Brickthing

Bionicle Prototypes

I love the Mistika claws. They're much more versatile than the Nuparu claws, IMO.

-Mesonak

The Nuparu claws are a lot more useful for some things... for instance, as armor accents like on Icarax or Lesovikk. Of course, Brickeens's winning Certavus MOC showed that Mistika claws can also be used as armor accents.

The Nuparu claws are a lot more useful for some things... for instance, as armor accents like on Icarax or Lesovikk. Of course, Brickeens's winning Certavus MOC showed that Mistika claws can also be used as armor accents.

Fair enough.

-Mesonak

Revival? Sorry. :grin: I need some answers, I found this on brickshelf. I thought all copper masks were powerless. Could this be prototype promotional art? :oh:

Yeah, they're powerless. But that doesn't sound as good as "SPECIAL MASK WITH SPECIAL POWERS", so they probably used that instead.

Yeah, they're powerless. But that doesn't sound as good as "SPECIAL MASK WITH SPECIAL POWERS", so they probably used that instead.
Oh, I see. False advertising. :P

Oh, I see. False advertising. :P

No, originally they were going to be very powerful. I've seen it mentioned multiple places (including the little certificate thingy that came with the original copper Huna and Komau at LEGOLAND parks in some countries, as seen here). Not sure when or why the story role changed, but the original plans for the masks snuck into a few places.

8758.jpg

I would buy this just for this cute Mini Keetongu!

Did anyone think of the mini Metalbeard from the Sea Cow when they saw this?

Oh hey a revival.

Hey, does anyone have the picture of the prototype Stars? I used to have it from a magazine contest, but now I can't find it.

Which prototypes are you referring to, perchance? Were they different from the final versions to any significant degree or merely slightly unfinished pictures from a catalog?

If it's the latter, I can probably track it down. If it's the former, I have no clue. :P

@Mesonak

It was a sort of set line up, but with some subtle differences e.g. Nektan with Vezok's weapon, Tahu with different shield.

No, originally they were going to be very powerful. I've seen it mentioned multiple places (including the little certificate thingy that came with the original copper Huna and Komau at LEGOLAND parks in some countries, as seen here). Not sure when or why the story role changed, but the original plans for the masks snuck into a few places.

I recall that as well, but they were most likely replaced by the golden masks...

@Mesonak

It was a sort of set line up, but with some subtle differences e.g. Nektan with Vezok's weapon, Tahu with different shield.

bionicle_stars.jpg

It's kinda small, but it's the only one I could find, lol.

Edited by Mesonak

There were also prototypes of the Mistika that were said to be closer to the 2002 originals, but they may have remained only viewable to those inside the LEGO company, or something.

That sounds a bit like a rumor created by someone hopeful that there were 'closer' versions somewhere.

@Mesonak

YES! That's it, right there! Note the Vezok weapon and Kohrak shield. I just noticed the red eyes on Gresh, as well. Thanks, Mesonak.

No problem; the differences are quite intriguing. I remember there was a two-page spread from a magazine showing the prototype forms of the Stars in a set-by-set format (nothing crazily different, but still cool to have). I think Brickthing found it post-release, yet my attempts to track it down have proved unsuccessful because I can't find it in the BIONICLE 2010 topic and I don't know where else to look for it. XD I know I'm not crazy, though.

I remember there was a two-page spread from a magazine showing the prototype forms of the Stars in a set-by-set format (nothing crazily different, but still cool to have).

These page are from a retailer catalogue, I saw them in a local toy store back in September 2009 (the lady even told me that it would be BIONICLE's last wave, and I didn't believe her :laugh: ). Beside the characters, the canisters were slightly different, they all had a golden or yellow lid.

Edited by Leewan