MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

19 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I wonder if that's reflective of the wider LEGO consumer base. I have to believe more of this stuff is on the way in the future. Both films, along with ROTS I'd argue, have such a deep well of sets which LEGO hasn't really dipped into much lately.  

Lego hears us loud and clear, they’ll be releasing a micro, all-red MTT that appears in three frames of a 2009 episode of TCW. 

Jokes aside, I do think they largely give fans what they want, but sometimes they fumble so hard with sets that are the equivalent of layups. 

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I still don't see people liking a GWP makes it a bad GWP. If it's liked and something not strictly a standard set, why is that bad? This feels to me like people have to find something to complain about no matter what.

Also- and this is a complete side note- we've had non-in-universe vehicles for forever- it didn't start with the mechs. Jek-14's jedi scout fighter comes to mind.

We had the sandspeeder 10 years ago as well most battle packs build aren’t canon vehicles either. 

The GWP is good don’t get me wrong but it would have also made a great set as well my only problem is I don’t know if there is enough LSW I want to meet the threshold. 

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

There’s a shot of the upcoming book showing the concept drawing of a light flesh Zam Wesell minifig *huh* Seems like there may have been a cancelled AotC set at some point? Or maybe it was just for the Skywalker Saga game :laugh:

Edit: It‘s from a cancelled 2020 set :cry2: Darn you!!

Really that sucks, I wonder what other sets have been cancelled over the years and what we could have had. Maybe they’ll redo that speeder chase sets when they inevitably do a AotC anniversary 

3 minutes ago, Llewop said:

We had the sandspeeder 10 years ago as well most battle packs build aren’t canon vehicles either. 

Yeah. That’s why I find it so frustrating when there are canon vehicles that would be perfect for a battlepack but Lego doesn’t make them. (Imperial army Crowd Control Speeder from Andor S1 finale comes to mind)

Speaking of Non-canon, Lego should try to make a legends set every so often.

42 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Yeah I just realized there’s no way they don’t downsize it like the Coruscant guard gunship. Or perhaps all the backlash to the latter caused them to reconsider which sets they undersize and which ones they oversize. 

Hopefully that's something they take into consideration going forward!

30 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

It's easy to see the interest in TPM and AOTC sets - at least for sets like an MTT and something with Zam - on this forum. I wonder if that's reflective of the wider LEGO consumer base. I have to believe more of this stuff is on the way in the future. Both films, along with ROTS I'd argue, have such a deep well of sets which LEGO hasn't really dipped into much lately.  

I really hope it is! There sure is enormous potential for Lego to tap into.

I like the UCS Interceptor but that angle on the stand sucks.  I want to see the front without having to put it on a low shelf.  I guess I'll just flip it around like with the UCS X-wing.

1 hour ago, Old Master said:

I'm a simple man, all I'd ever need is a cool minifigure. Not into all these accessories they do. At least have the GWP be something with Lego parts!

To be fair, two of the three are, and we used to only get one extra. 

That said, I agree that the cool minifigures would be nice. The budget seems very low for GWPs nowadays- even when a fig does get an exclusive print, it's normally one or two- but there are certainly figs you can pull off well with only a new face and torso. Officers, characters like Mara Jade or Starkiller, etc don't need arm printing or unique leg printing to stand out, and would make good GWPs. But then again, if people are this angry about a 1999 battle droid carrier remake, I'd shudder to see the reaction to literally any clone trooper being a GWP.

37 minutes ago, Llewop said:

The GWP is good don’t get me wrong but it would have also made a great set as well my only problem is I don’t know if there is enough LSW I want to meet the threshold. 

There isn't for me- I'm gonna be passing on this one, which'll be the first time in a few years I've done so. GWPs aren't terrible- interceptor is fine for what it is, coin is on the worse side for a non-lego GWP but better than something like the venator patches, and the droid carrier is a wonderful little anniversary reference- but I don't have lego I want to buy.

As for it making a great set- I'm sure it would- albiet altered a bit to represent the in-universe vehicle more than the 1999 set- but I think the anger is really overblown. Would people have preferred we had a low-quality or undesirable GWP?

