Clone OPatra

Batman (DC Superheroes) 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

The Gotham skyline is impressive but not really for me; that said, the Minifigs do look good! Batman is perfect, Harley is spot-on, and Catwoman and the Joker are good as well. I do agree that Joker needs yellow eyes (and foot printing for his shoes), however, and Catwoman should have either dual-moulded or printed arms (all black is a bit jarring and looks disconnected from the torso); I do not mind her use of the Black Panther ears, as it actually matches her BTAS design. I am also glad to see the dual-moulded light grey/black legs back in production, and I hope that they show up on PaB for use on Rebel fleet troopers! 

22 minutes ago, Max_Lego said:

I see your point. But I still think the show studio is an iconic scene (it's the movie's quintessence, and the fact that there are so many "Joker speech" videos on YouTube proves that it's very popular) that deserves to be recreated in Lego, and it could've been a nice display set, not for kids. 

I won’t deny it’s not iconic. But a big part of that is it’s one of the few movie scenes where the director was able to get the audience to root for an innocent man to be gunned down by a serial killer. It really isn’t the type of scene Lego would want to be associated with, even as an 18+ set (which are, without any exceptions that I am aware of, simply sets that are more difficult to build and not sets based on more controversial material).

4 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Batman is perfect

He would've been if his cowl and boots were dark blue.

3 minutes ago, psqidexslizer said:

I won’t deny it’s not iconic. But a big part of that is it’s one of the few movie scenes where the director was able to get the audience to root for an innocent man to be gunned down by a serial killer. It really isn’t the type of scene Lego would want to be associated with, even as an 18+ set (which are, without any exceptions that I am aware of, simply sets that are more difficult to build and not sets based on more controversial material).

I see your point. But the film director himself said we're not supposed to root for the Joker, since Murray indeed is an innocent man. I know Lego won't realise such a set, I just wish they did. 

But more BTAS (and, hopefully, TNBA) sets is what I really want. 

I am afraid TLG won't realise more BTAS sets, and NO TNBA sets at all... :cry_sad:

Posted (edited)

This Joker talk has got me thinking, do we think there are any DC characters who LEGO would no longer be willing to put in regular sets? Because with Marvel Deadpool and Daredevil are now limited to exclusive figures or 18+ sets even for comic based versions of them, do you think characters like Polka dot man or Darkseid would now be similarly limited if LEGO wanted to include them due to how they're mainly tied to an R rated film?

28 minutes ago, Max_Lego said:

I am afraid TLG won't realise more BTAS sets, and NO TNBA sets at all... :cry_sad:

I wish they'd at least do a set with Robin, with both the animated series and the '66 show the image of Batman and Robin hopping in the car together and driving off is the image that stays in my mind of their Batmobiles. It feels odd to not include him.

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Max_Lego said:

I know that we won't get a Joker set, I am aware that the movie is R-rated but... Why? The only reason for this movie to be R-rated, IMHO, is the short Randall murder scene, the rest of the movie would've been PG-13 (if not for the swearing). I think Lego MAY realise a 18+ set based on this movie (like, Murray Franklin's studio), but, agreed, that would mean TLG breaking their one rule...

Yes, the movie is rated R for violence and language. (And brief sexual imagery). So yeah, sure, those are the "only" reasons for it to be R-rated, but, like, you can say that about almost any movie. 

"if you scale down the violence and remove the language and sex, it's R" works for most R-rated movies. Snyder cut was a couple F-bombs and some blood away from PG-13. But it's still R, so it still won't get sets.

2 hours ago, Max_Lego said:

Murray's studio would've been a perfect 18+ set

I mean, a 18+ set needs not to be a child's plaything. It's for display.

Also, wasn't Nolan's TDK violent? Lego had no problems with TDK sets

Oh yes, I totally forgot there was an obscene joke scene in that movie... :hmpf:

I talk about what 18+ sets are and how it's not accurate to say they don't need to be kid appropriate below, but as for TDK:

TDK is PG-13. Joker is R. That is the difference. The content isn't so much what matters- I'd say movies like TDK and Dune are pretty much exactly on par with something like Zack Snyder's Justice League maturity wise. Eternals had a bit of a sex scene, GOTG 3 dropped the f bomb, etc. But they're PG-13, so they can still get sets. It's the rating, that's the line lego will not cross. And Joker is R, so it won't get sets.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do it (though in terms of avoiding parental backlash, I think it is), but regardless of what we think about it, it's clearly how lego does things.

