MyFirstMOC-Hun

[ENTRY] 1492 Battle Cove - Remake 2023

Hello!

Now I'm thinking again about the 1492 Battle Cove set. The garrison that once had its better days is now in total ruins. Two pirates were originally on duty on the small island, but one stole a gold bar from a hidden treasure chest and quickly hid it before his partner shot him. His skeleton can be seen at the edge of the beach.

Flickr

Instagram

lego 1492 battle cove remake 01

lego 1492 battle cove remake 02

lego 1492 battle cove remake 03

lego 1492 battle cove remake 04

lego 1492 battle cove remake 05

lego 1492 battle cove remake 06

lego 1492 battle cove remake 07

A modern vintage set.

Theme (Story)

On 7/4/2023 at 7:54 AM, MyFirstMOC-Hun said:

The garrison that once had its better days is now in total ruins. Two pirates were originally on duty on the small island, but one stole a gold bar from a hidden treasure chest and quickly hid it before his partner shot him. 

Now I like how there's a backstory to the build (which serves this story with details like the damaged cannon and the overran foliage. The lone pirate makes sense, as does the explanation (gold makes most people-not just pirates-a little greedy). Overall there's nothing I would change here.

Build

First entry I see to try the black and grey walls scheme-it works great! The plate-built sand looks natural and the greenery (as always with you) looks pretty good. Now the front could be less straight, I'd like it if you changed the fire (but at this point, I'll let go since you clearly refuse to change it on most builds), the bottom layer of sand could be darker (with two layers on top to make the island more imposing) and the front looks too straight. Overall, the contrast between the two parts of the island looks excellent and I think the minor problems are easily compensated for by the excellent colour choices.

Quick question : Are those cupcake top pieces meant to be foam or fungi or something else? Either way I love the effect (I'd just consider putting a Lilypad below the one on water if it isn't foam).

Nice, the fish drying rack is the best part of this build.  Extremely simple and clever!  I also love the treasure and how the ground slopes up around it.

Not sure the yellow bedding works when contrasted against the tan sand, I would go with white, red, or blue for that.

The angle of the cannon also bothers me, I suspect this is a "love-it-or-hate-it" thing.  I don't feel like a cannon with only two wheels would feature in an official set.

The tree is really nice, especially the angled leaf at the bottom to hide the technic hole.  I would like to see dark green leaves instead of bright light green leaves on the tree, but again, that may be a personal preference thing.

The walls, angles, and overall look and feel of this are excellent, and really feel like what you'd find in an official set.  Excellent work!

45 minutes ago, Horation said:

A modern vintage set.

Theme (Story)

Now I like how there's a backstory to the build (which serves this story with details like the damaged cannon and the overran foliage. The lone pirate makes sense, as does the explanation (gold makes most people-not just pirates-a little greedy). Overall there's nothing I would change here.

Build

First entry I see to try the black and grey walls scheme-it works great! The plate-built sand looks natural and the greenery (as always with you) looks pretty good. Now the front could be less straight, I'd like it if you changed the fire (but at this point, I'll let go since you clearly refuse to change it on most builds), the bottom layer of sand could be darker (with two layers on top to make the island more imposing) and the front looks too straight. Overall, the contrast between the two parts of the island looks excellent and I think the minor problems are easily compensated for by the excellent colour choices.

Quick question : Are those cupcake top pieces meant to be foam or fungi or something else? Either way I love the effect (I'd just consider putting a Lilypad below the one on water if it isn't foam).

Thank you very much!

I was also wondering about the design of the island, whether it will be good or not? But so far the problem was that I was using too many elements, so now I limited the number of elements and the beach is the result.

I don't think I will change the fire, because I like it and it is simple but good.

I'm also not varying the sand layer colour because then there would be more elements or it would be a problem that it doesn't look like a factory set (I don't think the sabre island set is what the competition is advertised as either).

I was actually wondering what goes into the pot, just putting it in. But maybe that wasn't exactly a good choice either 😀.

1 hour ago, iragm said:

Nice, the fish drying rack is the best part of this build.  Extremely simple and clever!  I also love the treasure and how the ground slopes up around it.

Not sure the yellow bedding works when contrasted against the tan sand, I would go with white, red, or blue for that.

The angle of the cannon also bothers me, I suspect this is a "love-it-or-hate-it" thing.  I don't feel like a cannon with only two wheels would feature in an official set.

The tree is really nice, especially the angled leaf at the bottom to hide the technic hole.  I would like to see dark green leaves instead of bright light green leaves on the tree, but again, that may be a personal preference thing.

The walls, angles, and overall look and feel of this are excellent, and really feel like what you'd find in an official set.  Excellent work!

Thank you! 😉👍🍻🏴☠️

Yellow is a substitute for straw, not bedding. Which I do with tan in general, but it wouldn't work here because of the colour of the sand.

The cannon is just like that. And I think lego would release one just like that, just include the remaining two wheels in the package.

I used light green everywhere on purpose, because before I only used plain green. I like to have a variety of vegetation colors. Next project will be plain green again, mixed with very minimal light green.

