Sign in to follow this  
danth

[MOC][ALT BUILD] Galaxy Roadster. Built using only leftover parts from the Space Transporter 10497 build.

Hi all!

I've built a spaceship using the leftover parts from 10497 alt build 1. I call it the Galaxy Roadster.

AbjwHDC.jpg

I was able to make the space ship along with a landing pad, landing beacon, and parking enforcement robot. More pics here if you're interested.

Thanks!

Edited by danth

Very cute! The broad wedge shape reminds me of 442 Space Shuttle / 891 Two-Seater Space Scooter, though with the welcome addition of an enclosed canopy. I like the way the wing edges meet the nose cone.

Both of the MOCs you've come up with with the spare parts to the alternate builds of this set have been great. I ought to give MOCing something with my spare parts another go... I got frustrated at not being able to come up with something I was satisfied with, but maybe I just need to give myself a little more time to come up with something good.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Very cute! The broad wedge shape reminds me of 442 Space Shuttle / 891 Two-Seater Space Scooter, though with the welcome addition of an enclosed canopy.

Thanks! Hmm yeah good call on 442/891, that set does have the same wedge shape. I hadn't made the connection. Also, both are two seaters! Luckily mine has both seats occupied. :D

I like the way the wing edges meet the nose cone.

Thanks again, I really like how that turned out, and it's actually the last thing I figured out. Both edges just kinda stopped and the nose cone and wing tips until late last night. You can imagine how much worse that looked...

Both of the MOCs you've come up with with the spare parts to the alternate builds of this set have been great. I ought to give MOCing something with my spare parts another go... I got frustrated at not being able to come up with something I was satisfied with, but maybe I just need to give myself a little more time to come up with something good. 

Building something out of the spare parts from both 10497 alt builds was something high on my to do list and I'm glad I finally got both done! I don't know why, but for me, alt builds are fun and feel "easy", while MOCing is frustrating and difficult.

You should definitely give it another go, I bet you come up with something great!

Edited by danth

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Very cute! The broad wedge shape reminds me of 442 Space Shuttle / 891 Two-Seater Space Scooter, though with the welcome addition of an enclosed canopy. I like the way the wing edges meet the nose cone.

Now that you say that there's no way I can unsee it, good thing too, IDK if this is weird but I always found that as a kid the look of the two seater space scooter defined Classic Space for me, just the 2 astronauts sitting together in a stylish, completely impractical design with massive grins on their faces felt so homely to me

Love this MOC

On 6/14/2023 at 9:05 AM, Renny The Spaceman said:

Love this MOC

I forgot to reply to this. Thanks @Renny The Spaceman!

On 6/14/2023 at 9:05 AM, Renny The Spaceman said:

Now that you say that there's no way I can unsee it, good thing too, IDK if this is weird but I always found that as a kid the look of the two seater space scooter defined Classic Space for me, just the 2 astronauts sitting together in a stylish, completely impractical design with massive grins on their faces felt so homely to me

What's funny is that 442 only ever came with one pilot! Maybe that's why the single pilot was smiling...he offed his annoying co-pilot in the depths of space and now has full control of his ship!

OMG, why didn't I see this before? This is amazing! I love the reverse tilt of the windscreen and the single engine turbine in front. The leading edge of the wings is very smartly done too.

Oh, what a neat, zippy little spaceship! The wedge-shaped wing is a great fit for the Classic Space design language while standing out beautifully from the sharper arrowhead shapes of 10497 and its "official" alternate models. The center-mounted rocket cone reminds me of a lot of smaller "speeder" sets like 6820 and 6824… but of course, this ship has a much more robust design and an enclosed cockpit!

The parking enforcement robot is not only a delightfully creative concept, but its design is also brimming with personality! I can definitely imagine it driving around a spaceport ticketing small parked on landing pads reserved for larger space cruisers, or zipping around after rover-driving hooligans trying to use the spaceport runways as an improvised racing circuit! And of course, most likely making all sorts of cute high-pitched siren noises while doing so. :grin:

The beacon and crater are also a very clever way to use up some of the remaining parts while also providing some nice lunar scenery.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:18 PM, icm said:

OMG, why didn't I see this before? This is amazing! I love the reverse tilt of the windscreen and the single engine turbine in front. The leading edge of the wings is very smartly done too.

Thanks icm! It means a lot to hear that from a certified space ship expert! Glad you like the reverse windscreen and it doesn't look too dorky. I mainly did that to be different from the official alt builds.

On 9/4/2023 at 5:13 PM, Aanchir said:

Oh, what a neat, zippy little spaceship! The wedge-shaped wing is a great fit for the Classic Space design language while standing out beautifully from the sharper arrowhead shapes of 10497 and its "official" alternate models. The center-mounted rocket cone reminds me of a lot of smaller "speeder" sets like 6820 and 6824… but of course, this ship has a much more robust design and an enclosed cockpit!

The parking enforcement robot is not only a delightfully creative concept, but its design is also brimming with personality! I can definitely imagine it driving around a spaceport ticketing small parked on landing pads reserved for larger space cruisers, or zipping around after rover-driving hooligans trying to use the spaceport runways as an improvised racing circuit! And of course, most likely making all sorts of cute high-pitched siren noises while doing so. :grin:

The beacon and crater are also a very clever way to use up some of the remaining parts while also providing some nice lunar scenery.

Aww, you're too kind Aanchir. I love your story about the parking robot! I might have to reenact it, sounds and all!

I was hoping you would respond to this because I knew if you did you would compare it to the Space Dart! And you are absolutely right because I thought about the Space Dart when working on the nose. The black gear in the middle is a direct homage to the black stripe on the Space Dart's nose.

2 hours ago, danth said:

Aww, you're too kind Aanchir. I love your story about the parking robot! I might have to reenact it, sounds and all!

I was hoping you would respond to this because I knew if you did you would compare it to the Space Dart! And you are absolutely right because I thought about the Space Dart when working on the nose. The black gear in the middle is a direct homage to the black stripe on the Space Dart's nose. 

Oh awesome! That's a detail I hadn't picked up on! Very cool to know that similarity was an intentional part of the design — though honestly it's cool enough, and distinct enough from any of the "official" 10437 builds, that I'd appreciate it even if it didn't have any parallels/inspirations in actual Classic Space sets.

I think the best LEGO builds (either as sets or MOCs) are the sort that offer plenty of "story starters" as a creative jumping-off point, and the parking robot really excels at that! I'm glad it doesn't annoy you for me to share silly asides about the sort of ways I imagine models like this being played with. I sometimes worry about how stuff like that comes across, especially with my tendency to ramble. :blush: