Sign in to follow this  
Broken Bricks

Essential Parts for a Pirate MOC

So I was on Bricklink the other day trying to come up with some parts to buy so I can start MOC'ing and I found myself asking the following question:

What are the most essential parts for a Pirate MOC?

In other words, what parts do you most often use when doing Pirate MOCs?

I have never done a MOC myself, but at the top of my head, based on what I have seen here, I'll name two:

75 2X1X3 slopes - they seem to come up a lot in rock formations and landscaping

1X1 round plates - they are often used to create a cobblestone effect or add texture to walls

What other parts do you guys consider "Pirate MOC essentials" and why?

It really depends on the sort of MOC and on the techniques you are using.

For ships, many people use a lot of 'jumper plates' to make a tumblehome, for the cobblestone effect the 1x1 round plates are indeed very useful.

Plants/flowers and stuff like that are always very welcome too.

So do you have any idea of what you want to build and how? I think that will be very important for the kinds of bricks you want to buy.

Brown 1x6 and 1x4 panels are pretty usefull for boardwalks and 1x1 round bricks are good for makeing posts.

These peices i have never not used on a pirate moc.

So do you have any idea of what you want to build and how? I think that will be very important for the kinds of bricks you want to buy.

I was thinking about starting out with a few land-based MOCs, such as a fort or lighthouse, and then, once I felt more confident about my MOCing abilities, trying to build a ship.

Any recommendations are welcome. But feel free to share you personal experiences as MOC builders in what regards parts that you find very useful, that you use often, etc.

Also thanks Green Avenger for that link to the Jumper Plates. I had no idea what those were at first (I didn't know they were called that) :pir-grin:

I was thinking about starting out with a few land-based MOCs, such as a fort or lighthouse, and then, once I felt more confident about my MOCing abilities, trying to build a ship.

Any recommendations are welcome. But feel free to share you personal experiences as MOC builders in what regards parts that you find very useful, that you use often, etc.

Also thanks Green Avenger for that link to the Jumper Plates. I had no idea what those were at first (I didn't know they were called that) :pir-grin:

If your going to do land based mocs, I would reccomend getting a lot of grey 2x2x3 75o sloped peices. Also, the 1x1 round plates always give a nice cobblestone effect (like in THIS moc) , so you'll wan't a couple hundred or so of those. The window panes you see in the background of the moc are also helpful for a variety of things including ships. Here is a bricklink link

Edited by the_green_avenger

At one point last month, I sat down and went through A LOT of pirate/castle MOCs to check out what kind of bricks and pieces were used to create the kind of rocks, grass, roads, paths, trees, water (and water effects) docks, house walls, windows, doors, entrances, different roofs, strings etc. etc. etc. that I find lovely to look at.

It ended up as a loooong unreadable list of things to remember to buy on bricklink, but when I find the time, I could clean up that list (make it more readable), and post it here.

btw, it will be very expensive to just buy all of those bricks and pieces at one time, so my suggestion is to start out really small, and only buy the needed bricks for a small-scale MOC at first.

I decided to go through my own pile of LEGO first and see how many bricks I already have, that fit my criteria for MOCing bricks - so I haven't bought any from my loooooong list yet.

I usually build my MOCs after the image of 1 or more real things, to get some good detail.

Then I take stock of what I need in bricks, what I have and after that I hit Bricklink to get the missing bits.

Hope that helps?

I agree.

It is very frustrating if your BrickLink order has arrived, and you wish you had ordered that one particular essential brick as well...

Think of what you are going to build, then check what you have, and what you don't have. Then it's time to buy the parts.

Try to order as many parts as possible in one order, to save shipping costs.

Hope that helps!

I usually make up a pirate creation as I got. At least the base is made on a whim with the landscaping and such. Then I may take inventory like others have noted for building buildings and such. As far as landscaping goes whenever I make a BrickLink order I always buy loads of basic dark bley and light bley bricks. I also buy plenty of dark and light bley slopes in with different angles of rock work. If they have those and even if the don't I also try to buy dark tan (especially wedges since my quantity of dark tan is so limited) and plates in any other organic color I see such as green, tan, or brown.

Blue bricks and tiles help to.

Now that I look at it, it seems like my BrickLink orders usually consist of basic brick with regards to pirates. I guess that's because I've gotten enough of the more 'specialized' parts and minifigures from sets. At least usually that's how it goes.

I am also looking at building my first MOC (A small Fort). I have been using Digital Designer though and have found quite quickly how exspensive that is. Do many others use this? or do the majority of people use Bricklink?

I asked myself the same question. I think plates and tiles are the most important thing for "any" MOC.

I am also looking at building my first MOC (A small Fort). I have been using Digital Designer though and have found quite quickly how exspensive that is. Do many others use this? or do the majority of people use Bricklink?

I find that a lot of people use Bricklink because it's cheaper and you can buy older bricks that they don't make anymore.

Admiral Woodhouse

Its brown tiles for me, I can never seem to get enough of them these days.

Also, the sloped cheese pieces are important.