The Eye

Can u mix and dismantle your orignal LEGO sets?

I'm sorry that you don't like the topic, I was just wondering if anyone else felt this way.

When I buy a set and I lose one piece, I end up giving the set to my cousin or worse throwing it out. I have loads of other OCD-like habits. For an example, I have the Solar Sailer and I can't find a piece. Same with some castle.

I realize this is kind of a stupid topic, but people shouldn't be offended enough to post a snappy comment. I'm just a kid.

Why don´t you sell them here on EB if you have to get rid of them? :wink:

Uh-oh... not a good thing to say on here. EB is 18+, and if a TFOL wants to join, he/she is 'expected to act maturely and not tell people that he/she are underage'. I doubt anything will happen now, as you probably just forgot, but in the future, think about this and I´m sure you´ll make (and already are) a great member. :classic:

I put the Agents 8970 Robo-Attack in my 10184 Town Plan and it looks great. A massive evil robot attacking a 1950's town.

zOMG Pic plz!! :tongue:

Well, I am an odd one for sure. I mix figures. I almost never keep the set figures as they came. I have always mixed and matched any figure to create a cooler figure. I suppose it's sort of that "playing dolls" mentality some of us have (it's also my sister's favourite thing to do with Lego). I swap arms from torso to torso, I have cut and painted parts for figures (but only when I have more than three). I sometimes keep a figure for a while, until I need something off it, then it's gone. All my figure parts live in a stack of "Plas" from Ikea.

With sets however...

When I was small, I never had really big sets. Mixed boxes of bricks and hand-me downs alongside the five or so impulse sized sets I had in a year. The rare occasion when I had a huge set it was to be treasured. I would keep it on one piece for weeks and weeks, feeling bad when I took it apart. I still get that feeling with some sets but not others.

So, I don't mind super-altering figures but still get that twinge of guilt? whenever I take my largest sets apart. Also now I am an AFOL, taking a set apart or a MOC fills me with sorting related dread. :tongue:

I feel bad about every bought set that I use for parts. Why do I buy sets you could ask I suppose? Well, I do like to know that in theory I can restore the sets and rebuild, plus certain sets I get for minifigs and parts where bricklinking for them would not be good value (considering you can sometimes get a set for less than bricklinking rare figs and parts in that set). I keep some sets apart, even if I don't mind modifying them a bit - examples are Town Plan, Medieval Marketplace, modular buildings, holiday train, Emerald Night. I'll probably try and rebuild all my Harry Potter sets at some time, especially if I get the new ones, but it's a tall order as quite a few parts would be used in current MOCs (yes I have problems breaking up MOCs too - in fact I've not broken up many since starting into AFOLdom).

I do chop and change minifigs, but with a certain reluctance. I've finally accommodated my reserve in this manner by keeping all my minifigs stored at first in their original state, until I decide to use part of them or modify them. I keep few "minifig parts" at anytime, and unlike one of my brothers, I don't from time to time sit down and mix-n-match *all* my minifigs or any new ones I get. So new minifigs tend to stay as is for a least a month or two this way. Plus any of my own minifig creations also get to stay as is until needed - I have reused minifigs created for one MOC in another without changing them. I keep those minifigs of mine that are not on display loose in trays rather than tubs, so I can see at a glance what choices I have when I need minifigs for a scene.

Edited by brickzone

The thought of not being able to bring myself to take apart figures made me laugh out loud. It's a construction toy. In my view it is supposed to be taken apart and built into something else. I rarely build the sets I buy in the first place. I part out most of them straight from the box. I sometimes do feel a twinge of sadness when I take the sets that I do built apart (cafe corner, for instance), but this is usually forgotten once I get my hands on the parts and make something myself.

Of course, everybody is free to enjoy their hobby the way see fit. I also know people who rarely build things, but who mainly enjoy the process of sorting the parts. I'm not kidding! This tread just goes to show that you get LEGO fans in all sorts :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ralph

The thought of not being able to bring myself to take apart figures made me laugh out loud.

