Sign in to follow this  
Francis Marion

Color of Pirate-Themed Pieces

As many of you know, TLG has released a new line of Pirates (well, at least in the U.S.), and among the new pieces are pearl gold epaulettes and pearl dark gray cannons. I had a thought last night (it's morning where I am), of the possibility of getting new colors on some old accessories, examples being a pearl dark gray cutlass and a dark brown musket.

To anybody who will bother to answer, what are your thoughts on the new colors and the possibility of recolored old pieces?

If this topic has already been discussed, the "search" option has been disabled for me, so a Mod (already does) but may feel free to close this thread.

You forgot to mention new crocodile, monkey, parrot, boat, paddles, treasure chest, captain's hook, door of captain's cabin, octopus ( but this monster wasn't in pirates sets before ) and some differences in dress/flag/map pattern.

As for my opinion... Well, I'm a classic pirates fan and these new colors, shiny things and some patterns make me angry. I loved the simplicity of the "old" sets... those were perfect... and these new are little bit too overdone, don't know the right english word, but I want to say that they have just put too much preasure on making them as "cool" as they could be.

And don't really find need for shiny epolets, helmets, well cannons are not bad really, but I still like the old ones much more.

Now... what new? I guess they will make a black pirate soon :pir-laugh:

Maybe cannon's carriage will get a new look, new monkey possibly, pearl gray captain's hook, different colors of drinking glass, money and "diamonds".

Can't think of anything else now...

It is true the new sets have a bit too much new colours. That makes it hard to customize them with your "older" lego. Anyway, I'm still hoping on new muskets and cutlasses, with new colours of course. :pir-blush:

Brickarms* will release bayonets and rapiers soon, maybe even a new musket...

*=edited :pir-grin:

Edited by Cap'n Blackmoor

Actually, the "new" map is the Indiana Jones map from the Last Crusade set(s). I would love to see cutlasses done in the color of the swords in the Castle theme, just a little metallic. I think they would look spiffy.

Perhaps Lego should release cannonballs in metallic colour as well, that would be much better then the pale grey or black cannonballs which I use at this moment.

You forgot to mention new crocodile, monkey, parrot, boat, paddles, treasure chest, captain's hook, door of captain's cabin, octopus ( but this monster wasn't in pirates sets before ) and some differences in dress/flag/map pattern.

It's not that I forgot, but I was just giving a couple examples, just to give a general idea of my goal.

Bricklink will release bayonets and rapiers soon, maybe even a new musket...

I think you mean Brickarms, is that correct?

Actually, the "new" map is the Indiana Jones map from the Last Crusade set(s).

I recognized it from being in 7624 Jungle Duel, but I guess it's been used in other IJ sets.

Reason for edit: I accidentally pasted my response in again after the original.

Edited by Francis Marion

I like the new colours - I think epaulettes and especially the new spyglass piece look much better in pearl gold than they would in yellow. It's good to see the new dark brown around as well. I really like the navy blue/ white scheme of the Imperial boats as well - it looks very smart.

The cutlasses do look horrendously cheap in dark bley though - but they should go for metallic silver rather than pearl silver. There may be an issue with production though as I think metallic pieces are only coated with the colour rather than being solid all the way through, so weapons would probably show wear relatively quickly.

It's not that I forgot, but I was just giving a couple examples, just to give a general idea of my goal.

I see. Sorry for this misunderstending :pir-sweet: But You can't say I din't make the background for Your idea much bigger :pir-wink:

Edited by Mazin

The fact that I don't know what half the colors everyone above me is mentioning proves that Lego has way too many colors. The old pirates were simple because they had: Black, light gray, dark gray, yellow, red, blue, green, white, brown and gold. All basic colors. Now we have those basic colors plus the colors mentioned above (pearl gray, pale grey, pearl gold, navy blue, metallic silver, pearl silver) and any other colors Lego has that they haven't used on pirates yet. That's the #1 reason why new Lego sets will NEVER match the old ones. Period. :pir-classic:

Nicely said. But it's something that touches all Lego series. Worst thing is that too many new colours and patterns is not good for combining old sets with the new ones, like Cap'n Blackmoor said above :/

And there will be more colors coming I guess...

BTW... do we have to pay more for all those "shiny" elements? Does it make those pieces more expensive to produce or is it pretty same price?

Edited by Mazin

I've begun practising building rocks and I have numerous dark grey BURPS and LURPS and also quite a lot of dark grey slopes in different shapes, so it should be possible to build some rocks for any kind of MOCs that has rock formations.

I have even more dark bluish grey slopes in different shapes and also inverted slopes, so it would be natural to add these bricks onto an already built "dark grey" rock formation.

BUT - What do you people like to see in MOCs? Do you like to see rocks with different shades of grey, or do you prefer a rock to be in one colour and one colour only, or do you think it's okay to look at rock formations that have a mixture of dark grey and dark bluish grey bricks?

The same applies to light grey mixed with light bluish grey bricks?

And what about a mix of light and dark bricks?

I myself like to see MOCs that have rocks in the same shade of grey throughout the entire rock formation - UNLESS it's really well put together

I prefer to keep light bley/grey together (for the natural slight variation in colour), and the same with dark bley/grey. I would only consider mixing dark and light if there was something that had caused it, like mining (example). N.B. If a whole rockface is e.g. dark bley, the odd addition of a dark grey brick would be odd; it's best to have a reasonably even spread and ratio.

As far as I can recall, only conglomerate rocks have an intense variation in colour, and to be honest, those are just weird :pir-grin:

I think you can mix them in certain situations like rocks near water can be darker because they are wet or if you have a good design you can have a vien of a little light or dark gray. I'd love to see a hill done in tans and browns with some gray rocks in it. I've been too chicken to attempt it myself but its on my list of things to play around with.

Lorentzen, its LEGO man, any variation is acceptable ;) Im looking to build this huge castle and Ill need many parts to be bricklinked. With that said, if I went with just dark gray, since it looks so awesome, Id go bankrupt. Therefore, it is OK to mix gray with other grayish colors :)

Yes - I know it's perfectly acceptable, but do people think it looks good? :pir-classic:

I know I only think it looks good if it has been blended in very well with eachother

I think mix adds that special "touch" that is more appealing then the plain one color. Look at the most creative and detailed MOCs and you'll noticed they all have mix of different colors. Plus, it wont hurt to experiment a bit with it, some people like it and some dont. It is all matter of personal opinion.

It sounds like you have an artistic eye, Lorentzen. Therefore, you will find what combinations work for you and are generally more appealing. If you like it and are happy with it, then it will show in your work!