Mercenary

"We were kinda cheated this year" - Discuss.

Not really, you can be excited about a theme returning but still disapointed if it doesnt match your expectations.

Personally i think there are a few good sets in the 2009 line, but overall it isnt a patch on the classic stuff.

You are right, i was a bit disapointted too, but i guess at the line was good but absolutly too short

Captain Becker

I don't think we were cheated at all. The new sets were, IMO, equal to if not better in some parts than the 1989 series. The 1989-1994 series was classic, but once 1995 hit I thought it was going downhill. Of course it was only three years of sets after 1994, but they were still mostly mediocre, no? I can't remember a single set from then other than the Red Beard Runner and the Armada Flagship, both of which I've heard alright reviews of. The 2009 pirates line was just as unforgettable- great impulses, nice cannon fighting set, a reinvention of the classic castaway's raft, a sweet island with a nice cannon boat, an excellent shipwreck, a nice soldier fort, and what I call the most unforgettable ship I've ever seen- the one I grew up with... the BB.

Well to me, the new sets would never compare the 1989 line, or 1990-1994 either....The BB is some parts look incomplete, and with only one actual Soldier set. The best set that came out in the new Pirates line would be the IFS

Well to me, the new sets would never compare the 1989 line, or 1990-1994 either....The BB is some parts look incomplete, and with only one actual Soldier set. The best set that came out in the new Pirates line would be the IFS

True. I'm guessing we both grew up in different times then- but I will still agree that the 2009 sets, while nice, are flawed.

but I will still agree that the 2009 sets, while nice, are flawed.

I think the biggest flaw was the juniorization of the Skull and Cross Bones.

The idea of making a modular fotress isn't bad if you plan on making extensions, which the Lego Company didn't do.

@ Ratshot

Yeah, the skulls and crossbones were bad. They also didn't get rid of those rotating cannons that I think plagued the SES, but the modular fortress as you said and the Cannon Battle set more than made up for it. Along with Brickbeard's Bounty.

The new Pirates had some good and bad stuff in them, but overall I didn't feel cheated. The Jolly Roger flags were ugly, but most of the minifigs had great faces, torsos and accessories. I really liked Bickbeard's Bounty, except the sails, wchich can be easily replaced with customs (which I did). The 10210 Imperial Flagship looks absolutely fantastic (I still don't own it but I will eventually). Some of the sets weren't that good (Skull Island being my least favourite), but overall it was a decent line.

Actually if I had to say we were cheated, I'd say it was because the line lasted only one year. The number of sets we got was way too small. But I think it was the policy of Lego as they are probably planning on releasing a Pirates Of The Caribbean line as we speak.

The idea of making a modular fotress isn't bad if you plan on making extensions, which the Lego Company didn't do.

I bought two of the forts, and they go together nicely. I think they meant that if you buy another one it would be a extension.

Cheated?

Not at all... Certainly the old sets will always hold a dear place in the hearts of those who were able to experience them. I had quite a few but always wanted more, and was very happy that TLG was willing to accommodate that desire with the new line. While not perfect, we had a pretty good range of sets and got some great figs out of the deal. And except for perhaps the sails and maybe some of the different colors, I think the new sets blended relatively well with the old.

Now, I should also say that I support anyone' decision to criticize the new line, with one exception-- BUY THEM, THEN CRITICIZE. Don't just look at a few pics and then bash it, without ever building it yourself or holding it in your hand. And for two reasons: 1.) Because how often have we been pleasantly surprised at sets that look bad online, but turn out to be pretty great in person, and 2.) If we ever want Lego to return to the Pirates line, we have to prove above all else that it will sell. And I think they did fairly well, right?

Will we ever see them again? I'd expect some. Why did the line stop so abruptly? POTC sequel perhaps... who knows.

1.) Because how often have we been pleasantly surprised at sets that look bad online, but turn out to be pretty great in person

Actually with the Skull Island it was the other way round... Seeing it on pictures made me think it was good, but the real thing disappointed me. But as I stated earlier, this was my least favourite of the new line and an exception of sorts. Usually what you said is true. :pir-classic:

Actually with the Skull Island it was the other way round... Seeing it on pictures made me think it was good, but the real thing disappointed me. But as I stated earlier, this was my least favourite of the new line and an exception of sorts. Usually what you said is true. :pir-classic:

Well, that one... yeah. Loot Island... It's pretty bad when half of the plastic in the box is one big piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=64649

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Loot Island, yeah... My mistake. The big island piece is just one of many things I don't like in that set, but that's not the review thread so I'll refrain myself from critisizing it yet again.

But I really liked the other "island based" sets - Soldiers' Fort and Shipwreck Hideout. So once again the overall score is on the "plus" side. :pir-classic:

Personaly, when comparing the new to the old pirates (and the castle theme is the same), I miss the big baseplates....It seems like it cost too much to do these days.

ditto

Hello all

I loved the pirate sets of the 90's they were amongst the very first sets i ever owned, but never had enough pocket money to purchase more than a few small ones. After many years I introduced my son to Lego and found out that I could finally afford it. I have all of the new sets and the Imperial Flagship which was built once and on display it will remain, MAGNIFICENT.

I remember being only 8 or 9 when I went to the local Lego Expo, I came home with the simple 6235 buried treasure.. but i was hooked. I do prefer the new colour scheme and I think it's only a sign of LEGO's continuing ability to stay relevant and continue recreating itself. Tan really does make a better representation of sand than Bright Yellow.

The 2009 sets were a little bit lack lustre but I do think if I was 9 or 10 again I wouldn't question one thing about them and would spend days and nights dreaming about owning them all. For the lucky ones that got to experience the 90's pirate theme I think the current theme does enough to reignite the flame and now I spend time day dreaming about how I can make them better.

I'm certainly spoilt now with a wife that still thinks I'm sane and a son that thinks his dad is so cool for playing LEGO with him, I just can't wait to get started on my first MOC, Brickbeards Bounty + steroids.

Please be gentle, this is my first significant post. I look forward to following the discussion and sharing my pride in the completion of Brickbeards Bounty 2.0

I was exited about the new Pirates theme when it came out. I loved the designs and everything but then saw that it wasn't REALISTIC. I expected a big Navy fort with ROCK walls, a jail, and baracs. This new one was horrible. The placement of the jail sucked! It didn't have baracs, and there was no GREY rock walls! The pieces were kinda bad with this Pirates theme also! I loved the old Pirates theme! Who thinks that this year Lego cheated us!! I really want a POTC theme! :pir_bawling:

I agree with you Mercenary. I was really pretty bummed about the 2009/2010 Pirates line(other than the Imperial Flagship that is :pir-blush: ) My biggest upset was the size of the Brickbeards Bounty. I was expecting two decks and no stupid guns on the poop deck :pir-hmpf_bad:

If you take a quick look at the Brickbeards Bounty it is a really beautifull ship, that is able to mess with the BSB. But if you look very close, you see more and more to dislike:

a) the stern castle with the cannon doesn´t look good. Without that cannon it would be a well designed one, but the cannon is a "style-killer".

b) Brickbeards Bounty has still just only half the cannons it could have. Sadly BSB is the only ship with a cannon for each "cannonhole". Even the new flagship has to switch the cannons. But fortunatly the cannons are built at wheels and not those strange "turning-disks". So you can equip BB and IF with additional cannons.

c) Masts, that are built at the hullparts do not look very much. Instead I would wish some cargo place and a deck, where the masts could be.

d) Where is the anchor?!

e) The crew is to small for a ship of that size. 6 or 7 men would have been much better

f) I do not like the design of the Rolly Roger at the sails, flags and Brickbeards hat.

But all in all it is a very nice ship, that fits to the other Lego ships. Just the crew could be a little bigger.

The rest of the 2009 Pirate Theme is good. Especially i like the printet back of the Minifigs. and some new colours. The smaller sets are allways able to mess with the small ones of the 1989 series.

Cannon Battle e.g. is a very nice small set, contains a cannon, 2 cutlasses (even only one is needed) and a gun, which is a big arsenal for just 2 Minifigs.

All in all Pirates 2009 just have one point I do not like:

Some of the faces just look strange (but some are really cool e.g. that smile of the Cannon Battle soldier).

The new Pirates are good, but the old ones are slightly better.

I am happy, that Lego gives the pirates some attention after pirates were long time released only for Lego 4+ or Duplo. Even the Flagship is the only released set in 2010 (it is amazing, and the only ship, that could dare, to mess with BSB) i hope there will be many new in 2011 or 2012.

Edited by josykay