Teddy

Comparing shots of the BSB SES BB

Dear all,

after reading several discussions about which ship (BSB SES BB) is the best, I decided to make some comparison photos.

< edit: Dear Admins I'm verry sorry if this will crowd in with all the other aforementioned topics.

So feel free to merge this topic to an appropriate one. >

Kind regards,

Teddy

12-01-09_1537nr2.jpg

12-01-09_1538nr2.jpg

12-01-09_1540nr2.jpg

You certainly are lucky! :pir-tongue:

Judging by the photos (and my own BSB and SES), the SES looks the longest and tallest, followed by the BSB, and then the BB - ?

However, I must say that the part selection and colour scheme of the BB are much more pleasing, despite the garish sails. It also looks to have avoided the crinkling in the front sail which comes as a result of the jib-to-stern string, although it isn't printed on both sides, unlike the other two.

I must say, that the BB is much cheaper than the other two, although it looks like it competes quite well in design terms (except the spars, crane and cannons), so it is rather tempting :pir-blush:

Thanks, Teddy :wub:

The SES and BSB look more fearsome, but the BB has a better coloursheme and nice bricks in it. Which is not surprisingly with 20 years difference.

The BB's rigging isn't that good, a strong point for the SES and BSB.

Overall I like the BSB and SES more then the BB.

That's just my opinion. :pir-blush:

Over all i love the SES and BSB, the BB looks ugly with a very simple ugly deck sails without real strings, the frontal sail holded by a ugly plastic chain and those ugly skulls on the sails the BB its terrible for me i don't like it at all i have it and i puted back inside a pan with old legos insted of showing it off on my shelf with my pirate sets. :pir-hmpf_bad: BB = ugly, BSB and SES = stunning models.

Thanks for the comparison, interesting to see photos of them side-by-side.

I have the BSB myself, and it is a beautiful ship. SES, I would like to have but it's not as delicately designed. The BB does suffer from having all four main sails the same size, the square rigging, and so on. However, the actual deck/cabin part I think holds its own against BSB. It is not only using nice colours and parts, but it is quite well designed, with a fair bit of detail.

I think Brickbeard's Bounty does phenomenally well when one considers the price. I have a catalogue for the UK from the late 80s, and it shows BSB at a price of £99.99 *back then* (that was worth a lot more then!) and I have just purchases Brickbeard's Bounty from the UK for £49.99 today in 2009, 20 years later. Lego has never been as good value, and despite some instances of corners being cut in new sets, I consider today's Lego sets to be as good as any previous Golden Era - although perhaps not in the same way (what I mean is that although new sets fail in some regards compared to old sets, it is made up for in other areas).

Perhaps most of all, I think Brickbeards Bounty is possibly the most appealling to kids. Not just today's kids - I think we would have gone for Brickbeard's Bounty if it was on offer when we were kids. It's kind of sad considering the nostalgia I have for BSB (never could afford it till I was an AFOL) but I think back then it would have suddenly looked dull if Brickbeard's Bounty had come out the following year. Now, I would think that I would have picked up on all the BB's flaws even at a younger age, but given a choice between it and BSB...

Its pretty neat to see them all lined up like that. Unfortunatley, i never bought the SES or BSB (always wanted :pir_bawling: ), but i do own the BB. after some quick alterations (second deck, second cabin beneath the first, a forecastle) it looks VERY sweet.

You can tell that lego didnt pay much attention to design on the Brickbeards Bounty. Its smaller, Less structured and has less guns and crew than the others!

Still it has useful pieces. :pir_laugh2:

I have a request, can someone make the BB with the SES sails/mast and extend it by one midsection.... :pir-wub:

I can just see it now! Its just a shame about the skulls.

Great comparison... one day I will be able to do this. just not today :pir_bawling:

Regards, Cpt. PB

Its smaller, Less structured and has less guns and crew than the others!

doesn't this just mean that Lego TLG just wants to sell it at a cheaper price point? and not less effort at designing?

so it's just less bricks in all departments - hulls, pieces, cannons, MF.

The BSB will always be the best! :pir-cry_happy:

I have a request, can someone make the BB with the SES sails/mast and extend it by one midsection.... :pir-wub:

I can just see it now! Its just a shame about the skulls.

Great comparison... one day I will be able to do this. just not today :pir_bawling:

Regards, Cpt. PB

You know what? i'll tottaly do That! :pir_laugh2:

Thanks a lot. This is just the sort of comparison photoshoot I've been waiting for for a long time.

I missed out on the BSB both times it was released and resolved to not skip the BB. I can now see that the two are pretty comparable and now I don't feel so deprived anymore.