1 hour ago, Max_Lego said:

I see your point. But I still think the show studio is an iconic scene (it's the movie's quintessence, and the fact that there are so many "Joker speech" videos on YouTube proves that it's very popular) that deserves to be recreated in Lego, and it could've been a nice display set, not for kids. 

All lego still has to be appropriate for kids. The 18+ line isn't for things only adults should build/see, it's just a marketing thing. They can't make sets based off R-rated material even if it's an 18+ set.

27 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

This Joker talk has got me thinking, do we think there are any DC characters who LEGO would no longer be willing to put in regular sets? Because with Marvel Deadpool and Daredevil are now limited to exclusive figures or 18+ sets even for comic based versions of them, do you think characters like Polka dot man or Darkseid would now be similarly limited if LEGO wanted to include them due to how they're mainly tied to an R rated film?

I don't think so. DC's generally pretty good about keeping their characters in a wide variety of stuff- Harley Quinn's in a good number of R/MA projects, but she's still popular enough in general to get figures. Darkseid's a big bad, so one R-rated film won't stop him. Polka Dot Man's more obscure, but you also have to think about parents. I doubt enough know him to be concerned that the character was in a DC set, and since he's not exclusive to mature material, it should be fine. Unlike, say, deadpool, who's in a lot of stuff but almost exclusively known for being crass and violent.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

There is NO room for 2

DC and Marvel LEGO teams are "the same" ... look how many Marvel sets are there in 2023 compared to DC sets 2023!!

DC: 5 sets | Marvel: 27 sets

3 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

There is NO room for 2

DC and Marvel LEGO teams are "the same" ... look how many Marvel sets are there in 2023 compared to DC sets 2023!!

Bruh, where do you get all these random opinions? :jollyroger:

LEGO easily could make as many sets for DC as for Marvel — they just don't want to. 

1 hour ago, legoturtle said:

That is not true!

Of course it's true. Their set development is fuelled by the success of the Marvel films. Marvel is owned by Disney which also owns Star Wars - the biggest IP Lego has by a landslide. Lego clearly has a strong relationship with Disney, stronger than the one they have with Warner, who's big cash cow is Harry Potter. Potter is also incredibly popular. DC is popular but suffered from a rushed and inconsistent film series. Lego balked at making sets when there's one film that breaks $1 billion out of all of them, and many of them flopped. Lego sees far more mileage in the MCU than the DCEU, so they choose to make more sets for it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Peacemaker is probably the one character Lego wouldn’t be willing to do just because everything he’s known for is rated R. But, at the same time, his chances of being in a set probably actually went up just because people actually know who he is now.

1 hour ago, legoturtle said:

There is NO room for 2

If we got less Marvel sets, we’d just get less sets. The only way we see more DC sets is if DC gets more popular. Marvel isn’t holding DC back. DC’s failure to connect with audiences for the past 11 years, outside of R-rated content, is. If DC sold well, we’d get more DC sets. They don’t and so we’re stuck with the five we get.

Edited by psqidexslizer

Not to derail the (already) derailed discussion, but Brick Fanatics put out this article that described the June 2024 sets in a little more detail, with their source being a Polish website called Fanklockow. No idea if they're reliable or not, but they must be if these big sites are running with it.

The biggest news for me is the BTAS Batmobile set description. It's great to see that Lego seems to be continuing the Batmobile display stand streak (besides the minifig scale Tumbler breaking it), but that bit about Batman coming with a "rubber cape" has me wondering if this was a mistranslation or if he's getting the Doctor Strange cape/the molded Keaton cape and cowl treatment. Either way, Batman's not going to be able to fit in the Batmobile if it's either of those things.

ksHaAOh.png

10 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

Not to derail the (already) derailed discussion, but Brick Fanatics put out this article that described the June 2024 sets in a little more detail, with their source being a Polish website called Fanklockow. No idea if they're reliable or not, but they must be if these big sites are running with it.

