Samarth

[MOC] 6277 Merchant cutter reimagined

9 hours ago, Samarth said:

I am proud to announce that I've completed the instructions and they're awaiting rebrickable approval! 

SAVE_20230421_194617.jpg

Awesome! Congrats dude. Can't wait to build her.

15 hours ago, Samarth said:

I am proud to announce that I've completed the instructions and they're awaiting rebrickable approval! 

SAVE_20230421_194617.jpg

That's fantastic news!

But as for the sails... what if someone wants to recreate those?

41 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

That's fantastic news!

But as for the sails... what if someone wants to recreate those?

The sail plan and masts are a direct lift from the official instructions in 6277 and can be made by following the instructions there. Only the hull is custom. No other mods needed! 

As for replica sails, as you know, there are many options on the aftermarket. I've used Tim Begovic's sails myself. 

When I get some time I'll make updated masts with new pieces, the main problem is the mast height of the new masts is not the same as the old ones, I'll need to do some real life prototyping to see what works best with the sails. 

Thank you @PxChris and @Supersick_ for your kind words and encouragement. 

Edited by Samarth

6 minutes ago, Samarth said:

As for replica sails, as you know, there are many options on the aftermarket. I've used Tim Begovic's sails myself. 

How does someone contact Tim if they'd like to purchase his replica sails?

15 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

How does someone contact Tim if they'd like to purchase his replica sails?

He's there in all the groups, but oddly he hasn't been replying to my tags. Maybe he's not active anymore? Perhaps I should message him. 

2 minutes ago, Samarth said:

He's there in all the groups, but oddly he hasn't been replying to my tags. Maybe he's not active anymore? Perhaps I should message him. 

It would be great if we had a more direct contact rather than having to rely on tagging him on Facebook.

Does he have a website or Instagram profile?

8 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

It would be great if we had a more direct contact rather than having to rely on tagging him on Facebook.

Does he have a website or Instagram profile?

Not that I know of. I'd straight up bought them directly off of FB on trust. He's quite a bit cheaper than okbrickworks, as I recall. 

48 minutes ago, Samarth said:

Not that I know of. I'd straight up bought them directly off of FB on trust. He's quite a bit cheaper than okbrickworks, as I recall. 

If you happen to get in contact with him, it may be beneficial to ask for a more solid form of contact.

It would be great to recommend someone like him in conjunction with ReBrickable designs.

But we can only do that, if he can be reliably contacted.

10 minutes ago, custombrickstim said:

Hi Guys,

im the one who made the custom sails, you can check my new post & let me know if you have any questions :)

Welcome to the forum Tim! 

I believe there was/ is also a website that has free stencils of all original Lego sails which you can print and subsequently use on your own fabric. I have lost that link unfortunately. Does anyone here potentially know what I am referring to and could share the link?

4 hours ago, Crazy bricks said:

That looks fantastic - love the curves white pieces used on the front of the hull and the weathered sails!

Thank you so much!

6 hours ago, LegoAUT said:

I believe there was/ is also a website that has free stencils of all original Lego sails which you can print and subsequently use on your own fabric. I have lost that link unfortunately. Does anyone here potentially know what I am referring to and could share the link?

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/10076-library-sails/ Probably this. 

I saw your great moc in portal and it made me log in. merchant ship in the set 6277 is my favorite part, and you remaked it with new parts and sences, like 21322! I will pay without hesitaiton if it is released as an official product. You did good job bro.

1 hour ago, Third Navigator said:

I saw your great moc in portal and it made me log in. merchant ship in the set 6277 is my favorite part, and you remaked it with new parts and sences, like 21322! I will pay without hesitaiton if it is released as an official product. You did good job bro.

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! Instead of waiting for TLG, do purchase the instructions from me! :monkey:

On 4/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, Samarth said:

hank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! Instead of waiting for TLG, do purchase the instructions from me! :monkey:

You deserve it - we need more small ship sets like this! :pir-huzzah2:

Also, the blog post you're writing for this cutter is coming along nicely!

On 6/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, Mister Phes said:

You deserve it - we need more small ship sets like this! :pir-huzzah2:

Also, the blog post you're writing for this cutter is coming along nicely!

Thank you! Sorry I missed this. Prescient of you to have said what you said, because now this ship is an official set, and the blog will have to be revised accordingly! 

8 hours ago, Samarth said:

Thank you! Sorry I missed this. Prescient of you to have said what you said, because now this ship is an official set, and the blog will have to be revised accordingly! 

The official set's model kinda pales in comparison to your take on the classic Merchant Boat, lad, that's undeniable. You have the layout done right, much more accurate to the original than TLG's take, especially when we're talking about the bow and the deck overall; you have an actual CARGO on an actual MERCHANT ship, lol; you have the appropriate minifigs there (yes, I'm gonna keep on whining about the minifigures trouble in 10320 everywhere :pir_tong2:). Your model only lacks a steering wheel really and both yours & TLG's cutters have no functioning lid over the cargo hold like one in the OG design :pir-laugh: If I had no intent of buying 10320, I'd rather take your model & slap separately ordered sails from the set on it, and call it a day :pir-thumb: So mad props to you for the build, pal :thumbup:

11 hours ago, F1stzz said:

The official set's model kinda pales in comparison to your take on the classic Merchant Boat, lad, that's undeniable. You have the layout done right, much more accurate to the original than TLG's take, especially when we're talking about the bow and the deck overall; you have an actual CARGO on an actual MERCHANT ship, lol; you have the appropriate minifigs there (yes, I'm gonna keep on whining about the minifigures trouble in 10320 everywhere :pir_tong2:). Your model only lacks a steering wheel really and both yours & TLG's cutters have no functioning lid over the cargo hold like one in the OG design :pir-laugh: If I had no intent of buying 10320, I'd rather take your model & slap separately ordered sails from the set on it, and call it a day :pir-thumb: So mad props to you for the build, pal :thumbup:

Man that is some high praise! Thank you so much! I really wanted to incorporate the hatch from the original but couldn't find a good way to!