it went down to $50, but because I always end up scraping my sets and that set didn't have very many good pieces, I passed at $75.

Anyways, if Cloud City comes out...I'll be happy,

Unfortunately, it would seem that sales on the UCS Jedi Starfighter have picked up during the sale as (in the US) it's gone back up to $99.99. Still, this is obviously not one of Lego's best selling items and hopefully they wont make the same mistake again.

Unfortunatly, I live in the UK so I won't be able to go to the New York Toy Fair, but I can't wait for some pics when they're put up on the internet. Lets hope we get some good ones!

JediNews.co.uk and FBTB.net always have a ton of photos up on their websites.

Look at Darth Maul's head in the prelim pictures... Looks like a mushroom. Hopefully LEGO doesnt release this minifig like this. If they do fix that and make the top portion of the head flush with the actual face piece, with the horns... 2nd best minifig EVER! Only after the new version of Boba of course. I don't really care too much for the ships and props with the summer prelims but more for the new minifigs. So far they look great. I hope they have new Ewoks released every year. This summer looks awesome for those who don't care too much for the Clone Wars sets! Happy collecting!

I'm guessing this has already been pointed out but artoo is gonna be in the naboo starfighter. Look at his info on the sample page of the character encyclopedia.

I'm guessing this has already been pointed out but artoo is gonna be in the naboo starfighter. Look at his info on the sample page of the character encyclopedia.

I'd be really surprised if he wasn't.

I'd be really surprised if he wasn't.

I was kinda hoping they'd go for a generic pilot and droid. The pairing of Jake Lloyd and R2-D2 was one of the worst moments in SW history IMO.

"Lets try spinning, that's a neat trick!"

I was kinda hoping they'd go for a generic pilot and droid. The pairing of Jake Lloyd and R2-D2 was one of the worst moments in SW history IMO.

And Han's "trick" (as he calls it) of veering slightly to the left to get away from the star destroyers was just fantastic lol.

Dose anyone think the lightsaber Qui Gon Jinn is holding look very green? Think it will be yellow in the set. I have always hated the green lightsaber blades as the really look yellow.

"Now this is podracing!!!"

Gaaahhh!!!

But enough of that. Let's get back on topic.

I doubt they'll change the lightsaber color; it is classic, after all.

Dose anyone think the lightsaber Qui Gon Jinn is holding look very green? Think it will be yellow in the set. I have always hated the green lightsaber blades as the really look yellow.

I agree. Green lightsabers are always neon green (though I think it looks more like neon yellow, so I normally call it that), and blue lightsabers are a bit too pale. It's probably just me, but I wouldn't mind a change to darker shades of blue and green. A bit late now, though...

But yes, the lightsaber indeed does look more green than usual. I hope future green lightsabers will look like that, but they have been neon green/yellow for a long time, so I doubt it.

I was kinda hoping they'd go for a generic pilot and droid.

That would be cool- a pilot, using a new helmet and possibly a new droid.

That would be cool- a pilot, using a new helmet and possibly a new droid.

Well the last N-1 had a generic pilot.

Hello AFOL community,

Old fan of Lego and SW, I have been following this thread for a while now and finally decided to register. I won't bore you much, just figured I'd say hi and share a couple of thoughts relative to this topic.

I for one, am very much looking forward to a new Hoth base, in a UCS or a large set, because each of the previous was lacking in some elements. It's about time we get an ion canon, if not a full command center, bacta tank etc...

Cloud city done in a manner of a DS would certainly look terrific, but I have some concerns about the feasibility of such set. Stability to begin with... Knowing the shape of a CC, how would that thing hold in place?

Finally, perhaps a little less pertinent question to this topic, does anyone have an idea why was the production/sales of such brilliant sets like AT-TE or republic gunship ceased without even thoughts of re-release, whereas some much older ones (and in dire need of re-design...) are still to be found around (i.e. 6212)?

Finally, perhaps a little less pertinent question to this topic, does anyone have an idea why was the production/sales of such brilliant sets like AT-TE or republic gunship ceased without even thoughts of re-release, whereas some much older ones (and in dire need of re-design...) are still to be found around (i.e. 6212)?

I think that before a set is produced TLG forms expectation about (1) the number of sales and (2) the price that customers are prepared to pay. Then, it is produced.

Thus, I'd say 6212 sold far worse then expected. If a set sales slow that is a problem because it binds financial resources that could be used for a different purpose. Thus, TLG has an interest in selling sets fast; however, they don't have an interest in customers paying a higher price by buying via e.g. ebay because it reduces the budget customers can spend on new products. If 7676 is gonna be re-released depends on the expectations TLG forms about the demand.

Well. At least that's my guess.

Edited by Brickadeer

Thus, I'd say 6212 sold far worse then expected. If a set sales slow that is a problem because it binds financial resources that could be used for a different purpose. Thus, TLG has an interest in selling sets fast; however, they don't have an interest in customers paying a higher price by buying via e.g. ebay because it reduces the budget customers can spend on new products. If 7676 is gonna be re-released depends on the expectations TLG forms about the demand.

Well. At least that's my guess.

I'd actually say 6212 sold pretty well. TLG has to have done at least two production runs to have lasted this long, and based on reports of people receiving the new R2 minifig in it I'd say they've begun another. Evidently, despite the many inaccuracies, both TLG and the buyers are satisfied with this design.

When I was at the factory last autumn they had a bunch of 6212 cardboard boxes sitting in the packing area, just waiting for the polybags to arrive.

So if they were doing 6212 sets in Billund during autumn, then I think it's safe to say that the set sold (and still does) very well.

Hello AFOL community,

Cloud city done in a manner of a DS would certainly look terrific, but I have some concerns about the feasibility of such set. Stability to begin with... Knowing the shape of a CC, how would that thing hold in place?

CC would have a stand for display, and removed from the stand for play.

The X-wing is arguably the most iconic SW ship. It will always sell well. It's in a good price range for everyone to purchase it. It's a generic ship that people might buy more than one of to create a rebel fleet. All in all, it's good business sense to keep this ship on the shelves to rake in money.

The X-wing is arguably the most iconic SW ship. It will always sell well. It's in a good price range for everyone to purchase it. It's a generic ship that people might buy more than one of to create a rebel fleet. All in all, it's good business sense to keep this ship on the shelves to rake in money.

I do not argue that. What I do argue is that minifigs are old. The set already has that 'antique' look. Plus the inaccuracies, which, to be honest, I don't mind much. I am just saying that they retired two excellent, modern-looking sets and are not even trying to re-design the X-Wing. Not taking too much risk, even if they might improve the profits, do they? :)

Definitely have to agree with that. Personally, I think that if there ever was a 'LEGO Star Wars Starter Pack', it's 6212. The only thing that could make it better fit that role would be to change it from ESB to AnH and replace Wedge with C-3P0.

Definitely have to agree with that. Personally, I think that if there ever was a 'LEGO Star Wars Starter Pack', it's 6212. The only thing that could make it better fit that role would be to change it from ESB to AnH and replace Wedge with C-3P0.

I was always a little more inclined towards the Falcon :classic: But, anyway, let's stop discussing 6212, it could use a brush-up no matter how much $$$ it generates and no arguing about its iconic status (on that note, I doubt 4504 was selling bad and still they are always reinventing it). My post merely reflected surprise on how fast they withdrew two icons of the CW and PT, AT-TE and gunship.

Edited by Spyderlord

I must say, after taking a closer look at Darth Maul's new speeder bike, it looks HORRIBLE! (also, on a side note, according to the most recent episode of the CW, Darth Maul is still alive in the Outer Rim? HOW!?)