darkrebellion

Dark Age nearer than I think?

Wow! What a long time since I posted my last topic here in Eurobricks and sadly this new one is about a sad issue. The thing is that I feel I am near to my first Dark Age but I simply don

Edited by darkrebellion

I know what you're talking about. I've been busy with school and other things like that, with little time for Lego at all. I was recently inspired to build again by a competition on FBTB, which was fun and gave me a few ideas for future MOCs too. Maybe if you were to enter some competitions it might get you back into the spirit?

~Peace

I have all the Classic Space LEGO I set out to collect; obtaining missing pieces and replacing broken ones from sets I've had since the early to mid 1980s. After that I felt more of less complete and satisfied with my LEGO collection.

Sure, I'd like to have the Classic Castle sets and fix up the spotty collection of 1980s Town sets I also have, but it just doesn't seem as fun when I'm not playing with them like I used to as a child. They look nice all built and on display, but I enjoyed interacting with them and I, um, can't really do that as an adult :cry_sad:

My favourite LEGO was the 970 lighting set from 1978. I had many hours making all sorts of models and houses that used those wonderful lights. I only have a couple of original bulb bricks left, and not much wiring, but they bring back good memories. I always wanted the lighting from the train sets I saw in catalogues but never got them.

My brother is always telling me to "Put that Space LEGO away!" I think he's embarrassed by it :sadnew:

I miss my LEGO...

Embrace the dark side.. let your emotions free. feel the force..

All things in life has its time, Youth is over fast.. turn of the PS3, drop the brick's and go for the chick's

The plastic will wait for you but the youth years will fade away.

Its more fun to remember the time You woke up beside a nude miss hawaiian tropic wearing only ski googles and a sixpack cardboard box in a boat house, than the time You killed the final boss in FFXIIII or speedbuilt the UCS MF under 2.3 hrs.

;-)

See You In a few Years!

I must buy Lego beacuse you like not because you have the feeling you must. If you lose intrest, so be it. It's a good time to shift, what did you bought but actually never liked and what will you regret selling later on. When I almost stopped collecting GIJoe's I sold a bunch of them, mostly the figures were I had no child memories from and I reduced my army a litle bit. Years later I still don't regret it. I still have lot's of Joe's, but only cool ones now and I was able to buy lots of Lego.

Hope this helps. Heve fun with your PS3

Lego has been around for 50+ years.

PS3? What, 3yrs?

Lego can be resold for close to (if not more than...) buying price. [Certain restrictions apply.]

Games can be sold or traded in for only a fraction of buying price (50% money or credit if you extremely lucky...).

New sets become discounted from time-to-time.

Games become discounted only after a new game comes out.

To call spending more time doing other things than building with your LEGO a 'dark age' seems a bit dramatic to me. If what you are having is a dark age, I would have had dozens of dark ages in the last 30 years.

I'll list a few criteria that I think are necessary to call a period of your life a LEGO dark age:

1) You give up buying and building for at least a few years

2) All the LEGO that you do have is stored away, sold or donated to a relative

3) After a few years you rediscover the fun of LEGO, and start buying or building again. If your old collection is sitting in the attic, you dig it out. IMO it's not a proper dark age unless there is light at the other end of the tunnel!

I call these the 3 d's, for duration, disposal and discovery :tongue:

In what you write none of these criteria is met. The most important thing is that you do things you like to do, whether that is building with LEGO, playing a game on your PS3 or snogging your GF (for those of you objecting to the use of the word snogging, I have to point out that this forum is supposed to be 18+).

Cheers,

Ralph

LEGO isn't for everybody.

If you feel that you've outgrown the hobby, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day, YOU have to be the one who wants to participate in this hobby. There is no point asking others for reasons to continue with LEGO. If at some point in your life you feel like giving LEGO another go, then that's wonderful. If not; that's ok too :classic: .

One suggestion though; don't sell your current collection. Many fans do this only to regret it many years later. That which was easily purchased new is often hard to come buy and five times as expensive the second time around. Yearning for that favourite set that you sold off at a garage sale only to find out that it goes for $200-400 on ebay is not a happy experience.

Good luck on whatever you decide. I'm sure you'll always be welcome here should your interest in LEGO be rekindled.

