25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hello everyone,

Wait no more, the Prince of Persia has finally arrived the shores of Singapore. Actually, I wanted to review this as soon as I can, but with many wonderful Reviewers from Eurobricks contributing, I thought it will be nice if I could slowly take my time to review them one by one. Nevertheless, I will begin my Prince of Persia reviewing spree with the smallest set. Anyway, it has been a long while since I last review something proper, and I really hope you will enjoy reading this. 

Name: Desert Attack
Theme: LEGO System / Prince of Persia
Year: 2010
Pieces: 67
Minifigs: 4
Price: USD$10.99, GBP N.A, SGD$25.90
Resources: Brickset, Peeron, BrickLink

An image of a 7569, Desert Attack

1.jpg

A rear image of a 7569, Desert Attack

2.jpg

Dastan don't feel safe in this region

21.jpg

Although the 7569 Desert Attack is the smallest set among the 5 available sets made for this Disney movie, but this set has truly taken builders into another brand new level, involving new exciting parts and minifigures in this affordable looking LEGO set. Now, come on with me and Dastan on this magical journey where new assortments are now forged and ready.

Instruction Manual and Contents polybags

3.jpg
You will find 2 sealed polybags and instruction manual. The printed Persian looking horse and brown bush plant is packed separately.

New Weapons assortment

4.jpg

Many new exciting weapons can now be found in this incredible set. You are able to obtain new parts such as the bladed claw weapon which resembles "Wolverine", new armored shoulder pad and Dastan scabbard holder. As for the rest of the weapons, you will get 2 katana, 2 dark brown looking spears and 1 long doubled axe. These weapon parts are very useful for customising your solders and guards within your armies.

Useful parts for your own use

5.jpg

Not only the weapons are great, even these parts are very useful too. Who could not want to have spare parts of the treasure gems and plants, especially the dark bluish gray plant and dark tan cactus which could be used for building your desert surroundings? Of course, it's also nice to have a scorpion and snake added into the pool. I have too many of those, but it's still good to have.

Desert Attack Minifigures cast

7.jpg

The weapons and useful parts are not just the "Wow" factor, but instead the minifigures assortments are truly the main beauty attraction for this set, and it's one of the key reasons to get multiples of this. The 2 Hassansin Brothers are absolute unique to this set and it can be easily integrated into any generic Middle Eastern guards or mercenaries for hire. Plus, you are now able to own the classic skeleton and having the main hero in your collection.

Dastan's heroic expression

10.jpg

I actually don't mind getting multiples of Dastan. He is handsome and cool, compared to our dear Indy. I love the torsos, legs and even the new hair piece. The parts are really very useful for customisation. I could easily imagine having the parts to be used onto my Castle sets. At the same time, Dastan's head is a dual expression and, the other side of him is definitely not to be messed with.

Dastan's scabbard for holding his 2 sharp katana

9.jpg

This is a closer angle of Dastan's scabbard. The scabbard holder can be easily placed onto any minifigures whom has the ability to wield dual weapons and it will be nice to implement this onto a ninja minifigure, even though the hood could not be placed together.

The Hassansin Brothers without their keffiyeh

11.jpg

Without their keffiyeh, you are able to notice the sharp details of the Hassansin Brothers. Their facial apperances sure looks mean enough. I wonder how Dastan fends them off.

The Hassansin Brothers backs

12.jpg

Their back are even printed. It's very nice of TLG to have these unique affordable minifigures to be so "complete" on its front and back. :thumbup:

Classic Skeleton

14.jpg

Nothing much for me to highlight, but to give a warm welcome to our Classic Skeleton. :tongue:

Black printed horse covered with Persian Blanket pattern

13.jpg

This is another reason why I love this set. You get a black printed horse, and I am always crazy about horses and with this print, you could probably be making this as part of the Middle Eastern Royal Cavalries. Oh well, I am really fond of this new print.

Harsh Desert surroundings filled with many hidden dangers

15.jpg

The built itself is not very exciting, but it still offers some nice basic features. I think you will need multiples of these to create a nice basic desert surroundings by breaking it apart and forming a wider terrain.

Side view

16.jpg

You discovered some treasure gems

17.jpg

By lifting the rocks, you are able to find some treasure hidden beneath. I wonder whom hidden it there and if it's related to the movie?

Spare parts

These are the following spare parts, an useful Minifig Weapon bladed claw, a light bluish gray slope and a white skeleton arm.

Can Dastan stand against those nasty Hassansin Brothers

20.jpg

To conclude, this is one of the best looking valued small sets among the Prince of Persia collection. It is affordable and comes with many great bonuses such as 4 minifigures, and among the 4 minifigures, 2 of them are unique. You get plentiful of weapons, useful parts and some dark tan parts for your desert MOCs. Lastly, there is one special printed Persian horse available in this set. What else can I ask for? 

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (You can replay the ambush scene based on the movie, I think.)
Design: 9.5/10 (Apart from the lack in building of the surroundings, but the parts and minifigures made up the big portion of this score.)
Price: 9/10 (Affordable valued set with many excellent new parts.)
Overall: 9.2/10 (Grab this set as many as you can and don't feel regret about it.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Another great review, WhiteFang! ) :classic::thumbup:

This set is definitely one of the best of it's kind and my second most favourite in PoP theme after the Ostrich one.

Indeed that set is full of great parts and details not only for customizing, but also for MOCing.... But the real treasure is indeed the minifigures. One can never have enough Dastans with that lovely hair and those useful bare hands. ) :wub:

It also provides me, the Vizier, with warriors (hasassins) and multiplies my defeated foes (skeletons). :classic:

Thanks again for a great review! ) :thumbup:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

Thanks for the review.

This is a nice little set which is really worth the money.

Burman

Thanks for the wonderful review Whitefang!

It´s a nice set for the money.

I did enyoy reading this :wink:

Minxter

Great review. I also really like this set. It has great minifigures, a really cool horse, the old skeleton, and a scorpion which I do not have to many of. So I would give this set 10/10 because you really cannot expect more from a set of this size.

Thanks 'Whitefang' for this review - COOL set :grin: - I'll get at least one for my son to play with. These will not last on store shelves very long - where else do get a hero of a film for about $15-18 AU eh ?

The weapons are excellent so to the printed torso's and faces.

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I got this set yesterday for parts (the bush, horse and black keffiyeh for contest entries - thanks for expanding my lexicon btw), and yeah, I was dead pleased with it. Four figs loaded down with accessories plus a horse is a bargain for the price of a regular battlepack. I don't like the skeleton, though, his arms are useless, he's only good for lying there dead and the other skeletons can do that AND cheerlead when required. That wasn't enough to pull points off my opinion, though.

I didn't actually build it, though. I assembled the minifigs but shuffled the scenery parts away immediately. It's functional but basic.

Great review! I like this set, and the figs are amazing :thumbup:

14~1.jpg

BTW, you dislocated your skeleton's right shoulder :tongue:

Edited by prateek

Thanks guys. I am glad you all have enjoyed reading this review. This set is definitely one of the valued sets, similar to the Indiana Jones, 7195 Ambush in Cairo. It appears TLG has seriously noted our great interest towards minifigs designs and parts assortments. :wub:

It's not my practice to bump my own topics for no apparent reasons, but I really must add to some of these points which I fail to mention in this review, especially after watching the sneak preview of the Prince of Persia movie earlier. :wub:

Without adding too much spoilers (I hope), I now understand what's the real purpose and origin of the Hassansin. You could treat them as the State Secret Police, but much more sinister than it should be. The Hassansins are exactly spot on inside the movie. The torso from its facial appearance are all very accurate and the claw looking guy, that's not really a weapon claws but instead shooting out multiple sharp arrows from its fist. Even the black looking horse with the barding which Prince Dastan will use it for his escape is also similar.

I am glad I fall in love with this theme and it puts almost every existing PoP set into right perspective. :thumbup:

Nice review for what is essentially a "battle-pack." Good value.

... the claw looking guy, that's not really a weapon claws but instead shooting out multiple sharp arrows from its fist.

Huh. I probably won't see the movie, but for me MOCcing, these will always be claws. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the info though. Glad to see these are accurate!

Just picked up this set today for myself and I must say the minifigs and in particular their accessories are definately the highlight for me, the double sword sheath, the claws and the shoulder pads all could be very useful, I'm already picturing a TMNT shredder minifig with the shoulder pad and claws alone....