Chrome Vader

[MOC] Minifig-Scale Millennium Falcon

I just saw it and I'm in tears - it's so beautiful, it's so... perfect. 

It's not a LEGO model you've built, it's a work of art.

Wow, as far as Millennium Falcons go I feel like I've seen em all at this point, but this might just be my new favourite! the excellent photography certainly helps, and it honestly makes the UCS set sitting on my dresser look like crap in comparison. Oustanding work.

It's really impressive. So many detailing in this MOC. So inspiring.

Thank you all so much for the wonderfully kind words! I'm so glad you all like the build. Hopefully I'll be able to take it to a convention at some point this year, schedule permitting.

This is a wonderful MOC, but you do know that, right?

I wonder how you worked. Did you use stud.io, or real bricks? Do you know how many hours you spent on this?

Do you have any close-up of the cockpit?  And a side shot?

5 hours ago, Gray_Mouser said:

This is a wonderful MOC, but you do know that, right?

I wonder how you worked. Did you use stud.io, or real bricks? Do you know how many hours you spent on this?

Do you have any close-up of the cockpit?  And a side shot?

Thank you! 
I don't know how to use any of the digital programs, so I just accumulated tons of parts and started building ideas I had. I took a lot of very precise measurements to capture the proportions, which all had to be worked out very early, as it determined the size and dimensions of the main frame. I never tracked hours spent building, or time spent just thinking. It took me nearly two years to build from concept to reveal, although there were often weeks or months when I hardly touched it. I'd work on it 8 or 10 hours one week, then not touch it for two weeks, etc. The build process for individual parts of the ship was basically: idea -- prototype build it -- reimagine/reprototype it if result not satisfactory -- test fit prototype component -- rebuild the prototype with the proper detailing/colors. On a few occasions I ran into problems months later that required backtracking a bit. This Falcon was my first MOC as an adult (coming out of about a 15-year dark age), so not every part of my original design came together without need for modification.

The Falcon is currently on the coffee table and I no longer have my makeshift photography box set up. I took some photos of the cockpit as best I could with my phone and will link them here, but I can take better cockpit photos when I have time to setup my photography equipment again. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get a decent side-view, profile photo with the ship mounted on its stand -- at some point this summer I am taking it to display for a week at my local Bricks & Minifigs store, so I can get an edge-view photo then when it's off the stand.

52868520926_ae62a669ee_c.jpgIMG_1604 by Z W, on Flickr

52867950862_d130d49920_c.jpgIMG_1608 by Z W, on Flickr

52868520841_a5b5c6f47b_c.jpgIMG_1609 by Z W, on Flickr

52868906190_da7627d145_c.jpgIMG_1610 by Z W, on Flickr

52868690364_dac7c3944b_c.jpgIMG_1611 by Z W, on Flickr

52867951097_d8933895f6_c.jpgIMG_1612 by Z W, on Flickr

52868690369_f13473f6f9_c.jpgIMG_1613 by Z W, on Flickr

Edited by Chrome Vader

Wow... that is completely incredible. Puts the UCS one to shame. You sir, have won this whole forum for now. 

THIS is your first MOC? Oh my. I don't know how you could design it with real bricks only, but I think Jerac works the same way. You must have spent hundreds of hours on this, probably close to one thousand... I respect the commitment.

Thank you for the pictures of the cockpit. Brick cockpits are not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them best. More creative, and the lego ones tend to suck anyway (seriously lego, your x-wing canopy is backward).

Amazing job, really.

On 5/4/2023 at 4:11 AM, Crazy bricks said:

Wow... that is completely incredible. Puts the UCS one to shame. You sir, have won this whole forum for now. 

Thank you!

On 5/5/2023 at 5:19 AM, Shiva said:

Not many would be able to buy this, if this was released as a set.

I do wonder if Lego will ever release a set with such a high part count. I suppose they would have to reduce their profit margins to make it marketable.

10 hours ago, Gray_Mouser said:

THIS is your first MOC? Oh my. I don't know how you could design it with real bricks only, but I think Jerac works the same way. You must have spent hundreds of hours on this, probably close to one thousand... I respect the commitment.

Thank you for the pictures of the cockpit. Brick cockpits are not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them best. More creative, and the lego ones tend to suck anyway (seriously lego, your x-wing canopy is backward).

Amazing job, really.

Thank you! Yes, your hour estimates could very well be correct. I have plans for a couple of other large-scale builds (one SW, one not), and am currently accumulating the necessary parts, but those are a long way out yet. 
Yeah, I also prefer brick cockpits. The Falcon cockpit tested me, though, haha...I went through probably a dozen or so different designs before I settled on this one. 

In case anyone wants to see the Falcon in person, it's on display at Bricks and Minifigs in Plano, Texas through the end of July, 2023.

Thanks for the link! I watched the video shortly after it came out yesterday. Once again, very impressive work. It's great to see how the removable panels work and to see more of the interior details.

Sadly, Texas is a bit far for me to go (there's ano ocean in the way) but good luck with the display.

I hope this doesn’t sound rude but I have been looking for a model like this for a very long time. The only satisfaction I’ve received was with the Venator Moc released on brick vault not too long ago. This is even more accurate, more detailed, and perfect than that and I was already impressed. So my question to you is are you going to make instructions to build this? Because I will buy them😂

Edited by BrickJack

13 hours ago, BrickJack said:

I hope this doesn’t sound rude but I have been looking for a model like this for a very long time. The only satisfaction I’ve received was with the Venator Moc released on brick vault not too long ago. This is even more accurate, more detailed, and perfect than that and I was already impressed. So my question to you is are you going to make instructions to build this? Because I will buy them😂

Thank you so much! I do not currently have plans to make instructions any time soon, as I simply don't have time with my job, family affairs, and other Lego projects I am working on. I would also have to learn how to use one of the digital designer programs, which would add to the labor of the task. I won't say that I'll never make instructions, but if I do it'll be down the road a ways.

Wow! I saw the video today, and I have to say, it looks a hundred times better in these photos because the lighting is so similar to what they used in the movies. It really shows how accurate this is to the model used in the film. It looks incredible!

11 hours ago, Chrome Vader said:

Thank you so much! I do not currently have plans to make instructions any time soon, as I simply don't have time with my job, family affairs, and other Lego projects I am working on. I would also have to learn how to use one of the digital designer programs, which would add to the labor of the task. I won't say that I'll never make instructions, but if I do it'll be down the road a ways.

Thank you for responding! I completely understand your situation and I get it. I’ll be keeping my eye out for any instructions if they ever get made.