Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2024

Some four wide cars look ridiculous

Six wide, even only having place for one minifig have a better scale

10 hours ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

I actually prefer six wide vehicles. So much so I’m looking into how to modify the very few four wide cars into six wide cars.

I say that only for automobiles. Trucks are buses stay six stud wide. 

Edited by The Brick Boss

1 hour ago, The Brick Boss said:

I say that only for automobiles. Trucks are buses stay six stud wide. 

I like both 6 and 4 for cars, but I'm fine with the recent Speed Champion 6 wide scale for sports cars too.

Variation is nice, as in real life, especially in Europe, there's a lot of variation still, less muscle cars then the US (some camaro or mustang once in a while, but nothing compared when I visited L.A.) , but I still see some quite large Dodge RAM or Ford F pickup trucks once in a while, much larger then something like a classic Mini, VW Up , Toyota Aygo, or Fiat 500 etc

But even the traditional car makers of small cars are making larger variants now like the recent Fiat 600, or Mini Countryman.

I think City will have a mix of 4 wide cars, 6 wide small wheel (bar sized pin), and 6 wide speed champion wheel (technic pin) cars for at least some time to come, and that's not including Vans/Jeeps/Off-roaders etc.

Even just 2023/2024 , currently there are a lot of "normal" car sets (leaving out the formula 1, karts, or off-road/pickup/monster trucks, or 4+ ) available at the same time : 

• 60389: Custom Car Garage  (6 wide small wheel)
  • 60395: Combo Race Pack  (6 wide small wheel red car)
  • 60396: Modified Race Cars (6 wide large wheel purple car)
  • 60383: Electric Sports Car  (6 wide small wheel)
  • 60392: Police Bike Car Chase (4 wide small wheel)
  • 60362: Car Wash (4 wide small wheel)
  • 60406: Race Car and Car Carrier Truck (6 wides, truck with large wheel, car with small wheel)
  • 60415: Police Car and Muscle Car Chase (6 wide large wheel)

Can add Car Transporter with Sports Cars to that for summer set, quite a large piece count with nearly 1000 pieces I hope it comes with at least 3-4 cars for that price.

Edited by TeriXeri

9 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Looks like Johnny Thunder will be included in the LEGO City Jungle Series

Wiat what?!

12 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Wiat what?!

The beloved 90s icon from Lego Adventurers is set to be included in the new jungle exploration sets, which are set to include many vehicles in a olive green color pattern. Johnny will appear in the Quad Set and Seaplane Set too

3 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

The beloved 90s icon from Lego Adventurers is set to be included in the new jungle exploration sets, which are set to include many vehicles in an olive green color pattern. Johnny will appear in the Quad Set and Seaplane Set too

If it’s true then….YESSSSS!!!!

That's nice to see City can do retro stuff again, since they aren't bound by LEGO City Adventures (TV Show / name characters), there's definately some cool things going on, with the Space sets, and now interesting sounding Jungle Adventure stuff.

I mean, the safari truck existed before of course, and the 2015/2020 sea sets follow the 1996 Divers quite closely, the 2022 Crane was basicly a modern Town remake as well.

Also recent that things like Space got "Classic" logos again (2022 Blue and red), (2024 orange and black) and things like Rocket Racer in Stuntz.

There was a jungle explorer indiana jones/johnny thunder type of figure before with a City magazine, with a scorpion and magnifying glass in 2021 (kind of like the original small 1998 Johnny Thunder set) (2019 CMF Jungle Explorer was of course more like actual Johnny Thunder due to the head print)

Edited by TeriXeri

Olive Green could be interesting, and I wonder what accent colors they will use, to not look too military (Space uses new orange and Police uses vibrant yellow to offset their white/black + darkblue/sandblue color schemes)

Not that I expect City to use Adventurers/Western rifles or revolvers tho :)

Maybe transparent Dark Blue windows could be nice, to be a little different, and on a color wheel, Olive and Darker Blue are complimentary colors.

LEGO uses complimentary colors all the time (within LEGO's own color range, and some variation between sets of course) , especially this year, most sets have a combination of 2 or 3 of Grey/Black/White + 2-3 bright colors as accents, especially since most sets use uncolored windscreens this year (Medical sets are the only ones using light blue windows for 2024, but that matches the turqoise pretty well anyway and then Space of course with the new transparent black)

• Police : Dark Blue + Vibrant Yellow 
  • Fire : Red vehicles + Blue water tanks (no white ladders etc, or blue windscreens, so the blue water tanks stand out more)
  • Reddish Orange + Sand Blue in Space (+bluish tinted windscreens)
  • Dark Pink+ Turqoise in that Race Truck set 
  • Magenta + Lime in that Police Chase set 
  • Turqoise + Dark Orange containers in the Hideout. 

Edited by TeriXeri

Not sure how I fell about that - I mean a lot of us would love an Adventurers comeback but I don't really want anything watered down.

2 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

The beloved 90s icon from Lego Adventurers is set to be included in the new jungle exploration sets, which are set to include many vehicles in a olive green color pattern. Johnny will appear in the Quad Set and Seaplane Set too

Happy days are here again! (My wallet is already begging for mercy because of sets I haven't even seen yet...)

