Erdbeereis

Review: Gold Minifig Keychain

It's time for a quick review of the new LEGO S@H promo item, the gold minifig keychain!

You can get it for spending at least $75 in the LEGO Shop.

The figure is really lovely. It is extremely shiny, and because there are no designs on the legs and torso, the chrome gold really stands out. It would have been nice if the hands were chrome as well, and I really don't know why TLG didn't bother chroming them since the torso is chrome....

Anyway, now to some pictures!

You can actually see light reflecting off. :laugh:

3682111122_deb7526b30_o.jpg[

3682111202_f57aacc695_o.jpg

3681297079_100dd00411_o.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this mini-review. :wink:

If the promo had been anything Star Wars I would just die, considering I made a HUGE order two days before the promo came to the U.S. :tongue:

Thanks for the review!

It looks great .

I'll get mine soon after i ordered the new Indy sets . Yay.

Shiney shine! :wub:

I can't help but wish it was just an ordinary fig done with that lovely finish. A chrome keychain doesn't seem practical considering how much wear and tear they go through on a day to day basis. I had a Catwoman keyring and she looked like a $10 truck-stop hooker after a few weeks, I can't imagine how scratched a Chromie would become in that time.

Thanks for the review, Erds!

Mmmm... it looks nice. I agree that a "normal" minifig would be nicer though. I can't wait for mine to arrive, and due to this promo and the Duplo sets on sale (suitable sets for presents) I put in an order even though it's less than a month since my last (and we have shipping of €15 here for orders over €70 - ouchie!).

Can't miss out on the "ooohh, shiny"...

Thanks for the review, Erdbeereis!

It looks really shiny and great, even if it is plain.

I might be able to get one. :classic:

What did you buy to get yours? :tongue:

By the way, does it have the same chroming problems as the chrome stormie (some unchromed parts near the arm sockets and stuff)?

It would have been nice if the hands were chrome as well, and I really don't know why TLG didn't bother chroming them since the torso is chrome....
That's probably because if the hands were chromed, the chrome would flake off over time from having items attached and taken off multiple times. :wink:

Shiney shine! :wub:

I can't help but wish it was just an ordinary fig done with that lovely finish. A chrome keychain doesn't seem practical considering how much wear and tear they go through on a day to day basis. I had a Catwoman keyring and she looked like a $10 truck-stop hooker after a few weeks, I can't imagine how scratched a Chromie would become in that time.

Thanks for the review, Erds!

I'm just keeping in a safe place. I don't have any keys to use it on anyway. :tongue:

ILikePi, the chroming all looks really good. I didn't notice any un-chromed parts.

It would get wrecked pretty quickly if you actually used it on your keys.

That's just what I wanted to ask.

So you're saying actually attach it you your keys would be a bad idea ? :sceptic:

I've gotten LEGO keychains in the past, and if you actually use them on your keys, it ends up looking like a horror show, :grin: My father has a LEGO soccer keychain, and it's facial features are all worn off, the legs are missing and it generally looks like it's been run over by a semi-truck.

@Samthelegoman:

I'm pretty sure you can't just buy it for $5, as it's a promotional item. It just says that the value is $5, not that you can buy it for that price.

It looks great .

I'll get mine soon after i ordered the new Indy sets . Yay.

That is how I got mine. I want a Indy promo! What color are the hands? They look tan or pearl gold. Good review. It will look nice to my gold brick keychain I got last year for the 75 dollar promo. :sweet: Why couldn't you chrome the hands! Darn you Lego!

@Samthelegoman:

I'm pretty sure you can't just buy it for $5, as it's a promotional item. It just says that the value is $5, not that you can buy it for that price.

What a rip!

So do you get this thing with any S@H order over $75?

They really should have made it a normal minifig. It would make a perfect statue. Is there any simple way to remove the keychain from it?

I got a fireman keychain a while ago for free, but haven't used it for anything. My keys are too bulky and numerous as it is, and I don't want to add more stuff to them that I would have to carry around. On the other hand, the keychain part makes it useless as an actual minifig for use in MOCs.

Edited by CP5670

So do you get this thing with any S@H order over $75?

They really should have made it a normal minifig. It would make a perfect statue. Is there any simple way to remove the keychain from it?

Yes. Until July 31st or until supplies run out.

I believe someone posted a tutorial on how to remove keychain parts at some point, but I'm not sure where it is located... But the parts are still glued even if you do get it off. But I suppose you could use it as is, for a statue like you said. :classic:

I went to my local LEGO store and used their order-in-store service to put in an order for a bunch of sets. I get free shipping, a golden keychain and stamps on my loyalty card! :grin: I didn't know this service existed until yesterday, but it was super easy and awesome.

Here's a tutorial on removing the keychain parts. Even if you can't get the screw out, certain helmets/hats can still fit on top to cover it up.

Edited by fallentomato

It looks like that guy pulled on it and the metal loop just broke off? :wacko: I would have thought that needed some kind of metal saw. Maybe I'll try doing that on this fireman.

I can probably live with the screw head. It's the chain that I want to remove. You can't really have a minifig wandering around your city with a long chain dangling from their head. :tongue:

Update: I just tried it out and a metal loop did break, but it was the one on the other side. However, I used a wire cutter instead and after a few minutes of work I was able to break the loop on the minifig head. I can finally use this fireman for something now. :thumbup:

Edited by CP5670

removing the chain by the described technic will wear the minifig down very quickly. remember than you need a lot of grip on the minifig while you cut the metal. besides that, chrome wears down with heat and time anyway. anyone with the western sets from 10-20 years ago will tell you the chrome on the trumpet looks very patchy...

nice while it lasted but definitely not a keeper. imo of course :sadnew:

removing the chain by the described technic will wear the minifig down very quickly. remember than you need a lot of grip on the minifig while you cut the metal. besides that, chrome wears down with heat and time anyway. anyone with the western sets from 10-20 years ago will tell you the chrome on the trumpet looks very patchy...

I think what I did was better for this reason, although more time consuming. I didn't need to touch the minifig at all while cutting the ring. On the other hand, it's not so easy to cut the pinhole on the minifig and removing it would leave a big hole there anyway. I just left it there on that fireman.

The flaky chrome is simply a matter of prolonged use rather than heat or time. Some more details on it are here.

It seems to be a details for most of people, but on my part, I think the tan hands make the overall minifig ugly. If the hands were gold as well, or if the face was tan meaning that the minifig wore a golden suit, I would like the idea.

Actually I made an order on S@H a couple of days ago and I knew that I could get this minifig for free, but I used another promo code to get a free shadow trooper keychain instead (this code expires in a few days). It's really a pity that the hands are not gold, but I don't collect items I find ugly.

BTW, this keychain is listed in the S@H section but there is no "Add to Cart" button, so you can't get it without a $75 order.

You may buy the golden brick instead.

I see that yours has a tan inside of one leg as well. Probably because of the chroming method?
Ummmm, not sure I see what you mean. :wacko: As far as I know, it's chromed completely but for the hands.