Sign in to follow this  
jorgeopesi

[WIP] Some kind of single arm wheel loader

First of all I started this MOC just due the audi 42160 wheels. I bought mine one week ago so I do not have them yet... that is why I am using the zetros wheels. They are a little bit wider so I think the new ones will fit perfectly if I do not have any surprises with the measures... For now we have a manual MOC with pendular suspension, two diffs, gearbox to alternate between the two functions of the arm and a simple steering mechanism. I am being faster that I use to be because I started it last thursday so I am quite happy with the result until now. My next goals are choose the reference machine that could be a caterpillar 992 or 988 and based on that do it the corresponding engine a v12 or V8, I also think to do another little gearbox if I have enough room to operate the machine more faster without load but I hope not to have room enough :wink: . Problems right now are that the machine has more travel that the real one in comparison... but it is a small problem because I usually see just the opposite problem and that is a serious problem for me at least...

pQtSC7j.jpg

2MNXffY.jpg

hIhI5DS.jpg

zXuqN79.jpg

ZLhSVWw.jpg

Edited by jorgeopesi

I don't think it is to small for RC...4 motors could be squizzed insided... I also wait for those new tires; they will be perfect for my Unimog (and shorter CV joint for my Fastrac because older CV joint is just to loose and steered wheels get missaligned).

Looking forward to see another optimized loader...

Edited by 1gor

Thank you, believe me it is too small for a RC decent version and you are right, a lot of people are waiting for those wheels, specially purists :laugh: , my last set over one hundred euros was the unimog I am saying everything with that... but I also think that the 42160 is the best Lego set piece by piece to buy for years.

You could be right with 42160 because it has lots of unique parts (if we ignore pu) like wheels, tires new wheel hubs, shorter (stronger) CV joints (the thing that I needed to finaly make Fastrac as I always wanted), panels...

My last set was 42095 (if I remember correctly)

(but it was some 50€, and over 100€ was 42043)

...42054 was on discont about 100€...

12 minutes ago, 1gor said:

You could be right with 42160 because it has lots of unique parts (if we ignore pu) like wheels, tires new wheel hubs, shorter (stronger) CV joints (the thing that I needed to finaly make Fastrac as I always wanted), panels...

My last set was 42095 (if I remember correctly)

(but it was some 50€, and over 100€ was 42043)

...42054 was on discont about 100€...

Do not forget the gear diffs another expensive parts, I would have to buy another if I think more on it.

1 minute ago, jorgeopesi said:

Do not forget the gear diffs another expensive parts, I would have to buy another if I think more on it.

I use them on my Fastrac prototype powered by coupled XL motors. Motors are upgeared from 40 tooth to 24, and go directly to those yellow diffefentials. I'm also using reduction hubs. Currently it is on standstil waiting for shorter CV joints (from Audi) to ba available to make proper 4 wheel steering. Fastrac will be my only model with those diffs; have 30 old 4L, about 15 gray 3L and 5 ones from Zetros, so lots of things that can be done; and yes 3 red 4L from 42070 (2 of them will be in my Syntrac, but first I have to fix one XL motor; have only 3 operational)

New wheels and they fit perfectly so I have a machine that can be used with 3 kind of tyres, audi, zetros and the old ones from the 8265 set. I was be able to put inside a V12 engine so it will be a caterpillar 992k that gives me the chance to do a wheel dozer version like Superkoala did with his loader.

Hvu48hM.jpg

NunDvqi.jpg

e8IZhv0.jpg

Wow *oh2* they look extraordinary; I can hardly await when they will be available to order them

19 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Wow *oh2* they look extraordinary; I can hardly await when they will be available to order them

They are very good but I think they will be even better for trucks or all terrain vehicules. I am thinking of some kind of dakar truck, with all the new parts make a very capable truck It would not be a dream.

Wheels look so good!

Also nice you squeezed in the 12 cylinder fake motor.

The bucket actuation looks strange, but geometry works really well it seems :-)

32 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

They are very good but I think they will be even better for trucks or all terrain vehicules. I am thinking of some kind of dakar truck, with all the new parts make a very capable truck It would not be a dream.

IMHO they are perfect for this...so this is what I plan to make after Fastrac...but even to finish it I need one more order..

Edited by 1gor

6 hours ago, Jundis said:

Wheels look so good!

Also nice you squeezed in the 12 cylinder fake motor.1e

The bucket actuation looks strange, but geometry works really well it seems :-)

I am not very good at making cabins so I decided to work hard on a V12 that makes me have a bigger machine that needs a smaller cabin 🤣. The central actuator had to be longer to have a less complicated linkage like in the real machine, but It works very well that It is the important for me.

On 8/9/2023 at 6:40 PM, Thirdwigg said:

Looks great, and the new tires are perfect!

Thank you I think that we would have to open a new thread just for the new tires :laugh: ,

More progress but more slow because they are aesthetics :sadnew: . The cabin should be a stud higher I think and I changed all the arm mechanism one stud forward, the only new thing is that I was be able to put the gearbox lever inside the cabin which is a good detail.

9hJBoQC.jpg

R4AwzEh.jpg

More progress again, I put two gears together in the manual mechanism so you can change the strongh of the arm and bucket, I do not know yet if it will be useful but for the moment I let it, the engine is removable and you can see the axle of the steering and of the other gearbox near where the cabin will be, all the back part is only an aproach but I like.

vHgymGW.jpg

DfV8RvC.jpg

Nu0VZ6s.jpg

Qe85n3A.jpg

Edited by jorgeopesi

I still fighting with it... I have to do it a new cabin and more details but there is something I do not like, some scale mistake I can not see yet, maybe the arm is too long but the real one has it too. I am using the zetros wheels and if I use the audi wheels I can remove one half bush of each axle having a narrower machine.

bc6j5rv.jpg

v8Ohfjf.jpg

FnCMfVp.jpg

DtNsyOI.jpg

The function switch in the cabin (!) is really cool :-)

Did you think of some kind of locking system for the articulated steering?

Another idea for the design: Could you fit in the small 3x3 panel right behind the rear wheels insteat of the combination of connectors?

The new wheels look way better here in my opinion, can't wait to get my hands on them :-P

18 minutes ago, Jundis said:

The function switch in the cabin (!) is really cool :-)

Did you think of some kind of locking system for the articulated steering?

Another idea for the design: Could you fit in the small 3x3 panel right behind the rear wheels insteat of the combination of connectors?

The new wheels look way better here in my opinion, can't wait to get my hands on them :-P

Thank you, you are right on everything. I wanted to use a linear actuator but I did not have enough space so what I can do now is to use a friction part in the steering mechanism to make it more rigid, you are also right with the fender that it was not finished yet, I think it is a little bit narrow so I will have to redesin it. I love the new wheels too but seeing a lot of pics the real machine has a huge wide wheels the good thing is that machine supports both.

Edited by jorgeopesi

5 hours ago, keymaker said:

It looks great, please share it :)

Thank you I will do it but I will take a while...

26 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Looks great! I missed this detail earlier, but I love the drive gear in the center of the engine crankshaft. Great idea!

Thanks, when we have not space enough to be faithful with the reference of the MOC the better ideas starting to come.