cartoondude

Power Miners: New Sets for 2009

i believe kids are gonna love these sets.

they have high playability (remember that the sets combine to build different models)

and the colors are pretty catchy for the kids eyes.

most Afols wont like these as they have huge <insert that tiresome argument> pieces and weird colors.

this theme is a great idea but lego cant get it right.

first they make those terrible rock raiders back in the 90s

with dull grey and brown colors

and now they turn it into a circus..

is there no middle way?

personally im very happy lego made this theme...

one less thing to buy in a very expensive year!!

More pics...

pics from www.brickshop.nl

Wow, our first real pic showing a set clearly. I think we can judge the line a bit better now. I'm not particularly excited about the it (that I'm not interested in Agents either may clear up why). Lime green bricks and "racers" parts mixed with technic elements just doesn't interest me, but I'll probably pick up a couple of the smaller sets just to get a few of the minifigs and a monster or two. The loader set (bottom left in the group pic) in particular looks like it could be easily converted into an effective town construction vehicle, for which the lime green would be a fine color.

I really like the monsters and I do like the colour scheme. It's a pretty nice theme. But it looks very weird, in a way. Maybe I'll get a little set, or just one set to get a monster. And if I really like it and if will have the money, maybe I'll get the whole line in my house. O, wait. There's no space anymore.

The chance exists that this sets before Christmas to buy will be in legoshop.

prices fall also saw me.

if you buy all 6 you will not have lost his 130 euros

The chance exists that this sets before Christmas to buy will be in legoshop.

prices fall also saw me.

if you buy all 6 you will not have lost his 130 euros

I think a lot of people are very harsh in their criticism (as was I of the Agents line) but they seem to forget that LEGO is in the business of selling sets to 7-12 year olds (mostly). AFOLs aren't the target audience for this line and I think have very little to complain about when it comes to what LEGO is doing in general. Before you start complaining that you're not an AFOL, read the terms of use.

When the first pictures showed up I didn't know what to make of this line, although since I look at sets as little more than parts packs, I liked them. I can do with more lime green. Having seen these photographs of much better quality I have to say that I'm not at all disappointed. I don't know whether any of you are at all familiar with underground mining equipment, but bright colours are the norm and I can imagine these flashy colours selling. I don't care for the monsters or the playability, but the designs do look interesting. Not bad at all.

Cheers,

Ralph

I looked on brickshop.nl.

It gave some information on numbers and names:

(I translated this from Dutch to english, so it's maybe not a real good translation)

8956 stonecrusher

8957 miningmachine

8958 Granitecrusher

8959 clawdigger

8960 thunderdrill

8961 crystallsweeper

They will make a special website for this line (like exo-force) and even something on television (animationseries?)

The story:

the humans on earth hear a strange noise from the center of the earth. Miners travel to the inside of the earth and they met creatures who fanatically dig in the rocks for crystals. When they taste of it, the creatures transforms in monstes who are addicted to the crystals and want more and more of them.

So it looks like the powerminers must save the creatures by letting them not eat the crystals or something like that. It remind me from healthcare people who want to help drugaddicted people.

I just tried to use a language translator website (I'm sure some one here who's Dutch could translate the set names :cry_happy: )

I got these results:

8956 Stone Cursor

8957 My Construction Machine ( :wacko: )

8958 No direct translation

8959 No direct translation

8960 THUNDER DRILL :devil::wub:

8961 Crystal *something*

EDIT: IT seems these are sorta null and void, thanks Wout for rectfying that :thumbup:

Hey, I still got THUNDER DRILL right! :devil::wub:

Edited by The Rancor

I do think these look like better sets than I originally thought, though I still doubt that I'll pick any up. I'm still not fond of the exclusively vehicular deal that pervades many LEGO themes today. At least the Rock Raiders had a base where they could take the crystals they harvested, refuel their vehicles, process ore, etc. Sure, the HQ wasn't great, but at least it was something (and it was a good deal more fun if you had the Rock Raiders computer game and knew what all the little buildings were).

On the other hand, it's good to see that LEGO is addressing the drug issue that plagues society today, by making a storyline including crystal junkies :wink:

Edited by Mariko

I think a lot of people are very harsh in their criticism (as was I of the Agents line) but they seem to forget that LEGO is in the business of selling sets to 7-12 year olds (mostly). AFOLs aren't the target audience for this line and I think have very little to complain about when it comes to what LEGO is doing in general. Before you start complaining that you're not an AFOL, read the terms of use.

When the first pictures showed up I didn't know what to make of this line, although since I look at sets as little more than parts packs, I liked them. I can do with more lime green. Having seen these photographs of much better quality I have to say that I'm not at all disappointed. I don't know whether any of you are at all familiar with underground mining equipment, but bright colours are the norm and I can imagine these flashy colours selling. I don't care for the monsters or the playability, but the designs do look interesting. Not bad at all.

