Sign in to follow this  
Clickseffect

Experienced moc designers here for hire?

10 minutes ago, Milan said:

We try not to endorse other brands on the Technic forum, so we'll move this to the community section, where such discussion is okay.

Thank you.

Hey........I would have recommended you to look for my models, but pretty much none is that size and none will fit with a trailer, especially esthetically (they look bad with a trailer).

You can try to talk to GooberReboot (he is mostly active on Telegram - his group speaks only russian but you can translate the text; moreover, you can find his socials in the description of his every video; he speaks english if needed) if you really want to have a new model (but beware, it is not so cheap and depends a lot on what you want, as others said) or you can look among his models, he has some off-roaders.

Again, as suggested by others, look for off-roaders on Rebrickable - you will find something for sure that will help to make your own model or to find someone to make it for you.

Edited by Lixander

4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

But what a MOC that would be!   :laugh:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  I thought as much.  But the point stands.   Creating a MOC is truly a long, lengthy process. 

I can’t comment on the number of actual hours, but there are two in the SW section (and I feel like you may know them since I do see you post from time to time there) that I feel could qualify:

1400mm xwing

13ft star destroyer

I think it is a valid question. You want to build a business. You don't have to have all the expertise yourself.

Even a small business can require so many skills, it would be mad to master them all: tax laws, website programming, graphic designer, warehouse manager, social media promoter ... If you are good at some of them, you hire people for the rest. Some of the most successful business owners even contributed nothing to the product, their only skill was to bring the right people together.

So maybe you are good at sourcing parts and fulfilling orders, so it's natural you want to task someone with designing models.

The amount of money this is going to cost can vary by large amounts. Someone might be able to put together something on a single day, but this would probably not meet your quality standards. And on the other end a very perfectionist designer might spend a month or more working full time on the model, which is maybe more than you can afford. Also how much the designer is going to cost can very by the region that he lives in and the living costs this person has. In many countries a good price per hour for freelance work would be approximately 100 Euros. So working a week at 40 hours could already cost you 4000 Euros.

But lets look at the price from another perspective. If the designer would sell the instructions on rebrickable, he could also make money easily. A 2000 to 3000 parts model instruction can cost maybe 15 to 20 Euros on average. Now if we would expect a low to medium amount of sales, lets say 50 customers, that would be 20*50 = 1000 Euro income. But of course when the designer sells his design exclusively to you, he will not profit anymore if the model is a real success and customer numbers go high. So he has to calculate with an above medium success rate at least. Whether this number of customers can be reached is then your risk as a reseller of the design. An above medium success rate for a moc at rebrickable can maybe mean approximately 500 customers. This would mean 20*500 = 10.000 Euro income.

So from this perspective a designer would probably charge you 10.000 Euro for the design of this model, because this is the amount of money he would expect in a slightly above medium success rate of the moc at rebrickable over the course of maybe 5 years.

Most people who ask for custom designs are not aware that the rational price for such a service is considerably high. I hope you are aware of the amount of money you will have to offer someone.

Edited by Gumalca

32 minutes ago, KevinMD said:

I can’t comment on the number of actual hours, but there are two in the SW section (and I feel like you may know them since I do see you post from time to time there) that I feel could qualify:

1400mm xwing

13ft star destroyer

I still doubt it.  Which, at this point, the issue is moot given the comment I was referring to from another member ("10,000+ hours") was admittedly stated in error. 

But still, its fun to speculate  :wink:

10,000 hours would more or less be five years of full-time (40 hr/week) work.   So, even if a project took 5 years, I highly doubt full-time work was dedicated to it (who has that type of time??).  Even if it took 10 years, that is more or less 20hours a week, more or less, for that whole time span - which again, I don't know folks with that amount of time.  

Even the OP for the Star Destroyer thread (which undoubtedly is the larger of the two projects you referred to) stated at the beginning how much estimated time he/she had spent on their project.  Roughly one tenth of the required dedication to qualify for the topic being debated (1,000 hours versus 10,000 hours).  

Another problem to consider if someone were to actually spend 10,000+ hours on a MOC is  the speed at which Lego elements evolve and new ones are released.  It someone took 10 years to build a MOC, I am sure the process would be frustrating but perhaps no more than for the reason that the element palette one would start with at year 1 would be completely different than the element palette by year 10.  One would have to keep building and rebuilding the MOC if they wanted their MOC to resemble contemporary building techniques and pieces.  Again, let that sink in.  In a ten year history, not just are elements evolving but entirely new building techniques are evolving when using such a liberal time span.  As is being shown in the Technic subforum, with all it's wonderful contests being managed by our wonderful Admin folks (plug for @Jim and @Milan)  what was possible in 2013 is very different from what is possible in 2023.  Especially in the "looks" category with the ever-evolving palette of panels in the Technic genre.  At least for Technic builds, we have also  underwent complete transformations of not just elements, but element groups (drive train elements, gears, etc., electronic and control systems, etc.).  

You can expect to pay 6000-10000€, depending on what level of details and functions needs to be achieved.

1:18 scale for an offroader sounds a bit small for me (supposing something like a real car), not many functions can be fit into that scale (due to parts availability). Below 1:12 it already gets tricky/hacky I guess. Or is it something completely extraordinary you have in mind?

Are you thinking in terms of an RC vehicle? The lights already suppose the existence of power source..

On 8/16/2023 at 8:30 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Another problem to consider if someone were to actually spend 10,000+ hours on a MOC is  the speed at which Lego elements evolve and new ones are released.  It someone took 10 years to build a MOC, I am sure the process would be frustrating but perhaps no more than for the reason that the element palette one would start with at year 1 would be completely different than the element palette by year 10. 

Hahaa! You hit the nail! 
Every new part released creates millions of new possibilites on how to improve an already designed areas of ongoing models :D 
If you are making a long term project one good idea might be not to look at new part releases! :)