Tim Bit

Canadian Eh?

I went to the lego store today, just looked around and bought a few things. The pick a brick wall was really basic, nothing to jump for joy for.

Thanks...that's what I wanted to know. I had heard from another AFOL who worked the Calgary opening and he said the PAB wall will not really pick up for another 3 months and that it will be pretty basic for the opening period. I have my R2 coupon with me now, in case I can make it out there...but it's not close. If I do go, I'll try and get a rough inventory of the PAB selection.

Well i drove all the way from manitoba to calgary to hit the grand opening there and i dont regret it at all. Was cool to be the second person to walk into the first lego store in canada and i only went 2 hrs early to be the second in line. But boy, was there ever a lot of people behind me

At what point did it start to get really busy, line wise? I don't care if I'm number 300 as long as I'm not 301!!

I went to the lego store today, just looked around and bought a few things. The pick a brick wall was really basic, nothing to jump for joy for. I was surprised to see the new modular building there. I plan on going again this weekend to meet up with some fellow eurobrickers, but I don't plan on getting the figures.

PAB is the main reason I'm going, I'm looking for LBG and DBG 1xX bricks - but I have never done PAB before! How does it work?

Ah looks like I'm going to be able to make it to Sherway Gardens now until Sunday! :cry_sad:

I'll still be rockin' my Lego Vadar shirt. See some of you then hopefully. :blush:

I have never done PAB before! How does it work?

You get a cup and start filling from the bins. You stuff it full and put a lid on - I find they are usually willing to help you tape it shut but it must close.

You may want to actually put bigger pieces together to maximize space usage but I usually get smaller parts so it matters less.

If they have the "bush" elements or small pine trees one or more can often be stuffed into the "stud" in the lid.

Gentle tapping can help smaller parts settle to make more room but shaking doesn't really help.

At what point did it start to get really busy, line wise? I don't care if I'm number 300 as long as I'm not 301!!

i managed to go through a couple of times. i would say that i would have wanted to show up at least an hour before it opened. with in the last 1/2 hr, it was nuts the number of people that showed up

How much are the PAB cups at the Lego Store in Toronto?

I'm pretty sure they're $10 and $20.

Remember, guys, the mall only opens at 9:30...

*FOR TTC SUBWAY USERS GOING TO THE LEGO STORE OPENING!*

Subway diversion due to switch work at Bay St. station all weekend, May 14 & May 15.

TTC.ca

You'll have to switch trains if you're travelling from east of Bay St.

Edited by Ogre

Does any one know if the TRU discount works in the stores or is it only for on line purchases. Discount is 15% on 2 sets or 25% on 3

Does any one know if the TRU discount works in the stores or is it only for on line purchases. Discount is 15% on 2 sets or 25% on 3

the discount should work in store aswell as online

So did anyone go? I thought about it a few hrs ago but couldnt get myself to wake up....I mean its just 3 minifigures so I couldn't convince myself to wake-up for it since I slept late last night.

I went yesterday, so no minifigures for me, but I did get the R2 DUPLO brick. It's a nice store, very clean. Like the Mac Store for children.

I have no idea where all those kids came from at 10:15 on a Friday morning, though. Wasn't there school?

Something strange I noticed in that Blacksmith Attack wasn't available in the store [nor is it online, for some reason] but it was quite available at the TRU next door.

I got a pack of Build-A-Figs, which was crazy-expensive, but I got three mermaid tails as legs which I've convinced myself would cost more to get elsewhere. They had the parts for three or so series 1 collectible figs [forestman, clown, magicial, possibly more] in the selection, but none of the accessories. I'm sad the zombie wasn't part of it, 'cause I woulda gotten three of them for sure.

Edited by IAmWillGibson

My brother was supposed to come along with me, but he slept in so I left late by myself. When I saw that the line to enter the store stretched all the way to the main square, I went 'Aw, hell naw' and left. I'll go back on a weekday, when it isn't as crowded.

Holy Crap...ok...I feel like a wimp...but the lineup at the Sherway opening was 3 hours long just to get INTO the store...let alone buy anything.

We did the community build of the R2-D2 and that was fun. The kids had a hoot, and we built a pile of bricks before we had to leave...but the lineup to get in was MASSIVE...and considering that the May 4th sale had all the hard to find sets available without shipping...that was a much better option.

I would have liked to have seen the PAB wall...but I'll wait until a weekday at lunch when I'm out there rather than the lunacy that was driving on a rainy Saturday afternoon. I had dreams of cups of palisade and foilage bricks...oh well...they will be mine...oh yes they will be mine...but not today.

>sigh<

No R2 brick for me. :angry:

I had an awesome time! I got there early (6:30) and went in the management doors. I was the first person, there were 5 of us at 7, and about 25 at 7:30.

By 8 the line was around the corner and by 8:30 I couldn't see the end of it!

They actually opened a half hour early which was nice of them, and let the first lot in. I grabbed the space shuttle set with the little van for $25 - I'm not keen on the set but I struggle designing cars so figured I could use it as a base, and then when I paid got a large Pick-A-Brick too. My origionally plan was to just get two PAB but was worried they wouldn't have much of what I wanted. I was wrong though!

I got the mini figures, and they gave us a free copy of Lego Universe too, which I'm going to have to try to avoid playing as I don't have the time for an online game just now. The PAB wall was fairly basic, but had some useful small plates to fill in gaps, had some 1x4 reddish brown tiles, and I got a ton of grass along with some red flowers. I also got lots of 1x4 LBG bricks, which is just what I needed for some current builds, and some 1x2 and 1x4 reddish brown bricks with the indents.

The staff were super nice, the store looked awesome, and I met some really cool people in line. I was out at a club until 3 am, so I was pretty tired, but it was well worth the sacrifice!

I got the mini figures, and they gave us a free copy of Lego Universe too, which I'm going to have to try to avoid playing as I don't have the time for an online game just now. The PAB wall was fairly basic, but had some useful small plates to fill in gaps, had some 1x4 reddish brown tiles, and I got a ton of grass along with some red flowers. I also got lots of 1x4 LBG bricks, which is just what I needed for some current builds, and some 1x2 and 1x4 reddish brown bricks with the indents.

*oh2* That was nice of them. Was it a promotion or was it just random?

*oh2* That was nice of them. Was it a promotion or was it just random?

It's a promo. I've been hearing of this since last month at Lego stores.

It's a promo. I've been hearing of this since last month at Lego stores.

I've heard the one about getting one in the summer catalogue, but never this one

I also got lots of 1x4 LBG bricks, which is just what I needed for some current builds, and some 1x2 and 1x4 reddish brown bricks with the indents.

Do you mean the pallisade bricks like for building wooden forts? Excellent. I'll definitely have to check the store out soon...who knows what I'll find by the time I get there.

Glad to hear you got in...still a 3 hour wait almost for you, even though it was before the store opened!!

Do you mean the pallisade bricks like for building wooden forts? Excellent. I'll definitely have to check the store out soon...who knows what I'll find by the time I get there.

Glad to hear you got in...still a 3 hour wait almost for you, even though it was before the store opened!!

That's the stuff :) And it didn't seem like a wait, what with chatting to people and such. Although I was sure tired by the time I left :)

That's the stuff :) And it didn't seem like a wait, what with chatting to people and such. Although I was sure tired by the time I left :)

Good to hear!!! It would be different for me with 2 screaming kids wanting to run crazy instead of standing in a lineup...ok...I'm inspired now!

Thanks for the update.

I made it to the Sherway Gardens store on Friday morning. I arrived at 10am, and was surprised to see no line and walked right in. Lots of stuff to look at, and hopefully the PaB wall will get better with time. Only bought a small LEGO logo Magnet (and got the free Universe game). Decided to walk across the street and take advantage of the Lego City sale - buy 3 sets get 25% off! (Thanks IAmWillGibson for the heads up on that!)

Does the Lego stores have any good sales during the year? May be a dumb question, but if they do not, TRU will keep getting my money as I will take advantage of the sales there.

Glad to have a store near me anyways. If someone got the figs on Saturday, post a nice big clear pic would ya! :wink:

Edited by legomaniac83

I spoke to the store folks and they said it was a 2.5 hr line up to get in all weekend. The hot movers were the Grand Emporium, Tripod Invader and the AT-AT which all sold out. I went today late afternoon and it wasn't that busy at all and had 4 very helpful, eager (albeit newly trained) employees working the floor.

It's a nice store, but given the drive at 50km return trip, car wear and tear and gas prices, I don't think I'll be making the trip regularly...and will likely do most of my ordering via BL still. The PAB wall does have Dark Red 2 x 4's though, but the tiles were limited, no wheels, gears or anything really exciting.