Had some issue with front axle after raising front suspension (because was too low) in Extreme Cruiser, and didn't have idea how to slove that, so I decided to make something more functional.

1000x800p.jpg?1658071740.9835982

This mini Unimog is 3x smaller than original one:

800x601.jpg

So far it has HOG steering and pendular suspension on the front axle and mostly done cab.

800x601.jpg

Edited by TechnicMOCer

Good start and it's nice that you changed the set to a more interesting one (at least in my opinion). I like that it already looks like a Unimog, even though it is 3x smaller than the original.

4 minutes ago, artemisovsky said:

Good start and it's nice that you changed the set to a more interesting one (at least in my opinion). I like that it already looks like a Unimog, even though it is 3x smaller than the original.

Thanks! At first I was a bit afraid of the front, but I like how it turned out. Still needs some details like mirrors, air intake, etc. though.

I hope it will not be a bit perfectioned 9390.

Looking forward to see your interpretation

39 minutes ago, 1gor said:

I hope it will not be a bit perfectioned 9390.

Looking forward to see your interpretation

It will be better than 9390 😎

1 minute ago, TangersTechnic said:

You have done really well to scale this down so much.

Thanks! Still a lot to do though

3 hours ago, karmadrome said:

Looks very promising, looking forward to your progress.

Thanks!

Made some progress with it, added bed (with opening sides), finished rear and added some details like air intake, exhaust pipe and warning lights.

800x601.jpg

800x601.jpg

800x1067.jpg

Also I have a question, which warning lights would be better? Yellow ones (as original set) or orange ones (as real ones)?

Edited by TechnicMOCer

use the color from the original as the orange ones are too close to orange body. Also consider using the light bulb piece on a bar instead of 1x1 round tile for it.

4 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

use the color from the original as the orange ones are too close to orange body. Also consider using the light bulb piece on a bar instead of 1x1 round tile for it.

I think it would look too curvy, in original set it looks more 'square'

Cute little build so far, curious how it continues!

BTW, 1L liftarms are available in orange (cheap now at lego.com), can be good to fill the gap on the A pillars.

50 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Cute little build so far, curious how it continues!

BTW, 1L liftarms are available in orange (cheap now at lego.com), can be good to fill the gap on the A pillars.

Thanks! I know, I'm currently trying to find them on BrickLink but couldn't find it yet

3 hours ago, TechnicMOCer said:

Thanks! I know, I'm currently trying to find them on BrickLink but couldn't find it yet

I know because I tried that too recently, and so I was surprised to find them on lego.com accidentally, so ordered about 20 them quickly (same goes for the orange pin-pinhole connectors, also very useful but rare). I guess it's because they are both only used in 1 or 2 sets recently, the McLaren being one of them.

6 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I know because I tried that too recently, and so I was surprised to find them on lego.com accidentally, so ordered about 20 them quickly (same goes for the orange pin-pinhole connectors, also very useful but rare). I guess it's because they are both only used in 1 or 2 sets recently, the McLaren being one of them.

Yeah, and McLaren isn't very much bought as I guess 

Imho yellow lights to distinguish them better... I suppose you font have 5L liftarm thick in orange and perhaps those rotating lights would be good for your project (even if they are onrange)

5 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Imho yellow lights to distinguish them better... I suppose you font have 5L liftarm thick in orange and perhaps those rotating lights would be good for your project (even if they are onrange)

Thanks for advice. Yes, on the front there's 5L liftarm. Bulb pieces would look too much like balls, in 8110 set warning lights are more 'square'

Although I haven't finished Unimog yet, made crane attachment for it:

800x601.jpg

To attach it, you have to push these brown 3L axles into pin holes:

800x1161.jpg

I recommend using longer axle for that (8L would be enough), as well as to detach

800x601.jpg

The functions of crane are:

- rotation (360 degrees)

- rise/lower

- functional grabber which can be rotated infinitely as well

- functional outriggers

800x1065.jpg

800x601.jpg

800x601.jpg

Let me know what do you think about it

Ordered some parts and upgraded windshield:

800x601.jpg

The crane attachment has been upgraded as well, now uses small linear actuator, so is much more stable (and now can't be folded as original one):

800x601.jpg

As well as outriggers are functional (they can lift rear wheels):

800x601.jpg

Made some prototype of front in Stud.io:

800x661.png

Same scale as 42147:

800x439.png

Size comprasion to original 8110 set:

800x647.png

Looks really good and nice photos :)

One thing that I'm not sure about is the crane attachment feeling just a bit oversized to a point the model feels like a manga style "chibi" oversized. Not sure if this is good or bad though, just getting those vibes.

23 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Looks really good and nice photos :)

Thanks! I'm glad you like

23 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

One thing that I'm not sure about is the crane attachment feeling just a bit oversized to a point the model feels like a manga style "chibi" oversized. Not sure if this is good or bad though, just getting those vibes.

Maybe it is a bit oversized, but I have no idea how to make it smaller and note that original set is 3x bigger, so keeping exact proportions is hard in this scale

33 minutes ago, mirrorbricks said:

Awesome shrinkage! will it have a small winch? maybe just with one hollow round plate on the end?

Thanks! Winch attachment will be scaled down, but hook will be the same to make it functional even in such a scale.