Navy Trooper Fenson

Misprints and Other LEGO Production Oddities

This is my No Face Fox, which I found in the Elves Bakery set. I actually rather like it. It does have the back/tail printing, so it's not completely blank. I took a picture of the fox with the face printing next to it for comparison.

Neat find. :classic:

Last week I bought a Batman keychain without his underpants on Shopping@Home. :laugh:

batmanonderbroek.jpg

Edited by Graaf

Not sure if this is a misprint since it came in a large order on BrickLink, but I can't imagine the seller would remove the paint. It wouldn't really add any value and in fact would detract. Luckily he sent it as an extra so I have no issues with it. It's the LotR/Hobbit orc hair piece with the paint missing from the ears:

20150624_160509.jpg

Edited by Deathleech

I have the spelling error delorean piece.

I have the spelling error delorean piece.

Not really a rare one I guess, like all those who bought the set in the first batch ;)

By the way, is there a reliable way to order the corrected part via the site or e-mail? To avoid getting the same misprinted part (what I'm afraid to get if I just use the form asking to replace the part by the same one)

I happen to have the head off of Professor Archibald Hale, 3626bpb0531, Minifig, Head Glasses with Brown Sideburns, Moustache and White Pupils Pattern, but with the hair in dark orange instead of brown. It's also somewhat worn, with small portions of the glasses being heavily worn. I didn't realize it was a misprint until I ordered one to replace it that wasn't so worn, but then I realized it when the replacement was brown. (I got lucky on the first one I ordered.) Is this a common misprint, or did I get lucky, or is it a result of wear, and possibly fading from sun exposure? If it is a common misprint, then I'm hoping to get another one without the wear. In any case, he's now wearing a dark bluish gray suit (crack along one side) and some dark orange hair, and makes an ideal postmaster.

I have some Bionicle Metru eye-stalks with extra globs of plastic molded near the axle-hole. Only thee light-green ones have this - all of the red ones are fine.

I have a couple of unique oddities myself. First one is this Gresh mask:

mismoulded_gresh_mask.jpg

The eyeholes have excess plastic around them. I even went as far as asking other serious Bionicle collectors on BZPower and nobody had seen a misprint quite like it. General consensus is that some of the plastic probably seeped out while in the mould, resulting in the excess plastic.

I also have this minifig hand:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TheOneVeyronian/Parts/dscn6198.jpg (linking because it's a bit too wide)

It came from a sealed TC-4 polybag like that (it's definitely not a chew mark), but not quite sure how it turned out like that. Maybe the corner got compressed while it was partially molten? The photo doesn't really show the flaw off all too well, but there is a groove on both sides of the mismoulded area. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Not really a rare one I guess, like all those who bought the set in the first batch ;)

By the way, is there a reliable way to order the corrected part via the site or e-mail? To avoid getting the same misprinted part (what I'm afraid to get if I just use the form asking to replace the part by the same one)

Its not rare but still misprinted:) i don't mind about a new one. Maybe the misprinted one will be replaced in almost every set and mine will be rare and i can sell my delorean for a high prize, i dont expect that to happen but would be fun. I like things that are 'not' good. Gives me the feeling that i was 'lucky'.

Misprints are rarely valuable in LEGO, unless they serve a purpose. A face that has a different expression would be considered potentially useful, a tile printed on the wrong side is basically useless outside of a bit of curiosity factor, so you can't really expect any value.

I can see why he'd ask - it's a collecting phenomenon I've seen with other lines such as Transformers. Things such as particularly outstanding misprints, or miscarded toys, get labeled "RARE FACTORY ERROR" and sell for crazy prices.

In my 15 years of building with Lego I never had a missing piece. The only oddity was a technic piece from the Unimog which was a little bit mis-molded but still useable. :)

I got that same mismolded piece in a Monster Fighters set, but it was red. I got a replacement piece from LEGO, but I don't remember where I put that funky one...

how can this even happen? Aren't those parts made in 1 mold?
I would imagine mould is being assembled out of couple of pieces. And it could be that left and right sides are identical externally, so, let's say, two left sides were used from both sides of the mould.

I think my Double Decker Couch Emmett has a minor misprint on his torso on the back. Ill try to get a photo of it up later. When my head isn't hurting so much.

The logo on these pieces is cockeyed. The logo seems to be rotated by the same angle, but counterclockwise for the one on the right while clockwise for the two in the middle. The one on the far left is a normal brick for reference. All the bricks are 2x2 inverted slopes.

img_2854.jpg

Edited by Sid Sidious