Ropefish

B-50-15/16 Boxcar

Posted (edited)

I’ve been scouring for days on any Lego references for the B-50-15 style boxcars with the slanted supports on the side but can’t turn much up… I’m trying to keep most of the stock for my SP stuff around the 40’s-50’s but I can’t work out a design that works, much harder then then B-50-18’s so if anyone can point me in a good direction I’d appreciate it!!

Edited by Ropefish
Who confuses a caboose for a box car anyways :p

3 hours ago, Ropefish said:

I’ve been scouring for days on any Lego references for the c-50-15 style boxcars with the slanted supports on the side but can’t turn much up… I’m trying to keep most of the stock for my SP stuff around the 40’s-50’s but I can’t work out a design that works, much harder then then c-50-18’s so if anyone can point me in a good direction I’d appreciate it!!

I believe the C should be replaced with a B.

Is this the kind of reference you need?

Southern Pacific (SP) B-50-15 boxcar, built date of 1925, … | Flickr

I used Plastruct Plastic shapes to build outside bracing.  Unfortunately, I can't upload any picture's, files are too large. 

2 hours ago, Craig Strader said:

I believe the C should be replaced with a B.

Is this the kind of reference you need?

Southern Pacific (SP) B-50-15 boxcar, built date of 1925, … | Flickr

Ahh I made this post when I was heavily sleep deprived, I more needed lego build references for the slanted supports 

1 hour ago, Karle said:

I used Plastruct Plastic shapes to build outside bracing.  Unfortunately, I can't upload any picture's, files are too large. 

To upload pictures, you have to link them from somewhere else, like Flickr, Bricksafe, or a few others. EB isn't meant to hold photos.

As to the original question by Ropefish, I have no ideas. sorry!

I did this with a BR Ventilated Van body that also has angled side supports. It's just a 1x6 tile on a jumper plate and turned against the cant rail to give the angle I wanted.

50510127677_fe48eeff3e.jpg

11 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

I did this with a BR Ventilated Van body that also has angled side supports. It's just a 1x6 tile on a jumper plate and turned against the cant rail to give the angle I wanted.

50510127677_fe48eeff3e.jpg

Oh this helps out a lot! I was messing with flexi tube and didn’t look near as simple as this.

6 hours ago, Ropefish said:

Oh this helps out a lot! I was messing with flexi tube and didn’t look near as simple as this.

I've seen 3mm tubing used for angled supports like this if you can get it in the right color. Rubber bands or string could also work.