The biggest news for me is the BTAS Batmobile set description. It's great to see that Lego seems to be continuing the Batmobile display stand streak (besides the minifig scale Tumbler breaking it), but that bit about Batman coming with a "rubber cape" has me wondering if this was a mistranslation or if he's getting the Doctor Strange cape/the molded Keaton cape and cowl treatment. Either way, Batman's not going to be able to fit in the Batmobile if it's either of those things.

ksHaAOh.png

Guess it isn’t entirely shocking at that price point for a Batmobile that it’s a bit more on the display side than the play side. 

A bit late to the party, but I really like the BTAS diorama. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it because of the price, and I still kind of wish it had been half the size and half the price, but I am pretty sure I am going to buy it eventually anyway.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what the upcoming Batmobile set looks like.

I'm probably not gonna get the BTAS diorama since I don't collect superhero stuff much, but as a fan of the artstyle of the animated series (including the really distinctive looks of its architecture and scenery) I love that they made a set focused on that for a tribute set.

I'm not sure yet if I will get the BTAS art set, but I do like it very much, and much more compared to the bat cave. BTAS also resonates more with me as I grew up watching it.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, psqidexslizer said:

The older molds have the two eyes holes where the movie had one big one. Arguably, the best way to capture the look without a new model would just be a printed head. It wouldn’t do justice to the “ears,” but then neither did the movie 😝.

I want you to look at me dead in the eye and tell me the print wouldn't look terrible.

Jokes aside, I do agree, this would've been the way to go, but I guess hindsight is 20/20 and the easiest solution was to just skip the mask.

16 hours ago, legoturtle said:

All (4) The Batman sets are very high quality. There is no sense to skip those.  

The Lego Store clerk when he's told he gets a comission for each set he sells:

7 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

Batman coming with a "rubber cape" has me wondering if this was a mistranslation or if he's getting the Doctor Strange cape/the molded Keaton cape and cowl treatment.

Gotta be, no? Like, one would think they'd included the new mold in the D2C set.

9 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Bruh, where do you get all these random opinions? :jollyroger:

He escaped from the aslume!

Edited by PGBQW

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't think so. DC's generally pretty good about keeping their characters in a wide variety of stuff- Harley Quinn's in a good number of R/MA projects, but she's still popular enough in general to get figures. Darkseid's a big bad, so one R-rated film won't stop him. Polka Dot Man's more obscure, but you also have to think about parents. I doubt enough know him to be concerned that the character was in a DC set, and since he's not exclusive to mature material, it should be fine. Unlike, say, deadpool, who's in a lot of stuff but almost exclusively known for being crass and violent.

That's a good point, though the thing that makes me wonder is Daredevil, the show was popular but not the only thing he was known for. I feel most parents wouldn't know the name or would think of him as just 'the blind superhero' as he was one of the few Marvel characters outside the usual Spider-man, X-men, Fantastic Four that regular people knew of before the MCU. It's definitely not on the level of Deadpool where everyone is aware from the name that it's the R rated superhero 

I love the set. I'm amazed by it. The animated series is the reason why I love Batman (and art deco in general), so I am biased. But I will get in on the 4th of April. The only thing I'm not a fan of are the minifigures. They seem so off. Batman looks weird and they don't look like they are from the show. The Joker seems the best one. The weird thing is, I'm not a fan of microscale sets, but this I have to get. I'm also excited for the Batmobile in June.

2 hours ago, ???theriddler??? said:

I love the set. I'm amazed by it. The animated series is the reason why I love Batman (and art deco in general), so I am biased. But I will get in on the 4th of April. The only thing I'm not a fan of are the minifigures. They seem so off. Batman looks weird and they don't look like they are from the show. The Joker seems the best one. The weird thing is, I'm not a fan of microscale sets, but this I have to get. I'm also excited for the Batmobile in June.

