DLuders

Scanned STICKERS for Technic Sets

Could a paint chart help?

I don't know what the popular stores are in the US but I am sure a DIY store will have a 'blue' color on a chart, that might help with finding a near copy of the blue color used for custom stickers.

Could a paint chart help?

I don't know what the popular stores are in the US but I am sure a DIY store will have a 'blue' color on a chart, that might help with finding a near copy of the blue color used for custom stickers.

Paint colors don't help much. The issue is that a color on a computer monitor does not look the same when printed on a CMYK printer. And different printers render colors differently. So you really need to make small changes to the file until you get the output of a particular printer to match a part. I selected the blue in my file by taking a picture of the Williams car and then capturing the color in Photoshop. But this relies on the camera and the lighting so get it right, and then it still won't look the same when printed. Color matching is hard.

Did anyone ever find out anything about the dealer edition? I couple of months back I saw an auction for one of these completely covered in dust but the pics appeared to be taken in a car dealership, if I had known there were other versions I might have tried picking it up.

Paint colors don't help much. The issue is that a color on a computer monitor does not look the same when printed on a CMYK printer. And different printers render colors differently. So you really need to make small changes to the file until you get the output of a particular printer to match a part. I selected the blue in my file by taking a picture of the Williams car and then capturing the color in Photoshop. But this relies on the camera and the lighting so get it right, and then it still won't look the same when printed. Color matching is hard.

I'm not that clued up on these things, but would it help to find somewhere with a calibrated printer and monitor to do the final colour tweaking (even holding up a panel next to the screen)? At the least, it may cut down on print iterations.

No worries, TechnicFreak. I have a built-in "netiquette" filter in my brain that goes all the way back to USENET days that says it is bad form to post in a topic that has been inactive for more than a few months. But your post is certainly relevant. Sorry if you felt anything personal was implied.

Well, you didn't actually ask any questions in your post. At the end you said "wonder if Lego can send me another sticker sheet" so I was trying to give you advice on how to get one from LEGO. I guess what you really wanted was advice on sticker goo removal. When I removed the sticker residue from my Williams Racer, I soaked all the panels in soapy water until the residue was really soft and then scraped if off with an X-Acto knife. It worked pretty well.

I don't think there is any conspiracy. You never know what people are going to be interested in. Sometimes someone will post an amazing MOC and it will get 1000 views but no one will make a comment. Other times someone will make a minor post on an irrelevant topic and it will get 300 replies. The Internet is fickle. Personally, I don't even look at who a question is from before deciding whether or not to reply. Mostly it is based on whether or not I have time to answer.

@Blakbird - thanks for your reply. Actually I don't look at the dates a topic was created, I had thought it was a new topic but somehow it came back up from 2010 and interested me because of the sticker issue and the question I posed was how to safely remove the sticker residue, I will follow your idea, thank you.

Although printing out scanned stickers onto sticker paper sounds like a great idea, how does the quality compare to the original (assuming you use high quality sitcker paper)? Also, would you have to cut off each sticker along the borders and apply them separetely? Sounds like a pain in the neck to do so, unless its for sets like 8258 where stickers can go up to $20 on bricklink.

If it was me, I would scan the stickers and then use this to remake a new file in something like photoshop, CorelDraw, or Illustrator and then put a cutting path around each sticker so that my Dad's machine can go around and cut around the path.

img_1244.jpg

My own 8461's stickers (applied in 2003) have weathered time better than some photos you guys are posting, but many of the white ones have peeled off so used liquid paper to cover it up. :laugh: On those pics, seen on the large blue+ some small white triangle stickers.

http://www.brickshel...el/img_1252.jpg

Edited by SheepEater

Hello everyone! As I am new to eurobricks and, consequantly, new to this forum, I read every response from this thread. I am a Technic collector myself and, as many other owner of older Lego sets, I experienced the same problems with the stickers. I tried to access Tonyst170 website, but it is not working anymore. Did someone save the scans he posted there? Thank you! Julian

Got the same problem about the site, i'm looking for the 8421scan...

My set looks nude without stickers :hmpf_bad:

williams_zps816f9b9f.jpg

my second hand set i just bought have all the stcikers peeling of....i gonna try see what mine looks like without stickers, i prefer stickerless sets.

but i bought one of those precut sticker sheets off ebay for this set...in case i think it needs the stickers.

img_1244.jpg

My own 8461's stickers (applied in 2003) have weathered time better than some photos you guys are posting, but many of the white ones have peeled off so used liquid paper to cover it up. :laugh: On those pics, seen on the large blue+ some small white triangle stickers.

http://www.brickshel...el/img_1252.jpg

that B model of 8461 is amazing....it just uses the parts from the A model right?