Sign in to follow this  
Commander Wolf

[MOC] 1:48 Pennsylvania Railroad T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex v4 (Power Functions)

Hello all, almost ten years ago I posted the first version of my 1:48 scale T1. This was one of my earliest scale models and it was perhaps not that great and/or perhaps limited by the parts of the era. The model underwent many changes over the years, but at least from an aesthetic standpoint it fundamentally stayed the same. 

cam04794.jpg

cam04798.jpg

Having designed, built, and operated a ton more trains since then, I finally decided to do a complete rebuild of the T1, and this latest version shares practically nothing with the earlier versions save for the overall profile. 

1000x800.jpg?1707037965.2969797

53507522750_e0913525a3_c_d.jpg

Most significantly I moved the drivetrain from the tender to the locomotive, after testing a similar setup in my PRR Q2 (behind). This is a much simpler and more performant setup, and unlike the Q2, the T1 has coupled bogies and can navigate R40 geometry. 

53507522815_19720279f8_c_d.jpg

It it also still an almost entirely purist build save for the BBB #11 and #5 wheels. Anyways, see the video for more details and running shots, and have a nice day!

Edited by Commander Wolf

Quite impressive. Great work capturing the look (again) and making the locomotive the drive source now. I see a lot of recently released pieces that probably helped make the new version better.