Batman and Joker are off. Harley is great. Catwoman is fine, although I think of like five other characters before her when I think BTAS. Honestly, I would've traded these four for a far more accurate Batman and Joker. 

7 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

That's a good point, though the thing that makes me wonder is Daredevil, the show was popular but not the only thing he was known for. I feel most parents wouldn't know the name or would think of him as just 'the blind superhero' as he was one of the few Marvel characters outside the usual Spider-man, X-men, Fantastic Four that regular people knew of before the MCU. It's definitely not on the level of Deadpool where everyone is aware from the name that it's the R rated superhero 

Well for one thing, we did get him in the Bugle. So while he's definitely not as easy to get as other heroes, lego is still comfortable making him.

But I think the reason is he is pretty heavily associated with a high maturity rating. I would say most people right now who've heard of him know him from the netflix series. Even in the comics his most famous stuff is Miller's work, which is incredibly gritty and violent. Now he's not the only character to have consistently gritty stuff, but I would say it's an overwhelming enough portion of his popularity that lego doesn't want to put him in standard sets in general. But if he were to show up in a cartoon we were getting sets for, or a PG-13 MCU movie, I don't think they'd have a problem putting him in a set for that.

8 hours ago, PGBQW said:

He escaped from the aslume!

No, no. He prefers the Shadow Box over the Skyline, but the Skyline has Conroy and Hamill's "batman" and "joker", similar to their popular Aslume characters in the Ham franchise. Any Aslume inmate would prefer the skyline.

(Though honestly neither do it for me. Both are focused on capturing adults who wouldn't normally buy legos. Star Wars has done MBS sets before, and they're both meant for adults and highly successful. The lego group doesn't seem to get it, but the superhero franchise, which is a lot more focused on the characters merch wise than Star Wars, would lend itself even better to MBS sets.)

2 hours ago, NovaBricks said:

Batman and Joker are off. Harley is great. Catwoman is fine, although I think of like five other characters before her when I think BTAS. Honestly, I would've traded these four for a far more accurate Batman and Joker. 

It's such a weird decision. Assumably she was there over, say, Robin because they wanted a 50/50 male/female ratio, but, like, Phantasm. The character BTAS created, the headliner of the first BTAS film. Or batgirl, who's also a pretty big part of it. 

We even know Phantasm WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE originally. Did they get responses in the survey saying "we don't like Phantasm, we'd rather have another catwoman?" Who? Who's responding to them saying that?

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's such a weird decision. Assumably she was there over, say, Robin because they wanted a 50/50 male/female ratio, but, like, Phantasm. The character BTAS created, the headliner of the first BTAS film. Or batgirl, who's also a pretty big part of it. 

We even know Phantasm WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE originally. Did they get responses in the survey saying "we don't like Phantasm, we'd rather have another catwoman?" Who? Who's responding to them saying that?

I guess if we got Phantasm it would be with the mask on, which would kind of be gender-neutral even though it's a woman? But yeah, not sure what the thought process was. Phantasm, Mr. Freeze, even Ivy come to mind before Catwoman. I think this is just a case of someone being lazy and thinking "yeah well Catwoman is always Batman's love interest so let's just throw her in."

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

No, no. He prefers the Shadow Box over the Skyline, but the Skyline has Conroy and Hamill's "batman" and "joker", similar to their popular Aslume characters in the Ham franchise. Any Aslume inmate would prefer the skyline.

Wait, are we allowed to Jonkle again? I was under the impression that we weren’t. Am I Stupid?

Well The Batman: Part 2 got delayed a whole year. So looks like potential for less sets next year. Hope they fill in the gap with some more animated Series or comic sets. Maybe some Nolan stuff. 

28 minutes ago, CloneCommando99 said:

Wait, are we allowed to Jonkle again? I was under the impression that we weren’t. Am I Stupid?

No one ever said that you couldn't. I expressed my disdain for it all and have no desire to repeat it, and for a good short while most people respectfully refrained and I am grateful for that. At no point was the word 'allowed' brought in. However I would say that if you want to carry on feel free, just don't be upset when I call it childish and boring or answer your last question with an emphatic 'yes'.