Craig Strader

Baldwin Disc Drivers on BALL BEARINGS

Hey everyone, I'm back and boy o boy have I got something for you all to bear witness. I created the Baldwin Disc Driver a while back as a means to potentially offer more wheels aside from traditional Spoked and Boxpok or Bullied-Firth in some rare instances. But the reason I am posting this is because not just of general wheel improvements, but also how smooth the wheels turn as well. These Baldwin Disc Drivers are indeed utilizing ball bearings exactly like what you would put on rolling stock, only this set has locomotive drive wheels and has a gear.

I'm thinking about setting up a shop next year selling custom parts like these. Not just the Baldwin drivers but also everything else. The wheels are undergoing further testing and if I can, I might make some kits where the ball bearings are STANDARD in them. But for now, what your see before you is a prototype. Let me know what you think of this

800x600.jpg

Here is the lettering of the wheels

800x600.jpg

Here is the video link to the wheelset in action. Watch the smoothness roll.

Edited by Craig Strader
Too large of pictures

@Craig Strader from what little I can see it looks cool. However: Those pictures are way, WAY too big... I'm having issues with them fitting on my monitor, and people with slower internet are going to have issues too.

I think the limits on size are 800x600, but I can't recall exactly. Maybe @JopieK can help out here.

26 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

@Craig Strader from what little I can see it looks cool. However: Those pictures are way, WAY too big... I'm having issues with them fitting on my monitor, and people with slower internet are going to have issues too.

I think the limits on size are 800x600, but I can't recall exactly. Maybe @JopieK can help out here.

I fixed it. Better?

5 minutes ago, Craig Strader said:

I fixed it. Better?

Thanks! I don't know the rule by heart but it should be somewhere in a link of my signature. Murdoch is right.

They look great @Craig Strader. Did you cast them yourself? 

Just now, JopieK said:

Thanks! I don't know the rule by heart but it should be somewhere in a link of my signature :)

They look great @Craig Strader. Did you cast them yourself? 

As far as the drivers and the special crossaxle required to accommodate the steel axle go, yes. Ball bearings are model F682ZZ, Lego gear is a standard 12 teeth bevel gear

2 hours ago, JopieK said:

Murdoch is right.

Hmm. Confused I am - big are the pictures ... fast time flies ...

In this topic (not open to discussion :pir_laugh2:)

@Milan said that @Siegfried said in 2008, not to post images larger as 1024 x 768 (aka the good'ol 4:3 XGA standard, IBM introduced in 1990 :pir-huzzah2:) and where Siegfried suggested to use 800 x 600 (aka the even older 4:3 SVGA standard, IBM introduced three years earlier :pir-huzzah1:), because even in 2008, 800 x 600 shows almost all details you need to discern. I totally agree.

In essence, 1024 x 768 is the max. size allowed on EB - since 2008. So nothing changed, for 15 years. 800 x 600 is recommended. Is this correct? Otherwise, I may get keelhauled sooner than later, as I frequently used 1000 x something ...

:pir-santa:

Best,
Thorsten

@Craig Strader

These wheels are >very< nice indeed!

The hole close to the center of the wheel is for the connection "pin" to a driving/connecting rod, correct? As they are located on real machines, correct?

If so, when wanting to drive the wheels as per this pin, there needs to be some sort of "crank" as well, right? Which would be so lovely so see spinning around - I believe most LEGO models built at this scale don't have these.

Thank you very much!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Hmm. Confused I am - big are the pictures ... fast time flies ...

In this topic (not open to discussion :pir_laugh2:)

@Milan said that @Siegfried said in 2008, not to post images larger as 1024 x 768 (aka the good'ol 4:3 XGA standard, IBM introduced in 1990 :pir-huzzah2:) and where Siegfried suggested to use 800 x 600 (aka the even older 4:3 SVGA standard, IBM introduced three years earlier :pir-huzzah1:), because even in 2008, 800 x 600 shows almost all details you need to discern. I totally agree.

In essence, 1024 x 768 is the max. size allowed on EB - since 2008. So nothing changed, for 15 years. 800 x 600 is recommended. Is this correct? Otherwise, I may get keelhauled sooner than later, as I frequently used 1000 x something ...

:pir-santa:

Best,
Thorsten

@Craig Strader

These wheels are >very< nice indeed!

The hole close to the center of the wheel is for the connection "pin" to a driving/connecting rod, correct? As they are located on real machines, correct?

If so, when wanting to drive the wheels as per this pin, there needs to be some sort of "crank" as well, right? Which would be so lovely so see spinning around - I believe most LEGO models built at this scale don't have these.

Thank you very much!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

I made a version for accepting eccentric cranks rotated at 25 degrees right and left. The one you see before you is for your run-of-the-mill connector pegs

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Nice.  Do they allow for traction tires? 

Those will be applied in a similar fashion like an O-Gauge train. The tires in question are not those red/white "donut" bands, but a full on black cylinder with a rather big inside diameter. 50.4mm to 52.4mm for ID to OD respectively.

2 hours ago, Toastie said:

@Milan said that @Siegfried said in 2008, not to post images larger as 1024 x 768

This might not be the best place to discuss this. If necessary, we can continue the conversation via PM or within the General forum topics

Essentially, according to our guidelines, the maximum allowed size is 1,024 x 768 pixels.
We set this limit because not everyone has access to high-speed internet everywhere.
Posting a topic with numerous oversized images could create problems for those users.

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Wandering back on topic (grin), those look slick. Are you just using 1x2 technic bricks to hold the axles?

Of my own design yes. Technic bricks have an opening that is too small for the bearings. I didn't want to use a heat gun, so I went for designing the bricks to accommodate the bearings.