Another fine build of yours! Its a great series of mocs!

Only the black wall looks kinda out of place. I understand it's because of the black wall panel from the classic set, but seeing it brickbuild i'd always wonder what it is supposed to be. Could you try dbg?

53 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Another fine build of yours! Its a great series of mocs!

Only the black wall looks kinda out of place. I understand it's because of the black wall panel from the classic set, but seeing it brickbuild i'd always wonder what it is supposed to be. Could you try dbg?

Thank you very much! 😉🏴☠️👍🍻

Yes, it was included because of the original set and because several people have already indicated that they don't recognize the previous sets. If nothing else, this is now easily identifiable from the black wall. To which you might as well say that the garrison has been burnt to a cinder and that's all that's left. The black wall and the palm leaf roof. 😎 Otherwise, dbg might be better instead of black.

Loving this, I think all your remakes are my fav sets so far in this competition. I love the broken cannon btw!

My criticism with the current version:

- the yellow "hay" bed looks weird and doesn't fit with the modern vibe, maybe try dark tan instead?

- the wall looks odd with the masonry bricks laid vertically. I understand the need to make the build more fun and unique, but I'd suggest redesigning it so the light bluish gray masonry pieces are in horizontal mode

- not a big fan of the rock formation made out of plates stacked on top - the lid bit looks cool, but the flat front I'd replace with brick slopes

1 hour ago, zinnn said:

Loving this, I think all your remakes are my fav sets so far in this competition. I love the broken cannon btw!

My criticism with the current version:

- the yellow "hay" bed looks weird and doesn't fit with the modern vibe, maybe try dark tan instead?

- the wall looks odd with the masonry bricks laid vertically. I understand the need to make the build more fun and unique, but I'd suggest redesigning it so the light bluish gray masonry pieces are in horizontal mode

- not a big fan of the rock formation made out of plates stacked on top - the lid bit looks cool, but the flat front I'd replace with brick slopes

Thank you very much! 😀🏴☠️😎🍻👍

I try to use only items that are obtainable if someone ever builds one of these MOCs. That's why the base of the cannon is red, because you can currently buy it on the lego site when it's in stock.

I made the wall that way on purpose, so it wouldn't be so boring, to have some different building technique. It might not be the best, but I like it.

Nah this element of the MOC was totally born out of necessity. I didn't want to put a treasure chest in the set at first, but then again, what kind of kalo "farmhouse" is it without treasure? I also don't like it when it's so tiled, but here as I built it up in layers to cover the chest, I liked it more and more. I also did it with slope at the end, but I really didn't like that. That's why it stayed that way in the end.

Nice entry. I'd suggest using cheese slopes instead of the 1x1 tiles in the wall, to catch the line of the wedges.

Just now, MstrOfPppts said:

Nice entry. I'd suggest using cheese slopes instead of the 1x1 tiles in the wall, to catch the line of the wedges.

Thank you! 😉👍🏴☠️🍻

1 hour ago, LucSoleBricks said:

Love it! Would personally change the black wall to maybe reddish brown to make it look more like a shipwreck maybe?

But the whole point of this original set was to show it's a building (or whatever is left of it), not a shipwreck

1 hour ago, LucSoleBricks said:

Love it! Would personally change the black wall to maybe reddish brown to make it look more like a shipwreck maybe?

But this set is not about shipwrecks. Even the original I would say is the remains of a small garrison, rather than a shipwreck with pieces of a ship. The walls will stay black, that's for sure! 😉😎

Edited by MyFirstMOC-Hun

First things first, the cannon needs its wheels back, but the story is great the only other thing that I would suggest is fixing the rock formation to look a little more natural. Anyway, Happy building :)

11 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

First things first, the cannon needs its wheels back, but the story is great the only other thing that I would suggest is fixing the rock formation to look a little more natural. Anyway, Happy building :)

You don't need wheels because it's a dilapidated garrison in a bad state. It's exactly the sort of cannon that would fit.

2 minutes ago, MyFirstMOC-Hun said:

You don't need wheels because it's a dilapidated garrison in a bad state. It's exactly the sort of cannon that would fit.

But if he tries to fire the cannon it gonna fly off the carriage in a second. 

Awesome! Dear Lego, take my money and pleae give this kinda set to me ;) I absolutely love it, as there's lots and lots of things happening here and it's perfectly balaned too! I mean, that tall wall corresponds nicely with that small fortification on the other side and all it enclosed by Your palm tree with a hidden chest right under it.

The only thing i would change is that cannon is positioned, i'd say it would look better if it was complete or even if it was broken, but without that sand underneath. I can see what You wanted to do here, but in this case approaching it with the "less is more" way would work better in my opinion. 

And since there's plenty of fish, maybe he could have something to catch it with? A spear perhaps? Or is he supposed to catch then with bare hands, as we can see him submerged in the water? 

PS. I know it's supposed to be a kid's toy, but when i see this skeleton my darker side tells me it could be used as bait to hunt that shark ;)  If only this fellow could have something to tie those bones into... ;P   

Edited by Mazin