I've been there several times just stopped buying and building for months, and even years, but i always come back to it because it's fun. My mom tells me to grow up jokingly but I love legos and it's a passion i am happy to say is already so very well developed in my daughter. Go about your dark age, because more often then not eventually you will come back around and who knows when you do there may even be cooler things out there in the legoverse then there is now. I am kind of bummed that I missed out on all the Exoforce stuff

drop the brick's and go for the chick's

That is one of the best quotes ever.

I always find it awkward (after having dropped the bricks) to bring one of said chicks to my place--have to try to hide all the bricks beforehand :)

And mrchris, that's sad.

~M~

The most important thing is that you do things you like to do, like snogging your GF

what do making out with babes got to do with LEGO?

unless you are amking out with a lego babe, or you play with lego while you make out...

ON TOPIC:

dark ages do not matter, only that you come back at the end.

Spaced_out

Well dude, I dunno! I'm sure you're not going into a dark ages, as I often have a day or two when I just leave the lego, do something else, or just completely lose interest for 2 days or so :grin: I also have periods when I think lego really isn't that special, and I get uninterested. But then, that is only over a very short period of time. Maybe that's what you're going into, a mini-dark ages? A 2 days that you think might turn into a dark age, but really you've just lost interest for a couple of days?

It depends, how long have you had this PS3? :sceptic:

Oh, and a tip: If you really do fall into a dark ages, DO NOT SELL YOUR LEGO, above all. Stow it away in a shelf somewhere in a dark end your closet, but don't sell it. You will almost certainly return to the hobby if you're an AFOL/TFOL/9-12 year old that really know what an art lego is, ya know what I mean? :tongue:

And mrchris, that's sad.

It was meant in a nice way and a do what you feels right type post... 10 years is what it took me and a few others from what i've read here.

As long as its somones own decision and not peer pressure then whatever will be, will be.

If you do decide to put away all your Lego (maybe a good idea if you plan to invite girls over), just don't sell it. Raphy is right that you will probably want it later. It is pretty normal for guys around your age to get too busy and distracted for Lego, especially with all the peer pressure not to play with a "kids' toy." I know that I would have regretted it terribly if my collection was gone when I came out of my dark age. I just wish I hadn't listened to my mom and thrown away almost all of my instructions. Now I can't remember if I had certain sets or just stared at them in the catalogue for hours.

I know what your going through, Game stations always take the time away from you, Just this past year I fell in and out of Lego for a few weeks at a time,Don't worry! Its fine if your life takes you other places.If its girls that are your problem, don't sell all your Lego, just put it in your closet or attic.I know have a girlfriend that takes time away from my hobbies,

but mine is in secret so I don't mind :grin:

Good luck! :classic:

It's not that bad.

You're just being happy with other things than Lego.

My opinion is about LEGO is:

Girlfriends are way more nicer to spend your time with than LEGO!

I try to keep a balance in buying and spending time with LEGO compared to other things in life.

So I only buy things I realy like, and only build on special occasions. ( LEGO is like art to me)

It's strange but I spend more time on Eurobricks.com than I spend on LEGO itself.

Intrests wax and wane.

A year or so ago I was way into anime, now I buy an anime magazine as it comes out (too keep an eye on Ghibli output and the mecha) but I haven't bought or planned to buy any new series. Maybe in a year or so something will come up that catches my eye and I will be hugely into anime again. Its the same for me with comics, I used to collect three or four series, now I get one and the odd book that catches my eye.

If you think you will have regrets about a dark age, put away your lego but don't give it away/sell it, or you could just keep your favourite parts/sets/MOCs. Then in a few years, months or even weeks you might have second thoughts and still have some to play with.

Most importantly of all, enjoy yourself, make sure that the dark age is your own choice, not peer/parent preassure and live with every choice you make.

(I have never seen any problem with "chicks" and bricks, but then I have been playing since I was seven and never did like "girls toys" I suppose most girls think its immature... their loss :tongue: )

what do making out with babes got to do with LEGO?

unless you are amking out with a lego babe, or you play with lego while you make out...

ON TOPIC:

dark ages do not matter, only that you come back at the end.

Spaced_out

If you quote me, quote me correctly:

"The most important thing is that you do things you like to do, whether that is building with LEGO, playing a game on your PS3 or snogging your GF."

Very much on topic.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

:look::sick:

:look::sick:

Agreed. :grin:

Anyway, Darkrebbelion, I say just live your life for now, worry about Lego stuff later.

I have a ton to say about this, but not enough time to even begin, so I won't.