17 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Would people have preferred we had a low-quality or undesirable GWP?

There‘s just no pleasing this fandom :laugh: UCS set with exclusive minifig? Fans are angry. UCS set without exclusive minifig? Fans are angry. Cool GWP? Fans are angry. Not so cool GWP? Fans are angry :tongue:

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

There‘s just no pleasing this fandom :laugh: UCS set with exclusive minifig? Fans are angry. UCS set without exclusive minifig? Fans are angry. Cool GWP? Fans are angry. Not so cool GWP? Fans are angry :tongue:

This is basically it. Somebody will complain regardless of what they do.

4 hours ago, Lego Nostalgia said:

Are we certain that the Boba in the Skiff set is the reuse from the Mech or is it still possible for it to be the accurate ROTJ version and leakers haven't seen it properly ?

Previous rumours said he will be the same, also the skiff had to be design at least 1 year before, so they had some of the minifigs made, also we received a new hope set and we did not get a new torso print for Vader, so I doubt it but I could be wrong who knows.

Also about the cancelled Zam Wesell, when will be the last chance to get Wesell or Jango's Slave I? 25 th anniversary of AotC?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Edit: It‘s from a cancelled 2020 set :cry2: Darn you!!

So we now FINALLY know something about the cancelled 2020 sets. I remember MandR mentioning it in a rumor video at the time, and always wanted more info on what we missed out on. I hope LEGO has seen that at least the loud online community wants a remake of the 2002 set. 

By the way, no mention of 2X Insider points, do we know anything on that front?

Edited by Unknown Jedi Master

The UCS TIE Interceptor is awesome IMHO. It looks like a giant leap forward in comparison to the 2015 UCS TIE Fighter, especially in the terms of cockpit design. Compaing the original from 2000 to it is absolutely ridiculous, since the old one was anything but faithful to the source material. The new version, while not as good as some MOCs, does look much like the TIE Interceptor from ROTJ. Yet I think the pilot and mouse droid minifigures are bad, since I miss the 2018 Solo helmet with oxygen tubes pattern,  and the mouse droid is hard to recreate with Lego pieces 

The GWPs in 2023 were bangers in every theme, but so far for me the only must-have GWP of 2024 is the battle droid carrier. I had the original set from 2001, so this presses all my remake-loving battle-droid buttons. What I'll be buying for the GWP will be the Coruscant Guard Gunship and the Clone Trooper & Battle Droid Battle Pack. I'd been thinking about just getting the Gunship on its own for half-price without minifigs, but the combo of the two sets is much better value than the Gunship alone.

The two of them together cost $170, and between the two of them you get the big ship, seven clones, two other minifigs, five droids, a speeder bike, a decently-sized enemy unit, and a tiny little turret. The piece count is only 1298, which is still far too little for $170, but the count of figures and side builds for play value is pretty good.

Comparable prices are:

• the 2013 Republic Gunship was $160 inflation-adjusted, and you got a bigger ship but you only got two clones, three other minifigs, two droids, and a speeder bike - compared to the combo above, that's missing four minifigs, three droids, and a decently-sized enemy unit
  • the 2008 Republic Gunship was $170 inflation-adjusted, and you got a bigger ship but you only got two clones, three other minifigs, and a speeder bike - compared to the combo above, that's missing four minifigs, three droids, and a decently-sized enemy unit
  • the 2002 Republic Gunship was $156 inflation-adjusted, and you got a bigger ship but you only got four clones, one other minifig, and three droids - compared to the combo above, that's missing four minifigs, two droids, a speeder bike, and a decently-sized enemy unit
  • the 2020/2021 Razor Crest + Trouble on Tatooine combo was $160 at release (later $170). You got a bigger ship, and you only got five minifigs, one droid, two baby yodas, a speeder bike, half a hut, and a decently-sized allied unit. Compared to the combo above, that's missing four minifigs and four droids, but it makes up for it with the baby yodas and the extra side build.
  • the Ghost & Phantom 2 is $160, and you get a bigger ship but only four minifigs and a droid - compared to the combo above, that's missing five minifigs, four droids, a speeder bike, and a decently-sized enemy unit
  • the 2019 Millennium Falcon was $160 (now $170), and you get a bigger ship but you only get five minifigs and two droids - compared to the combo above, that's missing four minifigs, three droids, a speeder bike, and a decently-sized enemy unit
  • the 2020 AT-AT was $160 (now $170), and you get a bigger ship but you only get six minifigs and a speeder bike - compared to the combo above, that's missing three minifigs, five droids, and a decently-sized enemy unit
  • the Yavin IV Rebel Base is $170 and it has an awful PPP, but the build is pretty big and you get 10 minifigs and two droids

