Elephant Knight

[ENTRY] Cross Bone Clipper Remake UPDATED!

39 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

Sorry to double post, but I've updated it again, just a small one, with a better sail. I printed it onto some canvas, and it looks WAY better than the previous cloth one.

53046596394_97e9a3158a.jpgCross Bone Clipper Revamp V.3 by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

First post has updated images as well.

EKnight

The updates said you made is incredible!

Lovely work! This definitely feels in keeping with the style of both Barracuda Bay and the cargo ship from the new Eldorado Fortress. Unlike those, it's slightly smaller than the original rather than slightly larger, but it does adhere closely to the original color scheme and color blocking while adding lots of authentic details and streamlining some of the contours.

I do sort of wish that the rudder didn't stick so far off the back, but aside from that I think you did an exceptional job with the custom hull design. The removable plate to access the hidden cargo hold is a very neat touch!

The printed canvas sail is top notch!  I'd be interested to see some pics of your design process.  And I hope this makes it onto Rebrickable.  It's so much better than the original!

8 hours ago, iragm said:

The printed canvas sail is top notch!  I'd be interested to see some pics of your design process.  And I hope this makes it onto Rebrickable.  It's so much better than the original!

Thank you! I have no plans to put it onto Rebrickable, it's not really my thing.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:07 PM, Aanchir said:

Lovely work! This definitely feels in keeping with the style of both Barracuda Bay and the cargo ship from the new Eldorado Fortress. Unlike those, it's slightly smaller than the original rather than slightly larger, but it does adhere closely to the original color scheme and color blocking while adding lots of authentic details and streamlining some of the contours.

I do sort of wish that the rudder didn't stick so far off the back, but aside from that I think you did an exceptional job with the custom hull design. The removable plate to access the hidden cargo hold is a very neat touch!

I don't think I could make it stick out any less. I feel it would loose a lot of the smooth lines at the back.

EKnight

Although I love the brick-built cannon If it was a Lego set it would have to be one of their bulky firing cannons. I love the colors, and the great hull, the only other thing I would change would be just showing the interior of the cabin if there is one. Anyway, Happy building :)

6 hours ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

Although I love the brick-built cannon If it was a Lego set it would have to be one of their bulky firing cannons. I love the colors, and the great hull, the only other thing I would change would be just showing the interior of the cabin if there is one. Anyway, Happy building :)

That is a good point about the cannon. I can't recall any instances of Lego doing a full on brick built cannon. I guess the SES kinda did though... There is no interior of the "cabin". Not really enough room to do anything other than store a barrel of ill gotten gains.

EKnight

4 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

That is a good point about the cannon. I can't recall any instances of Lego doing a full on brick built cannon. I guess the SES kinda did though... There is no interior of the "cabin". Not really enough room to do anything other than store a barrel of ill gotten gains.

EKnight

Lego have used 1x1 round bricks as “cannons” and smaller guns in a few builds.

1 hour ago, Elephant Knight said:

EKnight

Then what's down there with that removable brick, maybe you could put the pirate's treasure down there. 

14 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

Then what's down there with that removable brick, maybe you could put the pirate's treasure down there. 

Whoops, I guess I forgot to take a picture with a barrel sitting there with the latest update. I've edited to show a picture that I took with the second update.

EKnight

Edited by Elephant Knight

30 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

Whoops, I guess I forgot to take a picture with a barrel sitting there with the latest update. I've edited to show a picture that I took with the second update.

EKnight

Now it looks much better :)

Lovely and somewhat unique as remakes i usually see tend to be MUCH BIGGER than originals, and You've managed to kinda shrink the size of the ship ;) I like the way You've rebuilt it from different parts, this sort of design could be surely useful for those who can't get their hand on the classic vessel, but would like to built it by themselves. Other than that, i must admit i'm not realy familiar with the original, but comparing both versions, don't see any real innovations and some folks might complain that such upgrades should be obligatory in those remastered sets ;) I like the hidden compartment tho, and thse stairs, and the crane, for some reason i always had something for cranes in Lego Pirate worlds, they seem so playable :)   

One thing i wonder the most tho, those green and black side part of the vessel. From the outside It kinda looks it was openable, or well, that clearly kids could do something with it, it kinda reminds me of these backgrounds in old cartoons where there was this highlited area and we instantly knew something's gonna happen to it. So the same way, in here, i have this feeling like that side of the ship is a drawer, or somesuch, a thing that can be opened, pulled out, or maybe that's a detachable part that could be used as damaged area of the board? ;)

I like the size of this boat. Perhaps add another sail as it looks like it could have one more.

Hello! My name is Tom--new member, but a long time LEGO pirate enthusiast! Your build is much better than the original--smaller, but more detail, and I love the cannon! I am also using a smaller cannon in my contest entry, and it always used to bother me that LEGO cannons only came in one size. Beautiful build!

I love how small and simple this looks. I want to buy this, with the Cloth Sail as a Lego VIP Insider GWP. If it was me; Building Vicariously through you; I'd figure some way to Engineer the small Cannon on the main deck to be a stud-shooter, I'd at least throw one of those round 2x2 skid plates on the bottom of the ship, towards the front, to make it look like it's cresting over imaginary waves, and for flare/impulse, I'd throw in one of those magnetized Compass pieces that came out in the Pirate sets of the mid 90s.

It's a great build! the size and simplicity of it would look right at home in a larger fleet of ships!