JopieK

[ENTRY] 6500 A Promiscuous Sailor Captain (Mini Set)

MOC 6500 A Promiscuous Sailor Captain

Encouraged by the complements of you guys I tried another one :) 

promiscuous_sailor_meeting.png

Captain Bluecoat met a nice lady somewhere in the harbor. They agreed to meet under the lantern near the pier. He was so excited by the nice lady that his pants dropped (or did he just forget his belt?!).

Part count: 39

But then again...

Spoiler

promiscuous_sailor_hiding.png

It was a trap! An evil pirate lurking behind the crates...

promiscuous_sailor_hiding_pirate.png

Ready to jump out and assassinate our poor captain...

Wasn't done yet indeed, fighting with the spoiler tag... Well I tried to keep it a little promiscuous but decently enough for a little wider public. But again I don't think LEGO would transform it in to a real set. 

I am really digging these vignettes -- they are great exercises in visual storytelling.  The build that goes with this one is a bit too simplistic (to the point that there isn't much to critique), and it would never be a real set, so I'm not sure it fits the contest.  Regardless, I hope you continue to make these, they are a treat to look at!

Nice! It's not as great as the previous one with a captain and animals, but still appealing. I'd like to see this set from different angles tho, if that's possible :) So far Your characters and the lantern take all the attention, and it's hard to tell what's behind them :)

Also, since You're pretty good with visual backgrounds I think this presentation would only gain if You'd place this set during the night, perhaps also wet and/or foggy environment, to turn this date into sort of taking place in stereotypic image of Britan or colonial New England ;) 

As you yourself know, the setting is... inappropriate. But it does the job quite well and tells a story without needing to spell out almost anything. I would like to see some coblestone pattern of some soet with a 12 more pieces or so on the floor.

Haha, now with the small category we get some yet unexplored areas in the Pirates sets series. First I thought that the lady of the night was a bit inappropriate for a LEGO set, but then I scrolled down and found that they are not alone - assassination! No matter the motive of the build, I'd love to see such small sets in the Pirates theme. A cheap way of getting some new minifigure prints for the theme. As for the build, I only think that the top of the lantern is a bit too simple for a more modern LEGO set, as it doesn't seem to follow the older classic style.

On 8/7/2023 at 4:28 PM, JopieK said:

MOC 6500 A Promiscuous Sailor Captain

A nice small entry (although Lego would never come out with it) the backstory is good but I still have some suggestions here they are. First I think all the crates would look better in the dark tan (perhaps there could be something inside like rum). But wait is there something in the bag it moves from the first to the second picture? Anyway, the lamp could be redone it looks a bit simplistic, other than that your scenes look great, happy building :)

And about the tag at first I was unsure whether it was a moc or an entry, could ya fix the tag ;)

...I'd say it needs a play feature, or more backstory.

Little did Captain Bluecoat know, the 'Nice Lady' was in fact under the employ of Captain Redbeard; and had planned to ambush him that evening. The bait is set and the trap is primed, and all the Nice lady had to do was give the signal, and the trap would be sprung, and Captain Bluecoat would be caught, quite literally, with his pants down...

MFW I reveal the hidden part of the post, outlining this.

I retract my previous critique; it is perfect. Save for a play feature; like a lever you pull to make the crates behind Captain Bluecoat topple or something. at the very least some coins hidden in a barrel.

Edited by JeffBuilds