Sign in to follow this  
klokriecher

LEGO Space (Ice Planet 2002) - Ice Station Odyssey - Set 6983 - Review

6983-1.jpg

This is my only set of the LEGO Space (Ice Planet 2002) theme I've got so far. It has some cool pieces and some of them are really hard to find in the sets we get today. It also doesn't have any stickers which you have to worry about. I also can't complain about the number of minifigs we get in this set.

The vehicles are very nice as well. We get two rockets, a sledge with two big skis and a truck which can transport a rocket. The trailer of the truck can be removed very easily and the trunk does open if you want to put the rocket in. The base itself omes with a laser gate and a screen with a lever on the front. The base plate looks like the one we got in the LEGO Space (Spyrius) set 6959 (Lunar Launch Site). There're also two big translucent orange window pieces which looks really awesome and on the top of the window you can see a radar which sviwels full 360°.

Inside the base you get another laser gate, a place where you can put the translucent orange chainsaw and a sviwel chair with a dashboard which controls the landing platform for the rocket. You can move the blue cylinder piece if you want to lift the rocket up and down. The rockets also have a magnet which is used to get these vehicles on the arm which can slide on the platform. The arm can sviwel up and down and full 360°. On the ground you can also see a platform where you can put the rockets and on the back of the base you can find a radar which lifts up and down. It's a really cool set and it's worth the money for sure. It's also a must have for all LEGO collector's.

All in all this set is a great set and I would HIGHLY recommend you to get this. You can find this set on eBay, BrickLink and Amazon for sure. Here is the link where you can check out the full gallery I made for this set on my website: www.klokriecher.de

Videos I made of this set:

Stopmotion

Review

Speed Build

This set sits very high on my buying list. Great review and I've always wanted this fantastic set. Ice Planet 2002 is such a cool subtheme.

2 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

This set sits very high on my buying list. Great review and I've always wanted this fantastic set. Ice Planet 2002 is such a cool subtheme.

Thank you! I wonder, if they're going to make a modern version of this set at some point in the future.

Posted (edited)

I never owned any Ice Planet but it's the last Space theme that I found really cool (no pun intended).
I'd love to still get my hands on a Deep Freeze Defender... But sadly most second hand offers have suffered a lot from discoloration.

Edited by JesseNight

It's a good set, one of the better bases but I always wanted more to the base than what we got. You could have easily removed the vehicles and put more emphasis on having a fully intact building rather than just little bits and whatnot. The 16x32 baseplate is practically not used at all. 

Again, I like this set but a lot of the base sets have very similar styles and no real interior, which is why the ships almost always are superior, and in this case...the Deep Freeze Defender is by far one of, if not the best spaceship Lego ever produced.

16 hours ago, klokriecher said:

Thank you! I wonder, if they're going to make a modern version of this set at some point in the future.

I hope that they will do that someday but it depends on the status of transparent neon orange. What is the status of that color when transparent neon green has been discontinued?