Sign in to follow this  
mahjqa

DF06 Aposematic (Friends style diesel shunter)

It's one of those challenges that the Powered Up system brings; how to build something that looks decent, while still containing all the electric components that make it go?

image.jpeg.9e4bf4e27221b5a6f9fc44fdf03d0c76.jpeg

Since subtle colours are not my style, Friends was the way to go. Still, I think Lego's Dark Pink is a plausible colour for an industrial shunter.

I hope the video speaks for itself:

Free instructions can be found here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-175076/Mahj/df06-aposematic

Edited by mahjqa

Nice.  Dark pink and neon yellow works really well.  Some times industries paint some of their equipment pink in support of breast cancer.

Normally I wouldn't build stuff like this, but it looks great and so 'fun-sized' that I really am tempted to!

I've been waiting for a Friends train - we just need LEGO to produce one - they have done everything else with Friends. 

Glad you all like it! 

@Dav1d It's certainly interesting how Friends went to space before they got a train. Maybe MOCs like this can show them there is plenty of enthusiasm for it.

I have three 60800 pieces in Dark Pink.  They look kind of like engine access doors.  I'm going to see if I can incorporate them into my build to add some detail.

@UltraViolet definitely also take a look at this model:

It uses those doors in a great way to cover up the battery box. The only downside I see is that they haven't produced 1x1 plates with clip in the right colour yet.

18 minutes ago, mahjqa said:

@UltraViolet definitely also take a look at this model:

It uses those doors in a great way to cover up the battery box. The only downside I see is that they haven't produced 1x1 plates with clip in the right colour yet.

I really like the hood profiling on that one!

Oooh, nicely done. With those colors, the shunter will be quite visible across the yard.

Posted (edited)

I am in the process of ordering the needed pieces to build this, and I have much of it pre-assembled in sections.  The Neon Yellow parts of the first I've owned in this color, so it's nice to be adding something new into my collection/pallet.  I also got some 44861 plate 1x2 with clip in Dark Pink to see if I can do anything with the door pieces.  My plan at the moment is to probably build this loco with a 9V motor and put a couple of weight bricks in place of the battery box for increased traction.

I presume you have MOC'ed all the little freight wagons also.  The purple tanker is calling my name, if you can point me in the right direction on the key parts used.  I think it would be fantastic to have a captive industrial switching layout with some of these, possibly in more than one color.

I just noticed also, that truck cab near the base of the crane in the video looks great.  I'll probably build one of those too.

Edited by UltraViolet
Additional text.

For anyone looking to build the tank car in this color or an alternate color, the curved slope pieces for the end domes are fairly new and still relatively expensive.  If you don't mind visible studs, you can directly substitute the 6x6 dish part at significantly lower cost for most colors.

Original part - 8x 76797 - "Slope, Curved 3 x 3 Corner Round"

Alternate part - 2x 44375b - "Dish 6 x 6 Inverted (Radar) - Solid Studs", or 2x 44375a - "Dish 6 x 6 Inverted (Radar) - Hollow Studs" for some additional colors.

There are a few exceptions where a particular dish color is rare/expensive, but overall it would be a fair substitute for a builder on a budget.  It would also provide connection points if you want to modify the design to include an over-the-end style ladder, a vintage end frame brace, or a full wrap-around hand rail.