CDKiii

[ENTRY] Start small (Mini Set) (new version)

sorry for the disturbance.

So Rick One Eye, fed up with the fact that he had to obey to REDBEARD, use his saving to buy a ship and become captain.

But he used to spend all of his incomes to the pirate's inn, so he was only able to buy a little pinnace, and a 1 pound gun. He is now free to sail and attack all merchant ships cruising in his domain.

53106895019_9880f61cf7.jpgprojet mini pirate boite by LA BRIQUE  DE CAMBRONNE, sur Flickr

53107103435_bc4b948a18.jpgprojet mini pirate_7 by LA BRIQUE  DE CAMBRONNE, sur Flickr

53106118587_cafeb6bf9e.jpgprojet mini pirate_8 by LA BRIQUE  DE CAMBRONNE, sur Flickr "ATTACKS ....."

53106118522_35da55c13e.jpgprojet mini pirate_6 by LA BRIQUE  DE CAMBRONNE, sur Flickr the abuse of alchool is dangerous for your health.

I had some troubles with the counting method of stud.io, because submodels count as 1 part. So i redisigned it, removing some play features (fishing stick, fish, some cannon ball) to make it reach the rules.

Critics, fire free......

Edited by CDKiii

5 hours ago, CDKiii said:

53106118522_35da55c13e.jpg

This is a fine little boat set to be sure!

But is there any particular reason you opted for a brick built sail? 

Is it because it's hard to achieve fabric sails in Stud.io?

The ship looks awesome, my only critique is that figurehead, I would swap it out for a skeleton head (although I don't think they have it in stud.io) and I belive that the arms of the figure head need a redesign. Anyway, Happy building :)

31 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

This is a fine little boat set to be sure!

But is there any particular reason you opted for a brick built sail? 

Is it because it's hard to achieve fabric sails in Stud.io?

Yes it is. As it should be released some years ago, i imagined it with vinyl sails ( like in the 6351, but with a pirate look. I don't know how to make it on stud io.

13 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

The ship looks awesome, my only critique is that figurehead, I would swap it out for a skeleton head (although I don't think they have it in stud.io) and I belive that the arms of the figure head need a redesign. Anyway, Happy building :)

Do you mean make arms shorter?

2 hours ago, CDKiii said:

Do you mean make arms shorter?

Idk I would just go back and start from scratch, I will make something to show what I mean later :)

Here we go I think the arms were bothering me, it just did not look natural (although the guy is dead so...) anyway here is the photo

Screenshot (8)

Edited by Rogue Redcoat
picture

That's some entertaining stuff You got here! :) Wow, I must say I'm amazed by this design and presentation. Even this minifig, there's so much character in him! Hell, even that sail! I usualy absolutely detest most of sails that are made out of plastic, instead of a babric, but this one is sort of different, and works just fine for me :)  

I don't realy understand that thing on the front of the boat, not the figurehead, but this cannon or whatever it is. If it's a cannon indeed, then it doesn't realy work for me. And if it's something different, but i can't tell it's purpose just by looking at it, maybe it should be altered or replaced with other parts, to make a use of those pieces and make them all count.

Then there's the figurehead. It's funny, it's weird, not sure if i'm a fan of such lenghty hands, and them being armed with weapons. I understand of course that that sword and gun could be easily removed and used by our pirate fellow, if he will manage to reach them first without falling off the boar and drowning ;) But then again it surely grabs attention and no one can go around it without having his/her thoughts,so i guess it works ;) 

Still it's a pretty cool set and most importantly, it realy stands out of some other small crafts presented in this contest so far. 

1 hour ago, Mazin said:

I don't realy understand that thing on the front of the boat, not the figurehead, but this cannon or whatever it is. If it's a cannon indeed, then it doesn't realy work for me. And if it's something different, but i can't tell it's purpose just by looking at it, maybe it should be altered or replaced with other parts, to make a use of those pieces and make them all count.

Thank you for your feed back.

Yes it is a functionnal cannon (i pick one of those which lego made for starships

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15403#T=C.

It should be a mini set with playable feature, like it used to be. So i wanted to add a cannon, but it is too big, it seems awkward.

Maybe with different colors it could be better seen.

And for the figure head, i agree, i try to find out how to reduce arms length.

2 hours ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

Idk I would just go back and start from scratch, I will make something to show what I mean later :)

Here we go I think the arms were bothering me, it just did not look natural (although the guy is dead so...) anyway here is the photo

Screenshot (8)

Thank you a lot. It seems to be really better and it is what i wanted ( and 1 part less than my design)

8 hours ago, CDKiii said:

I had some troubles with the counting method of stud.io,

Perhaps you already learned this, but if you want to know true piece count in Studio.io, regardless of the numerous sub-models used, you simply click -> Model ->Model Info and in the new window, at the bottom left, is the real number of pieces.

Mind you, the legs with hips are counted in this contest as one part. Also torso+arms+hands are also considered as one part.

model-info.thumb.JPG.9d3d8f83e8e1d1a7b515f1aa1b0b7b31.JPG

10 minutes ago, Marooned Marin said:

Perhaps you already learned this, but if you want to know true piece count in Studio.io, regardless of the numerous sub-models used, you simply click -> Model ->Model Info and in the new window, at the bottom left, is the real number of pieces.

Mind you, the legs with hips are counted in this contest as one part. Also torso+arms+hands are also considered as one part.

model-info.thumb.JPG.9d3d8f83e8e1d1a7b515f1aa1b0b7b31.JPG

Ok, thanks for the tip.

I have to admire lego designers, who can easily make a mini set with 30 parts enjoyable and playable. It is the biggest challenge for this contest to make something playable with less than 50 parts.

41 minutes ago, CDKiii said:

Thank you for your feed back.

Yes it is a functionnal cannon (i pick one of those which lego made for starships

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15403#T=C.

It should be a mini set with playable feature, like it used to be. So i wanted to add a cannon, but it is too big, it seems awkward.

Maybe with different colors it could be better seen.

And for the figure head, i agree, i try to find out how to reduce arms length.

Thank you a lot. It seems to be really better and it is what i wanted ( and 1 part less than my design)

Glad to see You working on improvements :) Things can always get better :) Can't wait for updates! 

And for the cannon, maybe it would look better if it could be changed into someting firing a harpoon or a hook with a line, i mean, this character of Your is surely as weird and cunning as Jak Sparrow so he coud make a use of it. And this way it would look more attractive, as it could be used to either hunt that shark or grab onto some other vessel to ride without a ticker after some larger vessel, if our pirate is too lazy to sail himself ;)

Or perhaps an anchor could be useful? It's more than just a boat, so i guess he could park it somewhere. That is if he would be strong enough to throw it into the water and then pull it back ;) But maybe there are smaller anchors in the Lego world that coudl fir Yur set? Or maybe there could be one custom made by You? ;) 

45 minutes ago, Mazin said:

Glad to see You working on improvements :) Things can always get better :) Can't wait for updates! 

And for the cannon, maybe it would look better if it could be changed into someting firing a harpoon or a hook with a line, i mean, this character of Your is surely as weird and cunning as Jak Sparrow so he coud make a use of it. And this way it would look more attractive, as it could be used to either hunt that shark or grab onto some other vessel to ride without a ticker after some larger vessel, if our pirate is too lazy to sail himself ;)

Or perhaps an anchor could be useful? It's more than just a boat, so i guess he could park it somewhere. That is if he would be strong enough to throw it into the water and then pull it back ;) But maybe there are smaller anchors in the Lego world that coudl fir Yur set? Or maybe there could be one custom made by You? ;

If i design it, i'll get out of the contest. But i think a little grappling hook exists (if i remember a old set i had, the resQ team truck). Thanks for this idea, i admit that i seems better for a little boat like this one ( and no spare cannon ball, so more accessories for the set).

13 minutes ago, CDKiii said:

If i design it, i'll get out of the contest. But i think a little grappling hook exists (if i remember a old set i had, the resQ team truck). Thanks for this idea, i admit that i seems better for a little boat like this one ( and no spare cannon ball, so more accessories for the set).

Glad i could help and i hope i won't cause any trouble for You with my thoughts ;) Staying in the contest is the most important thing :) Plus i guess there's be plenty of people who would like this cannon anyway. Everyone got a different taste after all. Well, we will see what will come up in the end :) 

On 8/10/2023 at 7:34 PM, CDKiii said:

So Rick One Eye, [...] so he was only able to buy a little pinnace

Just wondering about the topic title "Start small mini"

Was that meant to be the final title?

Something like "Rick One Eye's Pinnace" would be more interesting.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Just wondering about the topic title "Start small mini"

Was that meant to be the final title?

Something like "Rick One Eye's Pinnace" would be more interesting.

Indeed, but i'm like Rick, i'd love to enter in the eldorado fortress contest, but i have to start small. It is the name of the boat, and i don't think there is something like hms or uss for the pirates.  And maybe i had to put parenthese around "mini"

On 8/10/2023 at 2:28 PM, CDKiii said:

I like the small cannon.  I never use them in my builds, but it works here.  I am not really a fan of the brick-built sails, and I might make the figurehead smaller (it's a challenge to build one on this size boat!).

But, all in all, this is really nice.  I'd love to see what it looks like built with physical bricks, and perhaps paper sails.  Great job, and I hope to see more stuff from you in the future!

18 hours ago, iragm said:

I like the small cannon.  I never use them in my builds, but it works here.  I am not really a fan of the brick-built sails, and I might make the figurehead smaller (it's a challenge to build one on this size boat!).

But, all in all, this is really nice.  I'd love to see what it looks like built with physical bricks, and perhaps paper sails Great job, and I hope to see more stuff from you in the future!

Thanks and me to, i prefer fabric sails. But i don't know how to make it in stud.io.

I'll cant modify figure head for now but i'll do as soon i'll be able. @Rogue Redcoat gave a nice upgrade for it. 

Not too fond of the brick built sail. It's always arguable weather digital or physical building is easier and I'm a bit surprised that most contests allow both. Anyway, sails is something that is definitely harder in studi.io maybe even at a level of making very high quality custom sails from fabric. Don't know, never gave it a go yet ... but I think that learning it if stud.io is your preferred way of building should be mandatory, especially if you wish to deliver a high quality competition entry.

Apart from that the figurehead would be my only other complaint. @Rogue Redcoat found a nice solution though I'd still give it a bit more thought, since I really liked the figurehead holding the sword. In this case the skeleton arms with both vertical holders don't exist and the sword would look weird sticking out to the side. Else I like the idea of a small set that floats and is not a raft and works well for a Pirate temporary home. It also has quite some playability with the sails, cannon and some accessories.

Somehow the figurehead is still too bulky. There must be an elegant way of doing it with just a few pieces and there was nothing wrong with the skeleton arms in the first place. They looked better than these wooden planks ...

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the figurehead in general. Figureheads are for large ships. Having one on a small sale boat seems odd.

I do like the rest of the build. Especially your little gun as it is a much more realistic size. When I see this size boat with a full cannon, I can only wonder how long before the boat capsizes.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:06 AM, CDKiii said:

Is it better? Parts count is now at 50.  The first pic or the 2nd one is the best solution?

Aye, the second one is the best so far, I have been trying a few other things but nothing great so far, so for me number 2 is the way to go.

5 hours ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

Aye, the second one is the best so far, I have been trying a few other things but nothing great so far, so for me number 2 is the way to go.

Thanks, i'll try lots of configuration, i get the same conclusion.

This might be an option for the figurehead, doesn't take too much space ...

fhex.jpg.80dd1a88948c93ed92ba24d9acc52b6c.jpg

7 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

This might be an option for the figurehead, doesn't take too much space ...

It looks great the only problem is I don't think they make that piece in white, only light grey. 

2 hours ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

It looks great the only problem is I don't think they make that piece in white, only light grey. 

The newer version comes in quite some colors among which white is also an option! But anyway building digitally still gives you an option to introduce existing pieces in new colors. I don't think it is encouraged, but it's not against the rules. I even remember someone asking about it and was approved ...