That, and Sandy's words, reflect how I feel.

There are, however, people who just tend to see "order" as something completely different and can't bring themselves to dismantle a set, let alone use the minifigs from it for something different. While I don't see it as anything logical, I understand that on a certain emotional/ psychological level that's the way the certain person perceives their surroundings.

So - on to your problem, The Eye - you're not "being purist", you're just being o-c, as you said yourself, and you're having trouble letting go - which would be harmless if it's only applied to LEGO in your life, but in other areas it might be detrimental. My advice: leave those bricks alone and go mountain hiking, it could do you a world of good :wink:

I don't have any problem with breaking up sets and mixing parts, I usually build a set only once for fun then it all goes into the Great Vortex Of MOC Potential. But I rarely mix minifig parts, for some reason I like to keep them as is to remind me of the sets they originally came with. I do remember though of modding some of my early astronauts with torso stickers from my 6000 Idea Book (back when I was younger!) when their Space logo faded away.

When I buy a set and I lose one piece, I end up giving the set to my cousin or worse throwing it out.

I don't understand why you would throw a set out because you a missing one piece. There is really no reason for it thanks to sites like Bricklink.

Just curious, but how many sets have you thrown out? I will gladly send you my address and pay for shipping if you are parting with any more.

I really can't wrap my head around this..... :hmpf:

As for the purist thing, I have a few sets that I have not mixed with my collection, 5571 being one and 10000 being another, but that is because I cherish those sets alot. Maybe becuase they were hard to get, I don't know. I just like them complete.

For the minifigs, the fun part is mixing them around, making different characters that you know would never come in a regular set.

I think the whole fun is digging into a giant pile of Lego and not knowing what you are going to find. That is the joy in the toy!

Have we had an example of Lego purism yet? I am sure there are several threads about it and your degree of purism but I'll post a quick explanation:

A purist can exist to several degrees, you have the total purist who will not do anything to their Lego, no additonal string, paper, fabric, elastic or stickers and no modification of parts. You have a slight purist who will use their own fabric, paper, string and elastic and stickers but will not modify any of their Lego. You have a modder who will cut, paint and sticker as they see fit. There are all sorts variations ranging from brick colours (old or new grey?) to use of even official stickers on sets. Then there are heathens like me who do all of it and like to play with brick based construction toys that arent lego :devil: .

"Purism" as the first post sees it is merely a set collector, with some peculiar hang-ups and who hasn't encountered Bricklink yet.

Oh, I must add (on topic) that I do feel bad about taking a super awesome set or MOC apart. If it breaks then beyond simple repair *shrug* and sort but for some I prefer to keep together as they are just so cool.

I have a few sets which for some reason have meaning for me, which I built when I bought them and I cant see me dismantling anytime soon. The majority being the City construction sets from last year, im not sure if its because these sets turned me into a AFOL or if I really like them for what they are, but these are cherished in an irrational way. I have also the same feelings for Shangai Chase and Race for the Stolen Treasure, from the Indy line I just love the way they look.

But everything else is parted out to my obsessive compulsive sorting system to be used for (generally unfinished) MOC. I often buy sets and not build them, viewing them as pieces, some sets I build 75% to expierence what the build looks like and then part them out, and others I build just to enjoy the process of following instructions, and then immediatly dismantle them. I value BrickLink, not just for the choice and availabilty, but also because your order comes ready sorted! Its great to open a parcel and all the parts have been segregated into relevant catagories, so much quicker to organise them. I have the same attitude to MiniFigs, they are just the raw materials for my 'playing with dolls' time!

This reminds me of when my sisters first child had proper Lego (well before I was an AFOL). She is very organised, and at the start she dictated that sets can not be mixed up, each one was stored unbuilt seperatly, and play involved building them. It took a lot of persussion for her to accept that the point of Lego (she never played with it) for a child is to have lots of sets all mixed up in a random box, with the aim of making your own creations.