More clarification on the color scheme of the sets:

-it's olive green, orange and dark blue

-60424 and 60426 will include Johnny Thunder, he will be different than the cmf version, more like the classic. 

New tiger mold for the 60426 set

Great to hear more info on the jungle sets; I'd really like to see some of the new animals. I'm more hyped about this than anything else!

4 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

Not sure how I fell about that - I mean a lot of us would love an Adventurers comeback but I don't really want anything watered down.

It’s like Classic Space and Adventurers showing up in City theme. I’m okay with it. 

But i get that we want Adventurers to have its own theme not subtheme. 

4 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

More clarification on the color scheme of the sets:

-it's olive green, orange and dark blue

-60424 and 60426 will include Johnny Thunder, he will be different than the cmf version, more like the classic. 

New tiger mold for the 60426 set

A new tiger mold? Not a standard big cat mold?

4 hours ago, brimbolet said:

Great to hear more info on the jungle sets; I'd really like to see some of the new animals. I'm more hyped about this than anything else!

I hope we aren't limited to just the new ones coming this year

Bought the new jail yesterday, its a great set and has some nice parts. I especially love the new chain-link fence part and the part they are using as razor wire (which I don't think is new, just new in that color)

Did someone say.......Johnny Thunder? Hey, is Dr. Kilroy, Pippin Reed and Sam Sinister going to be there too? 

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

Bought the new jail yesterday, its a great set and has some nice parts. I especially love the new chain-link fence part and the part they are using as razor wire (which I don't think is new, just new in that color)

I plan to get that one. Initially. I only planned to get the go karts, burger truck and road roller - which I have all three. But after seeing a review, I decided to get prison island too. 

Edited by The Brick Boss

I haven't bought a single lego city set since 2015, but that might just change because of Johnny Thunder being included in the Jungle sets. And also he is in the $10 set, so that is also great that you don't have to spend much if you are only interested in him.

But also this year's city sets have been really great so far. Even the police stuff is the best since a few years. And don't even get me started on the space sub-theme. As someone who absolutely loves the original space action themes from the late 2000s / early 2010s this is right up my alley. 

But there are 2 things that are holding me back from purchasing city sets. The first one is the fact that everything is just super generic, with stuff you can usually see in real world. Which is the theme's premise, but still I much prefer si-fy / fantasy stuff.(like even the last set I got was from the 2015 ocean exploration sub-them) The other thing is the sets simplicity, the sets usually range from 5+ to 7+, and my favorite part of lego is the building proces, and especially some interesting building technics and mechanisms.

On the subject of vehicle size, I'm fine with 4-wide being used for compact and subcompact cars and 6-wide being used for larger cars, sedans, and trucks. 8-wide begins to push it in terms of practicality on most standard roads, but works great for vehicles like that new crime scene investigation truck that really benefit from a full interior, or things like car carriers that by necessity have to be bigger than the cars they carry. Larger than that doesn't really work well for City in my opinion (save for things like oversized construction equipment or space rovers where fitting on roads isn't a priority at all), though I'm still plenty open to larger in themes like Ninjago, Monkie Kid, Friends, or Agents where oversized vehicles don't have to fit into city scenes necessarily and can function more as a "playset on wheels".

23 minutes ago, The Brick Boss said:

It seems like no one is trying to understand why I say what I do about the vehicles sizes. So I'm just not going to bring up the topic anymore. 

Oh I understand, City had tons of 4 wide cars , especially before 2018, and it was rare to see any regular car 6 wide before 2016, mainly just trucks, bus, or SUV type of cars.

So if someone has a lot of cars from older City, I can understand majority of collection of regular cars will probably be 4 wide cars, 6 wide vans and trucks and some large jeep once in a while.

It's not like 4 wide cars are gone, but there were times where 4 wide cars were basicly the norm, with some exceptions here and there, like looking at just standard police cars, they were pretty much all 4 wide until 2016, unless it was like a truck, dog van, or humvee or something.

Edited by TeriXeri

19 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Oh I understand, City had tons of 4 wide cars , especially before 2018, and it was rare to see any regular car 6 wide before 2016, mainly just trucks, bus, or SUV type of cars.

So if someone has a lot of cars from older City, I can understand majority of collection of regular cars will probably be 4 wide cars, 6 wide vans and trucks and some large jeep once in a while.

It's not like 4 wide cars are gone, but there were times where 4 wide cars were basicly the norm, with some exceptions here and there, like looking at just standard police cars, they were pretty much all 4 wide until 2016, unless it was like a truck, dog van, or humvee or something.

I started collecting City during its HEY days - lame pun intended. That was back when even some police, fire and medical vehicles were 4 stud wide. I still have those. But they're in pieces right now. 

10 minutes ago, The Brick Boss said:

I started collecting City during its HEY days - lame pun intended. That was back when even some police, fire and medical vehicles were 4 stud wide. I still have those. But they're in pieces right now. 

I got a  bunch of Town cars from like 80s-90s, and it's funny I keep seeing the old 4 wide town fender piece used in newer sets (altho this is a slightly more modern piece with the hole in it), but not as actual car fenders, I got like 16 of them in black but only used in an actual small car from a 2017 set, and the rest are used as internal parts : 

4600178.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri