Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint_M

What Books do you like?

Ok, so plenty of stuff to read. I just went to a comic con. I also have the brand new Discworld novel Unseen Academicals, with added freebie goodness. :classic: the MOCing may take a back seat to hours of reading.

I forgot to say it here. :blush:

A while back, I read Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

This book is a classic, and it'll never get old.

Just don't read it if you can't read small print. :grin:

I'm also waiting for the sequel, The lost World, to arrive from Amazon.

But it's been, what, three weeks now? :hmpf_bad:

I guess that's what you get for ordering a book for a penny. :laugh:

Oh yeah, Jurassic Park rocks!

I loved it so much, it's just a thrilling story and very well told.

My favourite books are distopian novels (1984, braven new world, etc.) and the more serious animal stories like Hunter's Moon and Tailchaser's song (my all-time favourite book). I liked watership down and animals from farthing wood as well.

I'm going to be an anti-geek here and tell what I've been reading. I generally dislike any genre fiction. When I want genre, I like it in two hour movie form. Reading is a deeper concentration for me.

Anyway, I'm half through the biography of Charles Shulz, Shultz by David Michaelis (kind of geeky, I guess). And in the last few weeks, I finished The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond, about the evolutionary differences between chimpanzees and humans, and for fiction, Breakfast of Champions, by Kurt Vonnegut, which had been on my 'to do' list for years (it's freaking amazing). The last fiction before that was Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. It's a deep fiction that abuses history, kind of what people thought The DaVinci Code was, except it doesn't read like a novelization of a movie.

Books are great. This is the first time I've let them mingle with my Lego though :tongue:

My dream is to have the classic room lined with books...

Us too! We want a room lined with bookshelves filled with all sorts of books. I want 2 big leather chairs in the middle of the room so we can have comfy places to sit and read. I'd really like a library like the one on Beauty and the Beast (Disney Version), but that probably won't ever be possible. :classic:

My favorite author is Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. I read Slaughterhouse Five in high school and haven't looked back. He has an incredible book of short stories called Welcome to the Monkey House that I sincerely love. I also like Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. I also love Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot and found reading it to be a profound experience. I really liked the insightful novel The Giver by Lois Lowery. I enjoy Edgar Allen Poe, William Shakespeare, Ray Bradbury, Ernest Hemingway (mainly his short stories) and Douglas Adams. There are just too many to name that I love. I read the Harry Potter books until they started making movies out of them. After the first movie, it ruined my reading experience. I am also a fan of classic European poetry, fairy tales, and short stories of any kind.

My favorite author is Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. I read Slaughterhouse Five in high school and haven't looked back.

I liked Slaughterhouse Five a lot too, though I just read it a few years back. Vonnegut is really interesting.

I liked Waiting For Godot, and Rosencrantz... when I read them, but I think I like their concept more than I liked reading them. I won't be reading them again anytime soon. :laugh:

I managed to find The Lost World(By Michael Crichton, not Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. :wink:) at my library a few days ago, very exciting book.

So in-depth in details, just like the first book! The good thing is, Micheal Crichton does that for the deaths in the book too! :sweet:

I mean, you can't have a Jurassic Park novel without people getting eaten by crazed carnivores! That would just be stupid.

I also enjoy that the storyline is almost completely different from the film version. Everything, even the characters, are different. Of course, there's still the trailer-cliff sequence in the film.

Go Tyrannosaurs! :sweet:

Just call me the resident dinosaur fanatic. :grin:

My favorite author is Stephen King and i'm currently reading "It" Its very interesting and creepy!

Edited by phillip10

Hmm, that's funny, thought I posted in this thread, but guess now. Well here's mine:

I prefer to read Sci-Fi novels, mostly those based off of the Halo and Star Wars Universes. Halo books are probably my favorite though, the six full length novels and all the comics greatly help expand the stories told by the games. I really hope that eventually there will be novelizations of Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 3: ODST, with stories of other characters in between, having them be like The Flood.

-Prepare to Drop

I just finished Geek Love. A disturbing ficitonal tale of a Carnival family (Geek was originally a term for someone who bites the heads off of chickens) and thier messed up lives and deaths. Imagine Flannery O'Connor with an even darker worldview writing about circus freaks and you have some idea of what this book has in store for you.

Hightly Recommended!

I just finished Geek Love. A disturbing ficitonal tale of a Carnival family (Geek was originally a term for someone who bites the heads off of chickens) and thier messed up lives and deaths. Imagine Flannery O'Connor with an even darker worldview writing about circus freaks and you have some idea of what this book has in store for you.

Hightly Recommended!

I read that in high school (15 years ago :blush: ). Interesting book, Arturo was a prick :laugh:

I read that in high school (15 years ago :blush: ). Interesting book, Arturo was a prick :laugh:

Wow, I wish we'd read books like that in High School! Yes, Arturo was definitely a prick!

Wow, I wish we'd read books like that in High School! Yes, Arturo was definitely a prick!

In high school, not for high school :laugh:

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series

C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series

Joseph Heller's Catch-22

Robert Massie's Dreadnought & Castles of Steel

Frank Herbert's Dune series (Dune is my favorite)

Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October

Joe Buff's submarine techno-thriller series

I've also amassed a decent collection of ship & aircraft reference books - good material for MOC ideas.

Don't get me started on my reading backlog...

I've been reading a lot of 50s SF and books of collected Pre-Star Wars SF artwork (for the books covers of SF books) thus all of my MOCing of late has been based in space and I have been writing a guide to my galaxy in a similar tone to the TTA books and Galactic Encounter books (same writer, y'see). I just love those books.

DSC02757sm.JPGDSC02759sm.JPG

I'd say that there's about 1 and a half times as many books as that dispersed throughout my house. Sadly, without as many expensive and uber-cool lego exclusives scattered among them. And... OMG MY DAD HAS THAT KERMIT PUPPET!!!!!!! (the muppets rule)

As for my favorite books, I was basically reading down Peppermint M's list and going "yep... yep... yep...". I've read about seventeen of Pratchett's novels in the past few months.

As for things that weren't on her list, I enjoy the following...

Harry Potter (fer shure, read my signature)

Quirk Classics (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies inspired one of my MOCs)

Ursula K. Leguinn's Earthsea trilogy

Lloyd Alexander's The Black Cauldron

Candlewick Press' extraordinary 'Ology series

Stephen Hunt's The Court of the Air (it was my introduction to Steampunk)

Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451

Star Wars Fiction - except the parts after Mara Jade dies and everything just gets all sucky again for the characters

Star Trek fiction

James Rollins' technothrillers

MY BOOK!

And as for non-fiction, I'm a sucker for anything that involves the paranormal. I also greatly enjoyed Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe, which was an excellent and highly accesible overview of modern physics, as well as a great introduction to the concepts of string theory.

Edited by Tereglith

Shannara Series by Terry Brooks, he is the best since Tolkien.

The Lord of the Rings

Discworld Series by Sir Terry Pratchett

Harry Potter Series

Varoius Star Wars Novels

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Series By Douglas Adams