SerperiorBricks

REE Models CIWL Baggage Car for 21334

I've completed my design for a Baggage Car to complete the Orient Express train into a full train set. I used a similar design that has been paired with coaches like these in a model train pack by REE models.

Some quirks of the reference model are the angled doors at the ends of the coach with their own steps, represented by inverted and round plates in my model. The Door Portals are carried over from the standard coaches, using the grilled fence piece to represent a ladder that shows on the models. There's also a view box at the front of the coach. I haven't quite figured out what the interior of one of these looks like, so for now it's just a shell.

CIWL Baggage Car - CompleteCIWL Baggage Car - In the Set

In the consist, the Baggage Car is shorter than the rest of the coaches, and with a 6-wheel base there were some fun challenges to overcome. To keep the ladders static, the turntables salvaged from the standard coach now are used to let the buffers and connector pivot. The outer wheelsets are on a pivot, which are necessary for anything below R72, but are not required for R72 and larger. The middle wheelset is using the same sliding mechanism as the Tender, which is necessary for any Radii.

CIWL Baggage Car - Door Side (1/4 Plate Inset)

On the left side, doors are embedded into the side of the coach 1/4 plate. 

CIWL Baggage Car - Sliding Door Side

The right side has two sliding doors, that I would like to get stickers made for, using a clear piece like the CE HE carriage doors.

CIWL Baggage Car - Complete

More pictures and some WIP Pictures can be found in this album on my Flickr.

Great MOC!

However, are those old train 1x2x3 windows available in dark blue? If not, it's gonna cause you grief when built in real life!

22 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Great MOC!

However, are those old train 1x2x3 windows available in dark blue? If not, it's gonna cause you grief when built in real life!

No, haha- those are just to be pretty for renders. I will likely either tape over official parts or get custom ones.

3 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Great MOC!

Really nice. Great addition to that train. Just got myself one last Saturday. The windows are still being produced though, so maybe some day TLG will put some dark blue in their moulding machines (Years Released: 1980 - 2023 according to Bricklink)

3 hours ago, SerperiorBricks said:

The outer wheelsets are on a pivot, which are necessary for anything below R72, but are not required for R72 and larger. The middle wheelset is using the same sliding mechanism as the Tender, which is necessary for any Radii.

That’s a very classy looking baggage car to carry a lot of very classy baggage. I have a question, though. How are you making the outer axles pivot? Are they on the same pivot as the couplers or do they pivot independently?

6 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Great MOC!

The frames are not in dark blue currently but still produced in various colors. It's mainly the inserts that have not been made for 20 years in 2024. (2004)

On 12/21/2023 at 9:42 PM, Hod Carrier said:

That’s a very classy looking baggage car to carry a lot of very classy baggage. I have a question, though. How are you making the outer axles pivot? Are they on the same pivot as the couplers or do they pivot independently?

The description says that the centre wheels slide, so presumably the outer axles are fixed.

3 hours ago, FGMatt said:

so presumably the outer axles are fixed

Which will naturally add a lot of friction in R40 curves at this fixed axle distance, as the outer wheel flanges will "grind" the tracks - but this is certainly designed for larger radii anyway.

Best,
Thorsten

4 hours ago, FGMatt said:

The description says that the centre wheels slide, so presumably the outer axles are fixed.

The description also says that the outer wheels are on a pivot, the nature of which I was enquiring about. 

On 1/2/2024 at 4:06 PM, Hod Carrier said:

The description also says that the outer wheels are on a pivot, the nature of which I was enquiring about. 

On 1/2/2024 at 3:34 PM, Toastie said:

Which will naturally add a lot of friction in R40 curves at this fixed axle distance, as the outer wheel flanges will "grind" the tracks - but this is certainly designed for larger radii anyway.

Best,
Thorsten

On 1/2/2024 at 12:00 PM, FGMatt said:

Apologies for all curious, I needed to carve out the time to prep the visuals. As mentioned, the outer axles and buffers rotate to allow the rolling stock to travel around tight curves.

Flexing on a Curve

Belly Rubs

Perspective Shot for Better View

Edited by SerperiorBricks

Thanks for posting these images of the underside of the car. Are there any linkages or mechanism to connect the outer and inner axles hidden within the coach or do all parts move independently of each other?

If you have omitted some sort of linkage you will have all sorts of issues when you run the car for real. Although I can see how the axles take the shape of an R40 curve all by themselves, you will still need something to bring all the axles back into line again for the straights. The problem is that a LEGO axle on it's own will not simply follow the shape of LEGO track and needs to be steered, otherwise it will do whatever it wants (usually turning itself across the tracks) which will cause friction and derailments. Trust me on this, as I spent a lot of time looking into this a few years ago.

As your car has three axles and not just two, you can make a mechanism that should work quite effectively by using the centre axle to steer the outer axles into curves as well as bringing everything back to the centre on the straights. I strongly recommend you have a look at @jtlan's Umbauwagen 3yg design and see if you can replicate something like his solution into your car so that you and your customers are not disappointed with the running qualities of your design.

Edited by Hod Carrier