For some of you whom are aware of my stupid habit (buying multiples), is because when I was a child, I had a bad experience. I love to MOCs, and play around with my Classic Town sets, and tends to tear them apart and build or integrate into other funny little creations. Yes, it promotes building, but for my case, doing this sort of stunts without a backup made it a one way journey for most of my Classic Town sets.

I can understand that now as an adult you wish you had your childhood sets complete, but if you consider the enjoyment and play that you had as a child mixing them all up, is it such a problem to obtain the sets again now? Those years as a child playing with Lego are priceless, we can never 'buy' that time again, although we can buy the sets again if we wish.

I feel so 'normal' after reading this thread :laugh:

I buy most sets for the set and not for the bricks and I make sure I keep the bricks that belong to the set with the set. Also, my childhood collection is kept totally separate from my AFOL collection. And I only have 'new' bricks in my bulk supply (mainly from sets bought for parts, usually at a discount).

YES, that's me too. Right on the nose.

My advice: leave those bricks alone and go mountain hiking, it could do you a world of good :wink:

And what's that supposed to mean?

And what's that supposed to mean?

I think he means that if you're really so obsessed you throw entire LEGO sets into the trashbin just because they're missing a piece, you really should get a new hobby. :sceptic:

It's a construction toy, it's supposed to be taken apart and built again, and in the process, a piece or two might go missing. That's just how it is, and if you can't handle that, better leave LEGO alone.

LEGO is a precious hobby for most of us, both in monetary value and emotionally, so having people treat it like trash gets angry reactions.

I think he means that if you're really so obsessed you throw entire LEGO sets into the trashbin just because they're missing a piece, you really should get a new hobby. :sceptic:

It's a construction toy, it's supposed to be taken apart and built again, and in the process, a piece or two might go missing. That's just how it is, and if you can't handle that, better leave LEGO alone.

LEGO is a precious hobby for most of us, both in monetary value and emotionally, so having people treat it like trash gets angry reactions.

I guess you're right, it's an obsession. But I still love it like everyone else on EB.

TBH, I kind of have a mental problem (which I won't elaborate on) and one of the extra issues my dad told me about is OCD. I use LEGO as healing, as I stopped the rest of my life almost entirely once things went bad. I use it because it calms me down, ironically, it just seems to make it worse.

Maybe I should take a break or calm down or something. I hope I didn't offend anyone, I'm just trying to be a good member.

Just remember, if a part is missing you can get it on Bricklink.

I get all OCD-ish when people mix my minifig parts wrongly in the storage boxes (" That is a fleshtone head!!! It goes in the fleshtone box not the yellow one!!!" "That is Castle armour! It doesn't go with police torsos!!!") :tongue:

Have we had an example of Lego purism yet? I am sure there are several threads about it and your degree of purism but I'll post a quick explanation:

A purist can exist to several degrees, you have the total purist who will not do anything to their Lego, no additonal string, paper, fabric, elastic or stickers and no modification of parts. You have a slight purist who will use their own fabric, paper, string and elastic and stickers but will not modify any of their Lego. You have a modder who will cut, paint and sticker as they see fit. There are all sorts variations ranging from brick colours (old or new grey?) to use of even official stickers on sets. Then there are heathens like me who do all of it and like to play with brick based construction toys that arent lego :devil: .

"Purism" as the first post sees it is merely a set collector, with some peculiar hang-ups and who hasn't encountered Bricklink yet.

Oh, I must add (on topic) that I do feel bad about taking a super awesome set or MOC apart. If it breaks then beyond simple repair *shrug* and sort but for some I prefer to keep together as they are just so cool.

Exactly.

I think I have my answer... which is obvious. Don't throw out LEGO, stop worrying so much about a fun hobby, and most importantly, if LEGO doesn't work out for you, try something else.

I want to apologize to Sandy, along with some other people, for offending them with my throwing out of LEGO bricks. It won't happen again, I'm planning on buying a plastic box to put all of my loose bricks in.

I hope I can make up for my stupid topic and I can get back to being a good member.

Please close.