When you add in the GWP at 262 pieces and 8 droids, the combo becomes $170 for 1560 parts, which is 10.9 cents per part, which is higher than I'd like but not awful. You get the big ship, seven clones, two other minifigs, a whopping thirteen droids, a speeder bike, a small enemy troop carrier, and a decently-sized enemy unit.

That's pretty good value. That's got me feeling good about the Coruscant Guard Gunship and not feeling like I'm being ripped off.

Ok - had to write down my thoughts here so I didn't lose them. Your thoughts?

Icm, good for you! At least you’ll be happy on the day that’s the magic of lego maths! I like the droid carrier for what it is and the spending threshold is in fact a bit lower than I had expected. Your combo or the ghost was what I had in mind but I spent on a non-SW set only yesterday and now I better spare my wallet and skip May the 4th entirely. I will be tempted though…

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yep, sadly I can be like this at times. I imagine LEGO has a hard time deciding what to do. I would definitely get the Interceptor even if it lacked a minifig, fwiw.

52 minutes ago, Max_Lego said:

The UCS TIE Interceptor is awesome IMHO. It looks like a giant leap forward in comparison to the 2015 UCS TIE Fighter, especially in the terms of cockpit design. Compaing the original from 2000 to it is absolutely ridiculous, since the old one was anything but faithful to the source material. The new version, while not as good as some MOCs, does look much like the TIE Interceptor from ROTJ. Yet I think the pilot and mouse droid minifigures are bad, since I miss the 2018 Solo helmet with oxygen tubes pattern,  and the mouse droid is hard to recreate with Lego pieces 

Yeah, the cockpit on the original version was awful, but the best they could do at the time I suppose. I have a feeling this version is far superior structurally as well. I can't wait to actually see it in person. Hopefully, they complete the UCS TIE collection someday with the bomber and an updated version of Vader's TIE.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, icm said:

Ok - had to write down my thoughts here so I didn't lose them. Your thoughts?

You could pair the droids vs clones battle pack with virtually anything and its collective value would skyrocket because that’s how good of a deal it is for $30, it’s an outlier. 

The older gunships actually integrated side builds into the main vehicle in clever ways, and that felt very cool and worth the money. No speeder just sitting there next to the CGG will ever feel as neat as slotting a speeder or command post or bacta tank into the actual ship. “Smaller” doesn’t capture the bigger problems with the newer gunship, it’s just less fun to interact with. On top of looking worse in almost every single way compared to its decade-old counterpart. 

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

Yeah, I agree with all the complaints about the new Gunship compared to the 2013 set. It's just that the older set has sky-high prices right now and would be a huge headache to part together on Bricklink, while the two set combo plus the GWP makes me feel less bad about how crappy the new Gunship actually is.

4 minutes ago, icm said:

Yeah, I agree with all the complaints about the new Gunship compared to the 2013 set. It's just that the older set has sky-high prices right now and would be a huge headache to part together on Bricklink, while the two set combo plus the GWP makes me feel less bad about how crappy the new Gunship actually is.

With it retiring this year, I’d hope a new one in the classic color scheme is around the corner. Releasing a niche gunship after a ten year drought, and then releasing a classic gunship shortly after seems like a good opportunity for Lego to “double dip” the market. Much fewer people would be interested in the Coruscant variant if they already had their hands on an updated classic one. 

Posted (edited)

I'd hope so too, but I wouldn't count on it. It's not like there's new media to prompt them to push out a standard version one year after the variant, the way new media prompted a new (mostly) standard Falcon one year after the variant version in 2018/19.

Edit, it's not like they followed up the variant AT-TE from Rebels in 2016 with a new standard AT-TE in 2017. We had to wait until 2022 for that.

Edited by icm

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, icm said:

I'd hope so too, but I wouldn't count on it. It's not like there's new media to prompt them to push out a standard version one year after the variant, the way new media prompted a new (mostly) standard Falcon one year after the variant version in 2018/19.

Edit, it's not like they followed up the variant AT-TE from Rebels in 2016 with a new standard AT-TE in 2017. We had to wait until 2022 for that.

There was no media prompting an AT-TE to release in 2022, and there was most certainly absolutely nothing to prompt Lego to release a niche rendition of the gunship in 2023. 2020 onwards has been a renaissance for clone sets, driven by fan demand, and that’s really the only impetus it needs. It takes 1-2 years for Lego to take feedback and manifest it into sets, we’ve definitely seen them doing that as of late. The at-te and gunship aren’t quite as iconic and deserving of evergreen status as an x-wing or falcon (which would still release without any media prompting), but they’re certainly in the tier below that, which is why the walker isn’t retiring until 2025 at the earliest, and why the gunship has received a UCS set and playset (which is underperforming due to its niche status and poor size). 

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

And don't get me wrong, there are totally things to complain about with lego. There are a number of heavily overpriced sets, and there are of course a number of nitpicks. But a lot of people seem to be unironically extremely upset about really minor, odd, or straight-up good things. Why would anyone want a worse GWP?

1 hour ago, icm said:

I agree- the guard gunship messed up our chances at a standard system one.

And yet we still dare to dream there may be a standard Falcon in '25.

I don't usually sell my older sets when I buy the newer versions, but if Lego follows the 2023 Coruscant Guard Gunship with a standard Republic Gunship in 2025 I would strongly consider selling the 2023 model to buy the 2025 version.

Not saying more because that's wish-listing. Back on topic, I think the UCS TIE Interceptor V2 is stunning. It's a much better showcase of the improved shape and detail you can get in large models than the UCS X-wing v3 is. I'm not a UCS collector, but if I was this would absolutely go on my buy list.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And don't get me wrong, there are totally things to complain about with lego. There are a number of heavily overpriced sets, and there are of course a number of nitpicks. But a lot of people seem to be unironically extremely upset about really minor, odd, or straight-up good things. Why would anyone want a worse GWP?

I agree- the guard gunship messed up our chances at a standard system one.

I heard somewhere that Disney wanted Lego to make it the Guard version since I think Hasbro did one too, hopefully we get a normal one next year since it did appear in Episode 3 and The Mandalorian.

The new ucs tie interceptor looks really good, I love the interior the most, such a cool thing I wasn't expecting to get. The wing builds are also really well done. I feel like I'm the only guy who thinks the cockpit section looks kinda blocky. specifically around the widnshield area where they have that angled assmebly of the 2x2 and 1x2 slopes. I think it might just be the flatness of that windshield piece because it really doesn't bother me from the back even though it's the exact same assembly and I actually think it's looks quite great from the top angle. I wish there was a more head on picture because it might just be the angle. 

Alot of things to love about the new Interceptor, leaps and bounds above the original. I wish they included a dead on view, those gaps just irk me with the angles they chose, while I respect the techniques to achieve roundness. I think I am actually happier with the 75438 version, especially for the price, it even has some smoothness incorporated into the wings. At least its $10 less that the recent UCS, maybe down the line once I can see it in person.

It probably doesn't help that I have Mirko's Tie Silencer as well, while not quite the same ship, way better looking than this new version.

9 hours ago, OCD_Chad said:

I like the UCS Interceptor but that angle on the stand sucks.  I want to see the front without having to put it on a low shelf.  I guess I'll just flip it around like with the UCS X-wing.

I’m not buying the set, but I completely agree. It’s a real weird angle. I feel like it would look a lot better at a flat 90 degree angle, or if they tilted it to one of the sides rather than upwards. The pointing to the sky looks weird and would be difficult to fit on a shelf.