Sign in to follow this  
danth

[MOC] Star Splitter: Classic Space Combiner/Transformer Spaceship Mech

All,

This is a redesign of an entry I made for the recent Classic Space Era Spaceship contest. My goal was to build a spaceship that split into two smaller spaceships, both of which transformed into mechs. I was able to do it but I really rushed it at the end to meet the deadline! I didn't really love how it turned out. So I spent a couple months tweaking it and think I have something much better now. Here it is: The Star Splitter.

5m6WQ2s.jpg

The prototype was called the Ursa Craft, which split into Ursa Major and Ursa Minor. Basically Mama Bear and Baby Bear. The redesign features a tighter integration of both units, a totally redesigned airframe and new wing cannons for the larger Bomber unit, and a complete reworking of the smaller Fighter unit.

Here is the larger rear ship, the Bomber Unit, in space ship and gerwalk modes:

nSeEIgW.jpg

hC2GU7j.jpg

Here it is in mech/robot mode:

ZtjL3E4.jpg

5B1MTem.jpg

5DZykG6.jpg

Here is the smaller front ship, the Fighter Unit, in both modes:

7KhkqTJ.jpgLXv8d3j.jpgWFvCuyE.jpg

LwRDPWK.jpgvF9bZeF.jpg

I tried to make this thing rock solid. Both bots are sturdy and hold a pose easily, and in space ship mode things generally snap into place pretty well. There are a few fiddly bits at the edges but nothing structurally unsound.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

On 6/7/2023 at 4:37 AM, Renny The Spaceman said:

This is great, love how seamlessly they fold into each other  

Thanks Renny!

The transformation on the big one is achieved mostly through the Technic clicky ball hinges, but there are also some Mixel joints, and the chest transformation is done with some Technic lift arms and a 2x2 turntable.

The small one is Mixel joints, the new 1x3 rounded plate with open studs, and hinged plates.

Basically this is the kind of set I wish Lego would make: Space ships with combo/transformation gimmicks.

1 hour ago, danth said:

Thanks Renny!

The transformation on the big one is achieved mostly through the Technic clicky ball hinges, but there are also some Mixel joints, and the chest transformation is done with some Technic lift arms and a 2x2 turntable.

The small one is Mixel joints, the new 1x3 rounded plate with open studs, and hinged plates.

Basically this is the kind of set I wish Lego would make: Space ships with combo/transformation gimmicks.

Oh nice it's all very impressive

Though from the sounds of it what you want is Galaxy Squad wit tinted windshields I'd assume)

On 6/9/2023 at 10:36 AM, Renny The Spaceman said:

Though from the sounds of it what you want is Galaxy Squad wit tinted windshields I'd assume)

Galaxy Squad designs were great. But yeah it was the first major space theme without colored canopies. Not counting Life on Mars (which was weird) or Alien Conquest (on Earth so barely "Space").

On 6/12/2023 at 7:01 AM, danth said:

Galaxy Squad designs were great. But yeah it was the first major space theme without colored canopies. Not counting Life on Mars (which was weird) or Alien Conquest (on Earth so barely "Space").

Yeah, weird, I guess no colour would of worked with all the distinct colour schemes

45 minutes ago, SteveOC said:

:thumbup::classic: Very nicely done. Love it!

Thanks! Glad at least 2 people like it! 😁

On 7/5/2023 at 9:22 PM, SamuelHKHon said:

This is really neat, so wonderful! :)

Thanks! 🥹

God damn, it really does transform! I had to look it up cause I missed it first time round so here’s a big old bump for this. I’m always quite in awe of anyone who can make a transformer from Lego. If I tried doing that with a moc it would just disintegrate in my hands. You must have to be thinking several steps ahead for every piece you place when you’re creating it. Hats off to you!

On 8/9/2023 at 3:13 PM, Rubblemaker said:

God damn, it really does transform! I had to look it up cause I missed it first time round so here’s a big old bump for this. I’m always quite in awe of anyone who can make a transformer from Lego. If I tried doing that with a moc it would just disintegrate in my hands. You must have to be thinking several steps ahead for every piece you place when you’re creating it. Hats off to you!

Thanks @Rubblemaker. Honestly, making transforming MOCs a major PITA. Or at least, I'm not very good at it yet. I'm hoping it gets easier.

It's all in the joints. I was hoping the Mixel joints would make transforming MOCs easy but they actually bend in the wrong way. Unlike this hinge which keeps the studs in the same plane, you can only move Mixel joints such that studs are in different planes. Not sure if I can get the problem across without pictures, sorry. The bigger clicky joints at least don't have this problem.

My goals are simplicity, sturdiness in both modes, reasonably poseability in robot mode, and good looks. And that's freaking hard!

Edited by danth

On 9/4/2023 at 10:08 PM, danth said:

Thanks @Rubblemaker. Honestly, making transforming MOCs a major PITA. Or at least, I'm not very good at it yet. I'm hoping it gets easier.

It's all in the joints. I was hoping the Mixel joints would make transforming MOCs easy but they actually bend in the wrong way. Unlike this hinge which keeps the studs in the same plane, you can only move Mixel joints such that studs are in different planes. Not sure if I can get the problem across without pictures, sorry. The bigger clicky joints at least don't have this problem.

My goals are simplicity, sturdiness in both modes, reasonably poseability in robot mode, and good looks. And that's freaking hard!

Ball joints in general aren't the saviours I hoped they'd be. I just finished a mech using ball joints and thought I'd be able to pose it however I wanted but thanks to the restrictive sockets Lego make for them, it's movement is almost as restricted as if I was using clips. It's probably just me though and I need to study up on the best way to use them. My mech doesn't transform though.. I'm not that much of a masochist 😂

This is a great design! An impressive creation that dignifies the memory of the Classic Space theme. 

If some pesimist tells you this doesn't look like Classic Space, just ignore him.

20 hours ago, Operacion Saturno said:

This is a great design! An impressive creation that dignifies the memory of the Classic Space theme.  

If some pesimist tells you this doesn't look like Classic Space, just ignore him.

Thanks OS!

If anyone's bothered by the curved windscreens, I will just say it's "Neo" Classic Space.