Dr. Brick

REVIEW: 8401 Minifigure Collection

Hello Everybody.

This is my first review. I have just started following lessons at the academy but I thought this set couldn't wait.

I found it in Intertoys, they had most of the new construction sets, some new technic sets and all the power miners.

Well, here we go: :look:

8401 - Minifigure Collection

Year of release: 2009 officially, but you should be able to find it in a few shops allready.

Theme: City

Price: €7,99

Minifigs: 4

Pieces: 60

Let's start with the box:

dsc02375.jpg

It's a regular City box that clearly shows all the contents of the set.

dsc02377.jpg

The back shows us the contents in more detail. But there no 'easy building' written to reassure worried parents.

Inside I found two poly bags, a DSS :sad: and an instruction booklet:

dsc02379.jpg

Random instruction shot:

dsc02381.jpg

Off course the intructions are very clear.

Ok, now the most important part of the set: the minifigs.

This set includes 4 minifigs: an angry police man, a annoyed delivery boy, a satisfied buisness man and a happy woman.

dsc02384.jpg

dsc02386.jpg

As you can see all of the figs except the delivery boy have accesories.

But there are also bigger atributes:

A cart with a indy-box:

dsc02387.jpg

A brick-built stereo:

dsc02388.jpg

A nice bench: (I've always wanted one of these :classic:)

dsc02389.jpg

Then there are the traffic signs. These are a bit dissapointing because they are stickers... :sick: But they are cool designs, especially the zebra sign:

dsc02390.jpg

dsc02391.jpg

dsc02392.jpg

There is also a traffic light. It is completely brick built and it includes a tooth as a 'roof-piece':

dsc02395.jpg

There is also a fire atribute: (what do you call these things? :wacko: )

dsc02396.jpg

Well that was everything. Here's a pic of the complete set:

dsc02378.jpg

Rating:

Design: 5/5. There isn't a lot to rate but everything is brick-built which I appreciate.

Build: 5/5. Same here, not a lot to build but at least we have to build everything.

Minifigs: 3/5. Seeing that this set is all about the minifigs I feel they could have done a better job. A woman is nice but it would have been nice to get another one in stead of the policeman.

Overall-look: 5/5. Not much to say about this.

Price: 4/5. Maybe a little bit to expensive...

I love this set. Why? Because it has been ages since TLG released a set that made it possible to put a few figures in your city. It would have been nice if there was another woman in stead of the police guy, but hey, we can't have everything can we. :wink:

Dr. Brick

Nice review. It's a 'fire hydrant' by the way. Do those exist only in the US? You always see them on TV but I've never seen one in reality...

I'm not sure what they want with this set. As a traffic sign set it's a bit incomplete, as a people set I don't know what the traffic signs are doing there, and if it's a citizens set a policeman isn't really necessary - why not a child? Little girl with a toy car, for example?

And I love stickers when there's stuff on them I don't want. (power miners, for example) But on a traffic sign I want the picture to be on it, so I'll keep using the old 1970s ones. Because I hate stickers when I have to apply them.

I love this set. Why? Because it has been ages since TLG released a set that made it possible to put a few figures in your city. It would have been nice if there was another woman in stead of the police guy, but hey, we can't have everything can we. :wink:

I agree completely.

Got the set yesterday.

As to the fire hydrant, we have the same function in Sweden, but hidden under an iron lid in the street, so I don't think I'll be using it.

Why does Lego city need so many policemen when there aren't really enough citizens for them to police? :sceptic:

Lego take note: The only reason I won't buy this set is because I won't waste my money on another policeman.

That's one of the two downpoints (having another policeman).

The other one, to me, is that they could have used 2 male heads and two female; one could have bought two sets and have different minifigs swapping heads. (and the policeman head is one the worst available, along with the 7009 knight's.)

I'd rate this sate 3,5/5, and will only probably buy it on sale.

A great looking set, but since I have all the figs, I'll probably pass. Good chance to get a crate, bench and stereo though.

Thanks for the compliments everybody! :classic:

Nice review Dr. Brick. Are the traffic posts the same from 2000?

No they are a bit different. The zebra crossing one of 2000 doesn't show a minifig crossing, just a silhouette of a normal guy.

Dr. Brick

A portable stereo playing audio cassettes....... :wacko:

We 're back to Classic Town! :sweet:

Thanks for the review. This is quite a neat set, even given the presence of another policeman. However, the other figs are all nice, and the accesories are okay. It does have a sort of multi-impulse feel to it, like someone's taken a couple of impulse sets and thrown them all into the same box. I'll probably pick one up sometime. I mean, it's hardly a must-have, but I'll get one eventually.

I don't know it seems a little expensive for the price point(I'd rather buy a battle pack or something)

Surely, strictly speaking, this is a battle pack? Just without the battle. And the price was always bound to be "a little expensive" as minifig orientated sets usually are.

Surely, strictly speaking, this is a battle pack? Just without the battle. And the price was always bound to be "a little expensive" as minifig orientated sets usually are.

Well, there's a cop, a shady businessman with a briefcase and some innocent civilians as well....Could be interesting... :grin:

Thanks for the review, and I'm definitely picking up at least one of these sets, as my LEGO collection is deficiant of civilians, policemen and quality outdoor chairs. :sweet:

I was surprised to find this set on the shelf of a local department store while doing some last minute christmas shopping just a few hours ago, so I of course snatched it with me. I'm not a city collector, so I didn't have any of those torsos (or heads except the generic female one, for that matter), but I do now! :grin:

It's a superb little collection of figs and accessories, although a tad overpriced in my opinion. I paid 8,99 € for it, but everything's more expensive in my country since we're so "rich" here. :tongue: