Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

New AFOL/TFOL online survey

All done, I added an option on mine, recycle old themes such as ninja and western :tongue:

wish I though of that option, I just wrote to continue star wars, and no stickers for number 1.

Finished. I do hope they will actually consider lowering the prices. Other than that, LEGO, IMO, is the greatest toy humans have ever invented. :classic:

Hey everyone, I have a friend who owns pretty much the world's greatest toy store on earth. We both love LEGO, but according to him, the company's a pain to deal with. They cut special deals with big retailers like Target and Toys "R" Us, and gouge the bulk cost of their sets to near the MSRP, which has forced my friend to sell fewer and fewer LEGO products. Combined with the free gift wrapping his store offers, this pretty much forces him not to make any money selling what is understandably his store's biggest selling brand. Please use this survey to tell LEGO to stop forcing independent toy stores to sell their products without making a profit! I want the cool little toy stores to continue to thrive.

I heard this too, that is why Cobi has a large foothold in North Wales, Lego just will not play fair with small retailers...

Onto the subject of the poll: Once again the option to add suggestions means all the relevant, realistic ones get buried in an avalanche of "Make X theme" or "Make X Theme Again" and all sorts of other nonsense that Lego won't pay attention to.

Done the survey and added EuroBricks & TechnicBricks as frequently visited websites.

And the question if TLG should focus more on adults gives good hope in TLG releasing more complex sets 8-)

I added an option to bring back alternate models on the main sets. They used to provide me with endless inspiration as a kid.

And now, I hope to wake up tomorrow and find a new lego store in the city as a thank for taking the survey.

I think it's great LEGO does this survey so often. I said I'd like to see further improvements in quality (I think it's been getting better recently, but there's still a way to go), and more printed parts (this is also happening, with sets like the big Buzz). I ticked the box about releasing old and rare parts again. I wonder if they could say "We'll produce more straight monorail track if so many people sign up beforehand so that we're going to sell x units", a bit like LUGbulk. This sounds sort of unlikely though, since I doubt they would produce parts in Old Grey, and compared to the rest of their business it's a tiny market they would probably not want to worry about. But we can always try and cross our two minifig fingers...

Please use this survey to tell LEGO to stop forcing independent toy stores to sell their products without making a profit! I want the cool little toy stores to continue to thrive.

I added something similar in my response because I've heard the same thing from local retailers. One carries LEGO, but when I've asked if they can order things that the big box retailers don't carry, like Road Plates, they told me they aren't allowed to order those by LEGO. Last year another set I couldn't buy anywhere was the 7239 Fire Truck. Only Toys R Us carried it, and they were always out of stock (now both Wal Mart and Target have also started to carry it, and between the three they seem to be meeting demand and it can now be found on the shelves). Another store doesn't even carry LEGO, and when I asked the explanation was, as you stated:

1.) Minimum order quantities are too high and there are restrictions (i.e. you can order Set 'A', but you must also order Set 'B').

2.) The wholesale price is too high to allow them to make any money while still competing with big box retailer prices.

3.) Limitations on what they are allowed to carry.

Clearly this wasn't always the case, because a third small toy store near my hometown carried LEGO road plates when I was a child, and in fact I found some vintage road plates there as recently as last year (this store is really out of the way), but now they can't even order the new road plates.

The closest LEGO stores are 4-5 hours away from me, which means either I can't buy some of the LEGO sets or I need to order them online and pay shipping (on top of the already high LEGO prices). It's ridiculous that LEGO wouldn't do more to encourage these small retailers, because right now their competition is (all three carry a large selection of Play Mobil now, and only 2 out of 3 carry LEGO, and in those two the LEGO section used to outshine the Play Mobil, but now LEGO has been relegated to a tiny section while Play Mobil takes up a large percentage of the stores' floor space).

I heard this too, that is why Cobi has a large foothold in North Wales, Lego just will not play fair with small retailers...

It's funny you should mention that, because my friend just started carrying Cobi in his store precisely for that reason.

It's ridiculous that LEGO wouldn't do more to encourage these small retailers, because right now their competition is (all three carry a large selection of Play Mobil now, and only 2 out of 3 carry LEGO, and in those two the LEGO section used to outshine the Play Mobil, but now LEGO has been relegated to a tiny section while Play Mobil takes up a large percentage of the stores' floor space).

Same at my friend's store. They have about three times as much PlayMobil as they do LEGO.

Edited by ciano

I added to the request list:

"More variety of historical themes (Ancient Greece, medieval Japan, Aztec, etc)"

Fingers crossed for 2012!

I added "provide us with Mythological themes, e.g. Minotaurs, Oni, Ogres, The Green Man ect."

It's funny you should mention that, because my friend just started carrying Cobi in his store precisely for that reason.

Same at my friend's store. They have about three times as much PlayMobil as they do LEGO.

Well, one shop I was in was all for Cobi, the owner was actually on the desk and we got to talking. (After all it is found to be odd when grown women are buying toys for themselves). Not only is there restrictions, they have to wait three years on a list. So rather than lose custom and money, she started stocking Cobi and demonstrating it with a small impulse set.

Done. Is it weird that I'm a teen that doesn't use any Twitter or Facebook or stuff like that?

I don't :grin:

They definitely want to know what we're doing online :blush: in other news I think I spent more than $400 on Lego this year

~Insectoid Aristocrat