Are we pretty sure that the “black spaceship” Moments set will be released next year instead of this October? I’m kinda surprised that we have a description of that set that early if it’s suppsoed to be released in April or May 2024. 

6 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Are we pretty sure that the “black spaceship” Moments set will be released next year instead of this October? I’m kinda surprised that we have a description of that set that early if it’s suppsoed to be released in April or May 2024. 

@Brick Clicker said either October ‘23 or April ‘24. 

1 minute ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

@Brick Clicker said either October ‘23 or April ‘24. 

Yes I know. I was just impressed that we already got a vague descprtion of the Moments set early if it would  be cheduled to be released in April next year while other sets (GWPs and  CMF) don’t have any descriptions other (except for GWPs’ set names). 

I just think it’s strange. 

Just now, Lion King said:

Yes I know. I was just impressed that we already got a vague descprtion of the Moments set early if it would  be cheduled to be released in April next year while other sets (GWPs and  CMF) don’t have any descriptions other (except for GWPs’ set names). 

I just think it’s strange. 

It is a bit odd; one theory that I have is that since there are two Moments sets coming out (10391 Space and 10392 ????), the release dates may have gotten confused. That is, 10391 might release in October and then 10392 in April (since I do not think that we have a release date for the latter). 

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Instagram. 

I can't see where the former information would be corrected.

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I think that the Renegade is the most likely option - No other set fits the description of “large black spaceship” as well it does (the SP1 sets would probably be described as blue and black, while SP2 is mostly grey). The Battrax is not going to be a 966-piece set; not only is it too small a vehicle to be reimagined faithfully at that size, it would not have been described as a spaceship. I could see it being one of the GWPs, though. 

I think too it is the most probable option. I hope we will not be deceived.

Maybe a remake of the Battrax in addition should be too much, even as a GWP. It would be three Blacktron I sets... They should cover other factions and Space LEGO Space timelines.

So, it would makes sense that 10392 be Medieval Market ?

Edited by Khargeust

Just now, Khargeust said:

So, it would makes sense that 10392 be Medieval Market ?

That depends on what the Moments subtheme turns out to be - If it is a remake line, then 10392 would not be the Medieval Market (as the market is a new design). 

It is a bit odd; one theory that I have is that since there are two Moments sets coming out (10391 Space and 10392 ????), the release dates may have gotten confused. That is, 10391 might release in October and then 10392 in April (since I do not think that we have a release date for the latter). 

That could be possible. Let’s hope someoee reliable and/or BrickClicker have more info to clear up confusion eventually.

That depends on what the Moments subtheme turns out to be - If it is a remake line, then 10392 would not be the Medieval Market (as the market is a new design). 

You're right.

Just now, Lion King said:

That could be possible. Let’s hope someoee reliable and/or BrickClicker have more info to clear up confusion eventually.

I assume that he will provide more information as soon as he gets it. 

3 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I assume that he will provide more information as soon as he gets it. 

We shall see! 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I don´t think it will be a product line with only remakes, but also sets like the Lion Knights Castle, which are an homage on old themes. 

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

True! It also could be a profitability issue - Large sets like the Lion Knights’ Castle, Galaxy Explorer, and Eldorado Fortress may have wide enough appeal (and cost enough) that LEGO feels that they can make money from a standard release. Small-medium throwback sets might not be as profitable that way, so LEGO makes them GWPs with high thresholds to capitalise on the nostalgic-with-endless-money crowd. 

The two smaller GWPs (Forest Hideout and Blacktron Cruiser) have been far my favourite of the remakes, adapting well to modern pieces. The bigger sets you mention have all seemed padded out to a greater or lesser extent  (presumably as you say for money making purposes) and I think actually look more cluttered, busy and indeed ugly as a result.

It will be interesting to see how much nostalgia the Lego market will tolerate and how Lego move on from direct remakes. The number of "iconic" individual sets is actually quite low, with the two most obvious spaceships being done already.

7 minutes ago, Ruthin Road said:

The bigger sets you mention have all seemed padded out to a greater or lesser extent  (presumably as you say for money making purposes) and I think actually look more cluttered, busy and indeed ugly as a result.

Really? I do not see that - The Galaxy Explorer especially is extremely sleek, IMO! 

9 minutes ago, Ruthin Road said:

It will be interesting to see how much nostalgia the Lego market will tolerate and how Lego move on from direct remakes. The number of "iconic" individual sets is actually quite low, with the two most obvious spaceships being done already.

The two most obvious ships have already been made? I must have missed the Deep Freeze Defender remake! 

9 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Really? I do not see that - The Galaxy Explorer especially is extremely sleek, IMO!

The two most obvious ships have already been made? I must have missed the Deep Freeze Defender remake! 

Yes, I think my opinion of the Galaxy Explorer is in the minority! It seems overengineered to me, interesting building techniques but done to be complicated rather than necessary, and not adding to the form or function of the set. Should probably post my opinion on another thread rather than risk derailing this one!

Sorry, I should clarify that use of obvious in terms of being a practical and profitable set rather than not being worthy of a remake. Deep Freeze Defender is great and I would like a remake, but Lego seem to have discontinued trans-neon orange, it would need a few special moulds and it might be a bit too "young" to be in peak nostalgia profit territory as yet. Similarly M-Tron is memorable but any remake would presumably need to do without the magnets for safety reasons, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

13 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I think that the Renegade is the most likely option - No other set fits the description of “large black spaceship” as well it does (the SP1 sets would probably be described as blue and black, while SP2 is mostly grey). The Battrax is not going to be a 966-piece set; not only is it too small a vehicle to be reimagined faithfully at that size, it would not have been described as a spaceship. I could see it being one of the GWPs, though. 

Probably. Well, here's to making Renegade sleek and boring, I guess? Something like the Aerial Intruder would lend itself much better to a modernized version I'd think.

6 hours ago, Ruthin Road said:

The two smaller GWPs (Forest Hideout and Blacktron Cruiser) have been far my favourite of the remakes, adapting well to modern pieces. The bigger sets you mention have all seemed padded out to a greater or lesser extent  (presumably as you say for money making purposes) and I think actually look more cluttered, busy and indeed ugly as a result.

For me the Forest Hideout remake is a clear indication that new Lego designers don't really understand what made these old sets appealing. That was one of my favorite sets as a kid, but when I saw the remake, it was a hard pass.

I think I could probably fill a page or two on everything that's wrong with the remake.

I can think of several highly regarded spaceships they can make, not to mention other vehicles and stuff.

5 hours ago, Ruthin Road said:

Yes, I think my opinion of the Galaxy Explorer is in the minority! It seems overengineered to me, interesting building techniques but done to be complicated rather than necessary, and not adding to the form or function of the set. Should probably post my opinion on another thread rather than risk derailing this one!

Sorry, I should clarify that use of obvious in terms of being a practical and profitable set rather than not being worthy of a remake. Deep Freeze Defender is great and I would like a remake, but Lego seem to have discontinued trans-neon orange, it would need a few special moulds and it might be a bit too "young" to be in peak nostalgia profit territory as yet. Similarly M-Tron is memorable but any remake would presumably need to do without the magnets for safety reasons, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

I found the Galaxy Explorer surprisingly (in a good way) simple compared to other 18+ sets I've been building. There was (comparably) very few tiny pieces, just bricks and plates, old school style.

DFD has interesting shaping, but I'm not sure how they would translate the colors into an 18+ set nowadays.

For the same reason, I'm not sure why magnets would be a problem for grown ups. Maybe Lego would refuse to make them, sure, but there are plenty of toys that would be dangerous for kids and that are sold with warnings.

7 hours ago, Merlo said:

For the same reason, I'm not sure why magnets would be a problem for grown ups. Maybe Lego would refuse to make them, sure, but there are plenty of toys that would be dangerous for kids and that are sold with warnings.