Cheers,

Ralph

I do agree completely about the whole "kids line" thing. Personally, it's not the flashy colors that bother me, but the actual combination. For some unknown reason, I think I would have liked sand green with red better - and I don't get at all why the minifigures have blue and while outfts. Couldn't they at least have made orange and green outfits to match with the vehicles? I also agree that these still look like great parts packs, though. :classic:

i believe kids are gonna love these sets.

they have high playability (remember that the sets combine to build different models)

and the colors are pretty catchy for the kids eyes.

most Afols wont like these as they have huge <insert that tiresome argument> pieces and weird colors.

this theme is a great idea but lego cant get it right.

first they make those terrible rock raiders back in the 90s

with dull grey and brown colors

and now they turn it into a circus..

is there no middle way?

personally im very happy lego made this theme...

one less thing to buy in a very expensive year!!

What was wrong with Rock Raiders having dull grey and brown colors? Besides, the color scheme also included bits of yellow and Teal, so it wasn't all dark. I'd think that you'd like that the older theme had more "down to earth" colors, to pardon the pun. :tongue:

Ohhhh yeah! Thank you, thank you, thank you legomilk for the pictures and information. I wasn't saying much on the sets as I wnated to see better pictures, now I do I really like them! Not so much Technic as they looked, and more interesting looking than Mars Mission! Unfortunately the monsters we still don't have proper photographs of, but they still look cool, definitely like I said - like the Xalax Ramas from the Lego Racers sets and Lego Racers 2. :thumbup: Except addicted to crystals.

I really like the monsters and I do like the colour scheme. It's a pretty nice theme. But it looks very weird, in a way.

Yep, what I would say. Strange looking sets, but nice. Also I like bright colours in Lego so I like the green and orange, it works...

Power Miners On! :alien:

:skull:

I like the storyline, it's not as much sci-fi as rock raiders were. The set names also sound cool, i can't wait to finally see better pictures of the sets. I will at least pick up the biggest one. :thumbup:

Edit: oh, i oversaw the link with the pictures, thank you very much! Now i can say they look incredible, and i'll buy def. more than one :pir-tongue:

Edited by metalandi

I just tried to use a language translator website (I'm sure some one here who's Dutch could translate the set names...I got these results:

8956 Stone Cursor

Tehe :grin:

I love those little rock creatures! They remind me of Rotta the Hutt for some reason. However, some of the new big wheel pieces look like crap IMO...

Edited by darthperson

What's with all the complaining about the colour scheme?

I really like the orange/lime green (and no, I'm not a 10-year-old or one that is attracted by bright and shiny colours :wink: ), althought I'm not sure if they're the best choice for this theme. The theme looks fairly nice, but has too many almost useless <insert that tiresome argument> parts.

Blerg, not as much a fan! Why is Lego making so many Technic and System parts out of Lime Green [the crappiest color quality-wise] but they completely drop purple? Not to mention the amazingly <insert that tiresome argument> drill. I'll probably only get the smallest ones.

That depends all on everybody's personal opinions. I personally do think purple ist the most ugly color that has ever been invented, if in lego or in real life. I could puke if i just saw something made of purple. :tongue: And how can you tell if something is <insert that tiresome argument> from these pictures? I'm sure once we have bette rones or the instructions are up it will look a lot different. You can't even tell which pieces are used exactly from the pictures we got yet.

I'm not going to pretend I like these sets. But at the same time I know their not aimed at people of my age. I'm almost certain that kids will love these sets, but the amount of <insert that tiresome argument> pieces is still pretty disappointing, specifically in the close up of the drill set. I'm all for pieces being relased in new colours or existing pieces being released in new colours but at the same time I want to actually be able to intergrate them into a MOC. Now i'm sure some clever MOCer will intergrate them fantastically into a MOC but I'm speaking for Joe Everybuilder who sees a large jumbo-sized drill piece as a large jumbo-sized drill piece and not a spaceship nose cone/ steeple/ robotic tornado.

Saying that the largest set has potentially some good parts in it.

I really don't like this theme... flashy colours and ugly pieces... but that's only my point of view .

That's mine too.

yes i agreee with alot of you that the color scheme is awful and this is a bad idea. but phoinix is right they turned rock raiders into a circus and they even gave us a ferris wheel. but one question i have is what is the weird helmet thing all the miners wear it doesn`t look very helpful and it doesn`t look like there is even a visor. the last problem i have(yes i have a few) is the rock creatures they are just horrid i mean they have stickers for eyes :alien: ! why do we need this, don`t we already have mars mission?? :hmpf_bad:

This has nothing to do with mars mission or space in general. It's a whole different stand alone theme and i think more people will like it than most of you think at the moment.

This has nothing to do with mars mission or space in general.

But it is science fiction...

And:

Both involve people in mining vehicles

Both are mining for crystals

Both have strange creatures who want the crystals

So, similar, sort of.

:skull: