SevenDeadlyStreamers

[ENTRY] Remake of 6234 Renegade’s Raft

Here’s a remake and upgrade to the classic pirate set 6234: Renegade’s Raft.
The original set did not have sails so I gave him some makeshift palm leaves to improve his chances at escaping from that viscous shark!

36pcs not including the minifig. 

NEW IMAGE:

I used some of the feedback from the previous images to create this new and improved version. It’s hard to see the items in the crate, there is a banana, a coconut with bamboo straw and a treasure map. I also added a parrot the represents the new 3-in-1 recolour, which is one of my daughter’s favourites. Thank you to everyone who posted comments!

40pcs not including the minifig. 

Upgraded Classic Pirates MOC

Classic Pirates Mini Set Remake
(Original Image)

Edited by SevenDeadlyStreamers

A great-looking small set, I especially love the palm tree "sails", so here are my suggestions, first, it looks as if there are 2 benches for only one minifig. Second, there's no food or drink for the captain, lastly, the photos are visually unappealing, the background needs to be clearer, and at least some part so there is some depth perception, like a rock or part of the island that this man has escaped from. Anyway, happy building :) 

The use of 3 large barrels for each side of the raft is a bit out of scale with the rest of the build.  And, the 2x2 round tiles are a lot of empty space that's not terribly interesting; swapping some of them out for a round plate with studs or for a different color would add a bit of interest.  The images also don't really blend with the background; add some kind of wake effect or more detail in the background, perhaps?

Apart from these issues, this is a great build, the palm leaf sail really changes the build - in a good way.  Very clever and unique.  The oar attachment is very clever and looks great -- a lot better than the 2x1 hinge piece that's so often used.   Very nice work!

4 hours ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

A great-looking small set, I especially love the palm tree "sails", so here are my suggestions, first, it looks as if there are 2 benches for only one minifig. Second, there's no food or drink for the captain, lastly, the photos are visually unappealing, the background needs to be clearer, and at least some part so there is some depth perception, like a rock or part of the island that this man has escaped from. Anyway, happy building :) 

Good points, maybe I should’ve gave him a coconut and a straw for a drink! And I wasn’t sure about the background, I drew something quick and added blur, but I guess it does look weird. 

2 hours ago, iragm said:

The use of 3 large barrels for each side of the raft is a bit out of scale with the rest of the build.  And, the 2x2 round tiles are a lot of empty space that's not terribly interesting; swapping some of them out for a round plate with studs or for a different color would add a bit of interest.  The images also don't really blend with the background; add some kind of wake effect or more detail in the background, perhaps?

Apart from these issues, this is a great build, the palm leaf sail really changes the build - in a good way.  Very clever and unique.  The oar attachment is very clever and looks great -- a lot better than the 2x1 hinge piece that's so often used.   Very nice work!

Thanks for the feedback. I actually had the barrel tops as round studded plates first but I thought they would leak, lol. There’s a Forest Man set with only four barrels for the raft, looking at it now I could've done something like that!

16 minutes ago, SevenDeadlyStreamers said:

Good points, maybe I should’ve gave him a coconut and a straw for a drink! And I wasn’t sure about the background, I drew something quick and added blur, but I guess it does look weird. 

The coconut idea sounds great, and I would just focus on the background a little more, and then it will look awesome, I can't wait for the update :)

As others have said, the background is...weird (especially with such a , the pirate has no food (no fabled fabadas!) and no friend (human or animal), and the benches should just be removed (use barrels and crates to hold the atttachments, it'll appear more seamless and much cleaner). But overall, it's quite good, with it being surprisingly original (the leaves and the attachments), especially the asymmetrical design, well done!

Nice presentation and a well thought use of palmtrees. Combinging a vessel with elements traditionaly asociated with landscape is quite original. I wonder if it could be improved tho? Maybe, as Lego You could find ways for different uses of those plants for You pirate's journey? I mean, since there are two poles, maybe it could be turned into a hut, some sort of roof, protection from both the rain and the sun. Also our one legged friend could definitely use some sort of firepower to fight off that shark. One pistol wouldn't be too much to ask for, would it? Or maybe, as he's obviously a smart fellow, maybe he could use that shark for his own benefit, like, what if there would be a chain that the shark could grab onto, like a leash, to pull the raft? Captain Sparrow used that trick in last POTC movie, so why not this guy? ;)

Cute build.

Perhaps having an extra row of barrels then centering the actual platform might make it a bit more balanced, at the same time allowing for some extra room?

I really like the design of the raft, although it is quite larger than the original with the use of barrels. The uncentered plate on top gives it a great asymmetrical look as it's probably been built in a hurry as the sails suggest which are a highlight of this set. And as for a quickly built raft with not many resources why take the time to create benches? I'm not too fond of those and I'd skip the crate as well. Make the rudder connect the same way as the sail in V2 on the other side. Rafts were used to reach another not so distant shore and were not meant for long sea voyages. Everything looks a bit too cramped on that small plate at the moment. I guess this is the build where less is more is applicable.

On 8/16/2023 at 3:08 AM, MstrOfPppts said:

I really like the design of the raft, although it is quite larger than the original with the use of barrels. The uncentered plate on top gives it a great asymmetrical look as it's probably been built in a hurry as the sails suggest which are a highlight of this set. And as for a quickly built raft with not many resources why take the time to create benches? I'm not too fond of those and I'd skip the crate as well. Make the rudder connect the same way as the sail in V2 on the other side. Rafts were used to reach another not so distant shore and were not meant for long sea voyages. Everything looks a bit too cramped on that small plate at the moment. I guess this is the build where less is more is applicable.

The crate is a little big for the raft, I just wanted to hold the items but maybe the food items could sit in a bowl instead. Thanks for the comments!

On 8/16/2023 at 3:08 AM, MstrOfPppts said:

Rafts were used to reach another not so distant shore and were not meant for long sea voyages.

Aye, but what if he was shipwrecked and needs to escape the island, anyway @SevenDeadlyStreamers I love the new parrot, and the way all the gear is packed on there for a long journey :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             But, how in the world did your Photoshop skills go from meh, to AMAZING !?

I agree with some of the discussion about the barrels. The proportions of the height of the build by the width of the build make it seem a bit top heavy. Additional width would help some with that. (It might just be the viewing angle but that's my take from the current picture.)

On 8/20/2023 at 9:08 PM, durazno33 said:

I agree with some of the discussion about the barrels. The proportions of the height of the build by the width of the build make it seem a bit top heavy. Additional width would help some with that. (It might just be the viewing angle but that's my take from the current picture.)

Definitely, I learned a lot from this entry and my previous one (King Kahuka’s Throne). All the comments on this forum have been really helpful and I appreciate all the feedback. Next contest I’ll be bringing my A game!

21 minutes ago, Mazin said:

I'm probably boring You right now, @Mister Phes , but i think this one got lost too... 

Boring? Nay - you're saving me the effort of doing this myself!

Actually, I'm thoroughly impressed by your level of dedication. :pir-huzzah2:

8 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Boring? Nay - you're saving me the effort of doing this myself!

Actually, I'm thoroughly impressed by your level of dedication. :pir-huzzah2:

Thanx! I guess a lot of these folks thought that their entries will authomatically find their ways in the Index or something ;) Besides, i don't like idea of my reviewing something that will get lost due to technicality ;) And i had a lot of them bookmarked, tho of course, annoyingly enough, i seem to have problems with those bookmarks now, cause some of those adresses changed their names ;) 

Edited by Mazin

2 minutes ago, Mazin said:

Besides, i don't like idea of my reviewing something that will get lost due to technicality ;)

It's not so much they got lost, it's more that I just hadn't got around to sifting through all the entries due to the sheer volume and various other things needed to be updated.

You'll notice there hasn't been any voting open announcements or promotion yet... which is for that very reason.

But you've greatly accelerated the process and I thank ye immensely!

5 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

It's not so much they got lost, it's more that I just hadn't got around to sifting through all the entries due to the sheer volume and various other things needed to be updated.

You'll notice there hasn't been any voting open announcements or promotion yet... which is for that very reason.

But you've greatly accelerated the process and I thank ye immensely!

Thanx. I've made a note on an idea that could perhaps help with the voting process in the thread about voting rules... 

HERE ARE MY FINAL THOUGHTS AND REASONS WHY I'VE DECIDED TO RANK THIS SET AT THE 2ND PLACE IN THE MINI SET BUILDING CATEGORY

As with all other sets i've nominated my goald was to pick those sets that could provide a great playability, even without any others sets around, and that would enchance the Lego experience when combined, not to mention looking legit enough to pass as the legit Lego set.

And this one got it all, it may not be anything new, the raft itself is sorta weird and how many times have we seen the shark-pirate-raft lineup, right? But still, should Lego Pirates return this dish a classic and seems almost as obligatory set to be reintroduced with every new year. And it's just great, it's simple, it's cheap, but how appealing, and i i think it would guarantee lots of fun to it's kid owners. You can play with the new intruiguing pirate, battling with the shark, protecting his craft with a rudder, or throwing contents of that case at it. He could also eaily use his raft as a mini hideout , thatn to does barrels and palm leaves, that he could turn into a mini roof or a simple umbrella, to protect him from either the sun or rain. And lastly, there's a parrot, a pink one, and i think that what could actually draw fans into buying it. Cause being pink this parrot is a unique character or item within the franchise, and collectors would definitely have to get it, not to mention that i could be an awesome sidekick.

Besides, the build is somewhat new, i know it's called a remake, but it's different enough to be an original, thus it's a great unique design within the line. 

Edited by Mazin