I believe current U.S. laws (at least, don't know about EU or other countries' regulations) about magnets in toys (requiring them to be physically large enough to avoid ingestion) apply to ALL toys or entertainment products whether or not they're aimed specifically at kids. Also, while Lego has branched into sets that are labeled 18+ for their audience or complexity, I'm not sure they'd want to make parts that are less physically safe for kids even if those were restricted to 18+ sets. After all, one well-known aspect of Lego is the preservation of its quality even secondhand, and there'd be no guarantee that parts bought for adults wouldn't potentially find their way to kids.

That makes sense, but keep in mind Lego - in its core - is already the kind of toy that is dangerous to young kids that might swallow it. Some elements in particular would be really really bad in this scenario.

Edited by Merlo

41 minutes ago, Merlo said:

That makes sense, but keep in mind Lego - in its core - is already the kind of toy that is dangerous to young kids that might swallow it. Some elements in particular would be really really bad in this scenario.

Sure, there's a reason even the most kid-targeted Lego sets are restricted to four years of age and up. But most Lego parts that are small enough to accidentally swallow could probably pass through a kid's digestive system without lasting damage in a worst-case scenario. By comparison, the damage magnets can do can be pretty grisly.

And again, this isn't merely a matter of proactively looking out for kids—there are actual legal restrictions in that would prevent Lego from producing and selling M-Tron-style magnets in sets today. In the U.S., that means that magnets must either be too large to swallow (hence why most modern Lego magnetic parts are fully encased in non-removable plastic), or must be magnetically weak enough that they'd be unlikely to risk severe damage if swallowed (a limitation that would likely compromise M-Tron-style magnetic functions that require a certain amount of strength to consistently lift a given amount of weight).

I've thought a lot about how you could recreate M-Tron-esque functionality in modern sets using magnetic parts that satisfy current safety standards, but ultimately I don't know if you could do so in a way that truly satisfies the nostalgia necessary for classic set remakes/homages like the recent ones in the Space and Castle themes. Modern magnetic parts are quite bulky and trying to fit them into those sorts of classic functions would require major aesthetic compromises.

I know of a way that's not great, but would work. Some Lego parts are encased in protective shells. Make an unopenable shell for the magnet that's too big to swallow. We'd have a part that's bigger than it needs to be, but better than no sets at all.

28 minutes ago, Merlo said:

I know of a way that's not great, but would work. Some Lego parts are encased in protective shells. Make an unopenable shell for the magnet that's too big to swallow. We'd have a part that's bigger than it needs to be, but better than no sets at all.

LEGO already did that for two City sets in 2020 (this part and this part). 

40 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I've thought a lot about how you could recreate M-Tron-esque functionality in modern sets using magnetic parts that satisfy current safety standards, but ultimately I don't know if you could do so in a way that truly satisfies the nostalgia necessary for classic set remakes/homages like the recent ones in the Space and Castle themes. Modern magnetic parts are quite bulky and trying to fit them into those sorts of classic functions would require major aesthetic compromises.

I actually think that the modern pieces could look good, and in some cases even better than the originals. The latest magnet piece has a very rugged, industrial appearance that suits the mining/transport/rescue theme of M;Tron quite well; additionally, the magnet on the crane in the Mega Core Magnetizer feels far too small, so the current piece would actually look better/more proportional. 

Why is everyone saying "Lego can't do that" because some trans-neon parts are retired? Why couldn't they recreate new ones?

If one day we get a well done reboot of the 6989 Mega Core Magnetizer, then I could die in peace. :pir_tong2:

59 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I actually think that the modern pieces could look good, and in some cases even better than the originals. The latest magnet piece has a very rugged, industrial appearance that suits the mining/transport/rescue theme of M;Tron quite well; additionally, the magnet on the crane in the Mega Core Magnetizer feels far too small, so the current piece would actually look better/more proportional. 

I agree, I see no problem using the new magnets for M:Tron, although obviously you'd have to recolor the yellow part.

20 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

Why is everyone saying "Lego can't do that" because some trans-neon parts are retired? Why couldn't they recreate new ones?

They can. People completely overblow the cost and complexity of cranking out parts in whatever color is needed.