Now hopefully these new Pirate sets will provide me with a good stand-in for the SES :pir-wink:

doesn't this just mean that Lego TLG just wants to sell it at a cheaper price point? and not less effort at designing?

so it's just less bricks in all departments - hulls, pieces, cannons, MF.

You just said it the BB is a cheap plastic toy for kids insted of a piece of art like the BSB or SES :pir-hmpf_bad:

Nice comparisson :thumbup:. I only wish there is someone with al 4 big ships (2or 3 midsections; BSB, SES, BB, and RBR). I've been meaning to build my BSB, SES and RBR side by side, but I'm just too lazy :pir-tongue: .

From the "4 big ones", I think the best is BSB, followed by SES, RBR and last place goes to BB. This is not nostalgia, I never got BSB, SES or RBR as a kid, neither do I remember drooling over them as a kid or anything (even though I did like them), I just got them half a year ago or something (didn't came out of my dark-age when BSB and RBR runner where re-released). I don't have the BB, neither do I want it, but judging from the pics it is the worst pirate ship that was made (together with crossboneclipper). I think BB would appeal most to kids, definately today, so it was a good move, but that is the same reason older people don't like it, it is too "kiddie". More so than RBR, wich also hase some "kiddieness" to it (but the skulls/swords on the sails are much better that the new hidious ones), but it is also a badass battleworn pirateship.

Wow, harsh words from some people about Brickbeard's Bounty! I think it's entirely undeserved, and certainly deserves measured criticism rather than outright derision. In fact I would go so far as to say that I perhaps consider it to get second place behind Black Seas Barracuda. There's something about the colours and style of Skull Eye Schooner that just doesn't appeal to me in the same way, although I would still put it ahead of any of the rest of the pirate ships (some of which are a horrible mess of colours and awkward angles on the deck construction).

from my view, BSB is the most beatiful pirates ship ever made by TLG.

I agree that the BSB is a work of art, but the BB is close behind. The BB is just more like the average pirate ship. I have to say that the BSB's deck looks like a bunch of plates stacked up, and it looks kind of messy. of course, i do not own it, so i could be wrong, its just my opinion. Why hasn't anybody mentioned the RBR, no one ever talks about that, there's not even a review of it! :pir-hmpf_bad:

I agree that the BSB is a work of art, but the BB is close behind. The BB is just more like the average pirate ship. I have to say that the BSB's deck looks like a bunch of plates stacked up, and it looks kind of messy. of course, i do not own it, so i could be wrong, its just my opinion. Why hasn't anybody mentioned the RBR, no one ever talks about that, there's not even a review of it! :pir-hmpf_bad:

I have BRB, SES, CP, RR, BB and i would like to see a review of the RBR :pir-classic: i agree with you some one should make a review of the RBR im buying it soon as well ... :pir-laugh:

Why hasn't anybody mentioned the RBR, no one ever talks about that, there's not even a review of it! :pir-hmpf_bad:

I mentioned it :pir-wink: . It is a good ship (not as good as BSB or SES, but still a lot better than BB).

I agree there should be a pictorial review about it (I'm a bit lazy+ my photographing "skills" kinda suck, so I would do that set justice). But there is a "box-art" topic about it or something.

Best looking:

The yellow

Best fortified:

The black sails.

Best colour scheme:

BB.

Easiest to get:

BB.

Best sails:

Yellow

Best rear:

Yellow

Best front:

Yellow

Overall best structure:

Yellow

Sorry, new to these names...

BEST:

Yellow

Edited by Specever

I once owned the BSB back before my dark ages had me sell them all off. But having purchased the BB and then seeing it in comparison to some of the ships from back in the day I think it is a pretty solid design, all in all. I stand by it, and I really enjoy a lot of the details. One thing I found interesting though as I read this forum is the fact that it seemed to be smaller than I remembered the old ships being. But now that I look at this, I realize that it's the nature of the child's memory to recall things being much larger than they were in actuality. Thanks for photographing these three great ships together!

SES is kind of ugly,but i like it

BB is really nice.

BSB is really good espesially with the hold having planks to walk over the cannons.

Edited by Broadside

Best looking:

The yellow

Best fortified:

The black sails.

Best colour scheme:

BB.

Easiest to get:

BB.

Best sails:

Yellow

Best rear:

Yellow

Best front:

Yellow

Overall best structure:

Yellow

BEST:

Yellow

Mate your point is ? :pir_wacko:

Well just to tell you the "Yellow" one is called the black seas barracuda BSB for short. And the one with the "Black Sails" Is the Skulls Eye Schooner SES for short.

Look up these names on google or anywhere and find more info about these ships because these are great ships! Hope this helps! :pir-blush: